2007 944 spec rules are out!

944-Spec#94

I am one of the future newbies, and I am not too thrillled with the new rules either, maybe because my car already has the bushings, header, and chip. This makes me very frustrated and I am not in any rush to compete in a NASA race anytime soon because of it either. But all of the horn blowing about a "national" class seems a little silly to me. If I read the rules right, there is basically an east coast set of rules and a west coast set of rules. And they are different enough to not be competitive in either area if the car is built to conform within both sets. So the whole "national" argument is benign. If we are truly attempting to be a national class. There would not have been appendix A and B to the "944 Challenge" rule set. Just a suggestion, if people are winning by spending money and therefore headers and chip must go. (this last sentence is a quote from someone mentioned many times in the thread). Why not just eliminate the chip and leave the exhaust alone. All the "dyno tuning" would be killed, and stock chips are certainly easy to come by and swap. Complete original exhaust systems are not so easy to change or get. On top of that, you can already see what is going to happen to the latest and greatest Gen III manifolds. And the fuel cell one is just weird, can't change the fuel filler system, but you can change the tank??? Where did that come from?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 944-Spec#94

• mfoley

• Packfill

• 944spec92

Why not just move to Spec-2 PCA . It seems that with the new rules , that NASA and few others have made a majority of Spec-1 cars are illegal. It seems a STEP backwards Changes mid year , what planning is that! Not a GOOD business plan. PCA, at least lets the racers have a voice and 1 years notice regarding changes. Not a Happy Camper, Happy Year!

Brian,

It's the combination of chip and expensive headers that can make the HP.

Complete original exhaust systems are very easy for you to get. Call AUTOBAHN at 619.444.2290

I'm with you on the fuel cell thing. My input was that I knew of only one cell made for 944's, which is expensive, and that the stock gas tank on a 944 was well protected in the chassis.

Edited by Guest

Ernie,

The reason we don't go to spec-2, which is actually 944 Cup, is that we are spec. We don't have or want the more open 944 Cup rules.

Another difference between NASA and PCA rules processes that will help explain things for you is that PCA is a club, whereas NASA is a business. NASA was trying to ease the transition of changes made to cars by not implementing all of the rules changes immediately.

I believe you only have 1 car complete right now (#21)? I feel bad for those who have completed cars and will need to return some parts to the cheaper stock ones, but then again, your other cars will be cheaper to produce and your customers will appreciate the closer racing.

It's the combination of chip and expensive headers that can make the HP.

So essentially its the chip that allows the engine to take advantage of the header? How about just making chips illegal? I have 2 aftermarket chips I was planning on testing (if and when I ever got around to it.) but still have stock chip in there. Not that I'm anywhere but at the back of the grid anyway. Like hell I'm going to change out my bushings (I think it was 800 in labor to get those in with my torsion bars.) Another 6 to 800 to buy and install a MSDS header and Lindsay exhaust to replace my cracked and rusted originals and those will not be replaced any time soon either, thank you very much. What with my 2 or 3 (maybe) available weekends to allow me a little fun with my car, NASA can turn me away at the gate if they wish.

Tim , We have 2 cars done, 1 half done, two ofwhich are entered for Sebring. 3rd cars a maybe. All 3 are within 1-2 hp. With all that real expensive stuff which is ILLEGAL now. A years notice would have been nice, mid-season?? Spec-2 is what you driving all Illegal Spec-1 cars to. You get what you pay for in racing, cheap + cheap =2nd place. See you at Sebring? What is "stock rubber of polyurethane" in 36 years of RACING ,have I heard of this material. Nor read of it in any other rules printed. Do we buy this stuff from you? Hows the DELRIN thing working out? NASA is a business I know that, it does'nt make sense to get your customers in a knot over making all of their race cars, ILLEGAL. ps let know were I can sell headers&chips, sounds like fish&chips. Am I happy NO, will vote my with feet. So much for running NASA races and Nationals. Please note, as all racers I can change my position at anytime, because we all JUST want to race. Reasonable notice would have been NICE, 6 months half-way into the season doesnt cut it. Two development programs for SPEC-1 forget it. WE do not "do it your way" Yours Ernie

Question is Ernie, on your cars, do you have anything (significantly) more than anyone else (in terms of power)? My good buddy David has a chip and intake and he has the exact same powerband that I have with '88 motor, chipped only. So, where would be the problem there? Wouldn't be, right? If we could document the basics of what are in peoples motors, and the power they make, it might turn out that 98% of motors are so close to being the same, it's not worth the heart ache of these changes? That would be nice right? De-Tune 2% of cars is a lot cheaper than re-conforming to the new rule set for everybody who is now out of spec!

