MAXIMUM OR GRIGGS???

RACINRICO

I am in the beginning stages of building an American Iron car. I am building a 92 Mustang GT and i was thinging of putting a IRS rear end from a cobra. Just wondering what was working best out there. Thanks for the help. Also, any good mustang junkyards in SoCal area to get used parts?

THANKS, RICHARD

Both makes excellent products, but if you want to use IRS you should go with MM since Griggs do not believe in IRS. The only Mustang junk yard I know about is the one in Sun Valley, but it's quite expensive, better to find pars online.

I have a MM setup and I love it. I have only been running for a year in hpde and do not know much about anything else on the market. A few people that have driven my 89 mustang coupe said that it handled well.

I have MM on my 95 Cobra and Griggs on my 94. Ultimately as long as you stay with one brand all the way through, you will be happy either way.

MM stuff is built heavier and more durable.

Brian

The IRS is sensitive to set up, and it does require more periodic adjustments. But it can and does work pretty well.

But for the time, money and complexity involved compared to a stick axle, does it work better? It seems like there would need to be a significant performance advantage to make up for those other factors, yet it doesn't appear that is the situation currently in AI. From talking to MM, I get the impression that the main reason they have spent so much time and effort developing parts for the IRS is not so much because they believe it is superior on the track, but because there is a decent sized market of people who have one and don't want to swap it out for a stick axle.

I am running the IRS in my 1999 Mustang Cobra, same as the MM setup. Because it came with the car, and I drove the car for years before racing, it only made sense to keep it. Personally, I really like having it as it allows for additional setup adjustments which can be tailored for each track, versus a solid stick axle. And so far, the IRS has allowed me to win in some nasty weather.... (or maybe it was just cool driving....).

It is heavy. If you have it, keep it, you can make the setup work. If you dont have it, stick with a solid axle and save the weight....

either way... you can make a winning setup.

Same if you go with Griggs or MM, either way, you will win. Remember, there are a few other suppliers out there besides these two companies....Steeda and Sean Hyland are good examples..... It just depends on how you want to design the setup of your car.....Talk to all suppliers then decide which direction you want to go....... Also, the Griggs SLA front setup is very nice.....

andy

I have full MM except for the adjustable rear sway bar (still have stock sway bars) I love it

My buddy has the GR40 on his 86GT and loves it. We both enjoy driving each others car.

Doesn't Steeda pay better? Sure looks like it in the payout lists!

I put Steeda's complete outfit on one car, however we had to use extra bracing, little weak in some areas, however it handled real well.

MM...built heavier to last, and pays out in contingency...

I basically bolted on a full catalog of MM parts. Adjusted everything ONE TIME in November of 2005....ran the entire 2006 season as a rookie NEVER TOUCHING the suspension, only tire pressures and brake pads were changed...wound up second only by 20 points because I missed too many races.

Either I am a badass driver or the stuff works.....you decide!

I dont know about Steeda, I called them once and asked them about thier adjustable rear sway bar (wheel rate) and the guy had NO idea what I was talking about. When I call MM, the ONE guy that seems to answer the phones there (Jason i think) knows the all the answers to my questions. Im sure Griggs is the same way but I dont have any personal expreience with them

everthing on my car is steeda except the front k-member is MM. Thwy just don't make one.

I am a big steeda fan and will be running them as my major contingency.

everthing on my car is steeda except the front k-member is MM. Thwy just don't make one.

I am a big steeda fan and will be running them as my major contingency.

If you have a MM K-Member, how are you running the required X2 balljoints?

Steeda's win record in other series and overall performance record speaks for itself, if you want to do your own research. Steeda's philosophy is different compared to MM or GR. The bashing of any of the performance companies is BS, I feel. We want all these companies to support our fun. Bashing them is ignorant. Steeda’s connection to Ford and Ford Racing is well established. Steeda is making an effort to get more in-tune to American Iron, so lets encourage them. If you really want to build a full Steeda design car, call Austin Craig and he will hook you up with an engineer, if you feel their sales team is not giving you the correct info.

No, I don’t work for Steeda, but they did pay me about $1,000 dollars this year in contingency money. Not bad. Lets be smart and encourage all the companies…

Andy

Andy!

I am by no means bashing any AI contingency sponsor. My remark, albeit short, was only intended to point out that a particular manufacturers contingency shouldn't be used as your consideration for the parts you choose. That contingency money is only for top finishers and unless there is zero doubt that you will finish up front regardless of the parts you use, that shouldn't factor in at all. I mean no disrespect to Steeda or anyone using Steeda parts. I apologize if I offended anyone.

Ryan

It's all good Ryan, my message was not really addressing you in particular or even this post, really. Sorry if I came across strong or anything..... This forum and the internet is very powerful, and my heart more intends to encourage us to support more companies.... more than anything...

You are 100% correct, that which ever supplier you go with, you kinda need to stick with them in a total design to perform well. The interview I did with Chuck at MM really pointed that out well. And this year, I got to chat with John Griggs and Patrick at Griggs about the same thing. Both MM and Griggs do this very very well educating drivers to stick to a platform as a system. Last month, I expressed to Steeda these issues and some (not so postive) comments some drivers had about their parts, and they really took it to heart. They (Steeda) have renewed thier contingency program for 2007 and I think they intend to develop/improve thier products for the AI series, as they see it growing. That helps us all....

I competed well this year because of MM gear on my car also. In fact, if I had listened to Chuck and Chris and others at MM (and/or GR ) back in March, I think the points margin between Gary and I would have been even closer...

FYI... In the past month or so, 3 more new rookies have called me to announce they intend to join us in 2007. It's gonna be fun....

andy

Dave,

As I said and you repeated you get no performance advantage (regardless of unsprung weight) but you do get an overly complex and overweight system. If Richard was using an existing car he owned that already had the IRS I would say maybe keep it…but even then I might suggest converting to a 9â€

Didn't MM bolt in a IRS to thier shop car and with a day or two of testing go faster then they did with the 3 link? Have they stayed with the IRS or did they switch it back?

Brian