Mustang light weight rims

D Algozine

Ron, You're welcome and exacty right! Just buy Cobra R's or even the Bullets. They have the 50mm or about 2" spoke clearance to clear 4 piston, if you have them or down the road you'll be set. I have some ROH Snipers (I got on a trade) and they are about 19 lbs and clear everything nicely. My blk Bullets clear Brembos by 1/8th" and with 1/4 spacers they clear better. The stock 03-04 Cobra's clear too! Look what Bruce Griggs runs on ol blue, the AFS 23lb china wheels. Like Jason's non-fancy wings, like CMC's Griffin III's stock street wing, stock steering wheel, etc. Does it really matter?

It kinda depends on how full your money bag is, I guess!

I always buy in fives, like D Algozine said. It just works great like that, always rotating the fifth one in the bunch. You always have a spare matched in.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• D Algozine

• BlackStripes

• Adam Ginsberg

• King Matt

You're going to need at least 10 of them. 1 set of rains, 1 set of slicks and a spare of each you know.

Yeah... if you have the budget for that.

Persoanlly, I went the route of having 10/21lb wheels vs 5/18lb wheels. That was the point I was trying to make. Lighter race wheels are going to cost more.

The turnkey AI Mustang (90 hatch) that I purchased has the 17" Cobras on it. I was just checking to be sure they were close to what else is out there and didn't weigh twice what the others did.

I'll run 'em for a while then maybe retire them to spares or rains.

Can't wait to turn the first lap at Mid Ohio in April!

Ron

Persoanlly, I went the route of having 10/21lb wheels vs 5/18lb wheels. That was the point I was trying to make. Lighter race wheels are going to cost more.

I was even talking about having 10 tires mounted at one time. That's like having $1000+ in spare tires sitting on the trailer... no thanks.

That's one of the reasons I didn't go dirt track racing. At least then they were different compounds: Hoosier 10s, 20s, 30s, and 40s, oh my.

I will be lucky to have 4 rain tires mounted. And for rain tires who cars about a few extra pounds of rim weight (so hello cobra r rims).

I will run CCW's for my normal rims.

Exactly, I am anticipating that someone already makes a rim that fits the bill, and it may be one from the Tirerack website, or this site http://www.edgeracing.com/ , or one that I haven't seen. I was hoping to find someone who can attest to the fitment of one of these, or another brand that will work for my set up.

Just to clarify, it's not just finding 17x9 rims that have the bolt pattern to match. The proper backspacing/offset, and the spoke configuration is critical to clearing the Brembo or Stoptech calipers. Back spacing of 5.9" to 6.1" should work, but again, the design needs to accomadate the larger calipers. The only way to confirm the fitment is to install a rim, and check the clearance. I'm hoping to stumble upon someone who has experience with one of these rims, or another brand, and can give some feedback.

It's been my experience that having (5) good dry weahter race rims works fine. I have another set to use for rains, since the wieght is not that critical for the rain, plus rains usually get used only once a year.

Dave,

I have RP-F1's 17x9 in the front of my car. They can clear my Wilwood's with a 1/4 inch spacer. They might clear with 1/8" as well... i feel better having a little extra space .

Believe, they are LIGHT, I remember when i got them (about 3 years ago) i was SO pissed because i thought that they didn't mount the tires.!!! Until i opened the boxes... and yup, tires were there

Exactly, I am anticipating that someone already makes a rim that fits the bill, and it may be one from the Tirerack website, or this site http://www.edgeracing.com/ , or one that I haven't seen. I was hoping to find someone who can attest to the fitment of one of these, or another brand that will work for my set up.

Just to clarify, it's not just finding 17x9 rims that have the bolt pattern to match. The proper backspacing/offset, and the spoke configuration is critical to clearing the Brembo or Stoptech calipers. Back spacing of 5.9" to 6.1" should work, but again, the design needs to accomadate the larger calipers. The only way to confirm the fitment is to install a rim, and check the clearance. I'm hoping to stumble upon someone who has experience with one of these rims, or another brand, and can give some feedback.

It's been my experience that having (5) good dry weahter race rims works fine. I have another set to use for rains, since the wieght is not that critical for the rain, plus rains usually get used only once a year.