Although unfortunately I know this doesn't work out in the long run? Well, unless we implemented a "get caught cheating, your banned for life" rule. Now THAT would be easier to understand than any "intent" rule?

What is "stock rubber of polyurethane" in 36 years of RACING ,have I heard of this material. Nor read of it in any other rules printed. Do we buy this stuff from you? Hows the DELRIN thing working out?

Yours Ernie

I agree... Delrin bushing are must for the crossmember point in the steel front A-arm cars. everywhere else you can run polyurethane bushings, but I simply don't care if you run delrin.

The intent of the bushing rule from day 1 has been NO METAL SPHERICALS. Everything else is ok. I HAVE NO IDEA WHY THEY TOOK DELRIN away. I will work to get it fixed.

I am nearly finished with my spec car and now it is not.

I was nearly going to go NASA racing and now I will not.

I am on a tight budget which does not allow me to spend money on things I destroyed/threw away 2 months ago. If they can change rules like this once they can/will do it again. Only next time I won't be around to see it.

I am nearly finished with my spec car and now it is not.

I was nearly going to go NASA racing and now I will not.

I am on a tight budget which does not allow me to spend money on things I destroyed/threw away 2 months ago.

What parts did you throw away? Chip & Headers?

I still have the chip somewhere, however the entire exhaust system was discarded for a MSDS headers and 3" pipes. I am also concerned about the lack of the previous line stating that weight limit may be met by removal of any component not specifically disallowed. My car has been completely stripped according to previous rules ie. interior excluding dash, exterior trim on bumpers unnecessary wiring. How is this interpretted now.

I still have the chip somewhere, however the entire exhaust system was discarded for a MSDS headers and 3" pipes. I am also concerned about the lack of the previous line stating that weight limit may be met by removal of any component not specifically disallowed. My car has been completely stripped according to previous rules ie. interior excluding dash, exterior trim on bumpers unnecessary wiring. How is this interpretted now.

Dave,

Stripping rules will be the same as before. I also noted that there is large lack of listing what can be removed from the car. However the intent is the same as before mean everything that is bolted down, can be scrapped of, is non metal and can be cut (ie wiring) can be removed provided the car can run on a race track, is safe, and does not look a POS hack job.

Things the cannot be removed are aluminum bumpers & supports all glass except for driver & pass doors, factory gauges, steel body panels.

Clearly the headers are not legal after June. Exhaust must exit in the stock location, but after stock headers jus needs to be stock diameter pipe.

Edited by Guest

I have tried to digest all these posts and I completely understand everyones concerns but have to say one quick thing.

If all of this bitching is done on-line for everyone to read....count on people getting scared from jumping into the group!

Selfishly, and I repeat SELFISHLY, I like the new rules.....

I DO NOT HAVE AND HAVE NEVER HAD THE FOLLOWING:

Chip, headers, bilsteins, high compression ratio, cone air filter or any other Whammy stuff. My car was built with all the spec items and where a rule seemed open to interpretation...I just kept it stock...even with my LSD! (porsche OEM)

Anyway, I feel for everyone that did what they did to thier cars, but in the quest for speed and the desire to be competitive sometimes people lose perspective....IT'S AMATEUR AND CLUB LEVEL RACING!!@!

Not going to thump my chest too hard, but I was able to be compeitive with an '84 car putting out 127hp and other than changing tires NEVER messing around with the car.

Oh yeah, no delrin bushings!

Anyone want to comment on my situation please let me know.....I have the car up for sale, BUT I am not saying all this to try and push the sale. Odds are that I will end up keeping the car and selling the 911 instead.

Jason Wilberding