Mustang light weight rims

D Algozine

I'm looking for some info on light weight, non custom rims to fit 95 Mustang with MM arms, and K member and Brembo brakes. When I refer to light weight, I mean sub 20lb, preferably 16-18lbs.

I have a set of 17x9 Forgelines, but adding shims to clear the calipers, moves the wheels out beyond the 72.5 max width. (Anyone want a set of Forgelines, 19lbs ?) (edit, wrong weight)

I see that Enkei has a couple. Can anyone confirm which, if any, will fit the above application? I see the Rpfl 17x9 and 17x9.5, and the Rpm2 17x9 appear to have the correct dimensions.

Any other off the shelf, quality brands that will fit?

What should I expect to pay for a custom set? Recommendations?

Edited by Guest

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• D Algozine

• BlackStripes

• Adam Ginsberg

• King Matt

Dave,

What is the backspacing on those? I could be interested.

Barry

Barry,

Backspacing is 6", measured from the outside lip of the rim. It's 5.75" from the tire beed.

I've got $800 in them, add shipping or pick up.

Dave

[email protected]

Are you sure the Forgelines are that light? I have a set of 16x8s and they weight 17.0 pounds on a postal scale. Other lightweight brands you could check are Weds Sport, Kosei, Volk. Take a look at the Tire Rack ad in GRM. They have a large selection of wheels with weights listed, and 17x9s are pretty common. You could also call CCW and see what a three-piece set will run (probably $1200-1500).

Are you sure the Forgelines are that light? I have a set of 16x8s and they weight 17.0 pounds on a postal scale. Other lightweight brands you could check are Weds Sport, Kosei, Volk. Take a look at the Tire Rack ad in GRM. They have a large selection of wheels with weights listed, and 17x9s are pretty common. You could also call CCW and see what a three-piece set will run (probably $1200-1500).

Matt,

Just checked the weight. They are 19lbs, not 16lbs, as told to me when I bought them. Sorry, I'll change the firgure.

Also, I know there are several brands that are close, but I'm interested in first hand experience that they will fit with the MM arms, K member, clear the Brembos and still remain under 72.5".

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

5" wide Festiva wheels would be lighter with less rolling and wind resistance.

Hell, I have a set of Kodiaks that are 11" wide and 18.8 pounds. Did I show you the 4 piece wheel from Autobahn? I think that the left rear is only 9 pounds. It doesn't hold air very well though.

• Members

Yes, MM sells the Konigs. They weigh in at 21 lbs. - might be heavier then you want but will probably fit your application with no problems. Call them to make sure - I just got a set and they seem to be pretty nice. Hope they'll take a beating, though...

Ed

Dave,

Hell, I have a set of Kodiaks that are 11" wide and 18.8 pounds. Did I show you the 4 piece wheel from Autobahn? I think that the left rear is only 9 pounds. It doesn't hold air very well though.

Maybe you could just run the space saver spares all the way around!

- Dave Diehl OH/IN #46 AI

http://www.hyperperformancemotorsports.com

I knew I could count on my fellow racers for some valueable information. Thanks guys.

Yes the MM Konigs will fit, but I'd really like to find something that is in the 16-18lb range, if possible.

Can you tell me the weight of the 5 bolt 17"x9" Cobra (chrome or polished) 5 spoke replicas that are so popular?

Thanks, Ron

Edited by Guest

Can you tell me the weight of the 5 bolt 17'x9' Cobra (chrome or polished) 5 spoke replicas that are so popular?

17 x 9 feet is a pretty big rim. I bet it weighs a ton.

Dave,

I knew I could count on my fellow racers for some valueable information. Thanks guys.

Yes the MM Konigs will fit, but I'd really like to find something that is in the 16-18lb range, if possible.

Why? I run the Konigs from MM. Do you think you need an advantage over me? Your motor stays together and mine usually doesn't. Don't spend the money for the advantage.

Dave,

Why? I run the Konigs from MM. Do you think you need an advantage over me? Your motor stays together and mine usually doesn't. Don't spend the money for the advantage.

I'm just getting prepared for when you get that engine dialed in. I'm going to need every advantage I can get. Plus, your wing is bigger than mine (Hell it's bigger than everyones. Does size really matter?). I've got to do something to get out front.

Wow, we are really getting hard up for some entertainment. Why doesn't someone make some lame, controversial, inflamitory, statements. That usually get things pumping. It takes our minds off of not racing.

I know squat about Mustangs, but 16-18lbs is light even for a 16x8, let alone a 17x9. Time to give CCW or Forgeline a call (and write a big check) if you want them that light.

Ron, They are 23 Lbs+-oz's. I've weighed several, almost always 23. 17/9 Bullets are also 23. Lite wheels will cost about 350-400 each thru Tire rack.

Are you ready to spend about $800/wheel? You're going to need at least 10 of them. 1 set of rains, 1 set of slicks and a spare of each you know.

Just glancing at the Tire Rack ad I saw three 17x9 wheels listed as being in the 15-16 pound range: SSR Comp-H, Weds Sport SA-90, and Kosei T1-S(?), ranging in price from about $260 to $340 per wheel. I'm sure that out of those choices you can find something that fits.

Just glancing at the Tire Rack ad I saw three 17x9 wheels listed as being in the 15-16 pound range: SSR Comp-H, Weds Sport SA-90, and Kosei T1-S(?), ranging in price from about $260 to $340 per wheel. I'm sure that out of those choices you can find something that fits.

Exactly, I am anticipating that someone already makes a rim that fits the bill, and it may be one from the Tirerack website, or this site http://www.edgeracing.com/ , or one that I haven't seen. I was hoping to find someone who can attest to the fitment of one of these, or another brand that will work for my set up.

Just to clarify, it's not just finding 17x9 rims that have the bolt pattern to match. The proper backspacing/offset, and the spoke configuration is critical to clearing the Brembo or Stoptech calipers. Back spacing of 5.9" to 6.1" should work, but again, the design needs to accomadate the larger calipers. The only way to confirm the fitment is to install a rim, and check the clearance. I'm hoping to stumble upon someone who has experience with one of these rims, or another brand, and can give some feedback.

It's been my experience that having (5) good dry weahter race rims works fine. I have another set to use for rains, since the wieght is not that critical for the rain, plus rains usually get used only once a year.

I have not seen any cars in OH-IN or Midwest, or any other region for that matter, running any of those rims. That doesn't mean they won't work, but you might have to be the guinea pig. Have you tried to call Tire Rack? They may know the answer.

I have not seen any cars in OH-IN or Midwest, or any other region for that matter, running any of those rims. That doesn't mean they won't work, but you might have to be the guinea pig. Have you tried to call Tire Rack? They may know the answer.

The direct approach, very sneaky. I'll give it a shot relay the info, here.

So based on the +-5 pounds per wheel, they will be fine for my first year or two.

When 20 pounds gets to be the ONLY reason I'm not winning races then I'll spend 2 grand on lighter wheels.

Thanks again... Ron