Dave,

I have RP-F1's 17x9 in the front of my car. They can clear my Wilwood's with a 1/4 inch spacer. They might clear with 1/8" as well... i feel better having a little extra space .

Believe, they are LIGHT, I remember when i got them (about 3 years ago) i was SO pissed because i thought that they didn't mount the tires.!!! Until i opened the boxes... and yup, tires were there

Thank you. I appreciate the information. This is exactly what I'm looking for. I'll need to determine if the Wilwoods and Brembos are similiar in design.

Thank you. I appreciate the information. This is exactly what I'm looking for. I'll need to determine if the Wilwoods and Brembos are similiar in design.

No problem.

I think you need more clearance for the Brembos, you can always confirm with them. I will put my 9.5"s (now in the back) in the front as soon as i get my new rims/tires for the rear, i will let you know if they have more clearance.

For the money you can't do much better than an Enkei or 5 Zigen , I'm going with the Enkei NT03's at just under 20 lbs. for a 18x9.5 . I have an 06 that is kind of hard to get wheels for and stay within the correct overall width . which brings up a nother Question that is for another thread .The wheel that is most interesting to me is the ccwheel.com , C14 , but very costly but the do clear the Brembo's . A friend AutoX's and has the Brembos with 17x9 and 17x10 Wed's on a 99 Stang . Looks great also

Clearing brakes with CCW's or other modular wheels is super easy and only adds to the cost the hub plates. All you do is find out how much more clearance you need at the spokes and add that the backspacing you need. Then install hub plates equivalent to the added backspacing. Example. All AI fox and SN-95 mustangs that use struts and run a cobra R type wheel use 6" backspacing. With wheels like CCW where spoke clearance is not as much just order 6-3/4" backspacing as well as 3/4" hub plates (brings installed backspacing back to 6") and you will clear any caliper out there. You could go less, but I know 3/4" works for anything with plenty of room to spare. You could also use the same backspace and thinner hub plates, like 1/2" to narrow the track if necessary or whatever combination works for you.

Jack Hidley from Maximum Motorsports had a set of those Enkeis on his Fox Mustang a few years ago at the OTC. As I recall, he said he bent one on a curb the first time he ran them. In other words, they are light, but they may be a bit too light if you are tough on wheels.

Jack Hidley from Maximum Motorsports had a set of those Enkeis on his Fox Mustang a few years ago at the OTC. As I recall, he said he bent one on a curb the first time he ran them. In other words, they are light, but they may be a bit too light if you are tough on wheels.

I contacted him a couple of years ago when i was thinking in getting a set of Stoptechs and he seemed pretty happy with them. Maybe he had a bad accident or something.

I have these wheels for about 4 years in my 3500lbs GT. I dont race, but i've put around 35K street miles and a dozen of track events. i've been off track a couple of times, but nothing too bad... i dont think they have one curb rush, so most likely i didnt 'test' them enough . I spilled brake fluid on one of them and the coat is not in the best shape though.

• 1 month later...

Dave,

There is no way the 17x9.5 RPF1 wheels will fit on a Mustang with Bremobs. I have Stoptechs on the front and it took some grinding on the caliper and a 1/2" wheel spacer to get the rims to clear. I tested the rims on our car with Brembos and it was going to take a 3/4"+ thick wheel spacer. This is all due to the shape of the caliper. The Enkeis have a drop section that is too far away from the inboard side of the spokes. This interferes with the corner of the caliper body. If you want I can e-mail you photos of the modifications to the Stoptechs. jhidley at comcast dot net.

When I bent the rim lip at the OTC, I think it was mostly due to the surface change (concrete to ashphalt) at the end of the back straight going into the sweeper in LV. I ran about 6" wide and the concrete ended, then the ashphalt had a couple inch lip. A Cobra R rim would have taken this, but they don't weight 17lbs. If you stay on the track, I think the wheels are fine. It's a bummer that they are really designed for Japanese cars.

I just ordered the Konig rims from Max Motorsports that have the correct offset. They supposedly will clear my wilwood brakes and front coil-over since it's there k-member.

These will be my rain tire rims. So they may be a little heavy but with full tread toyo's whats a few extra pounds.

The whole 4 rims only cost me $649.

You can't beat that.

• 4 weeks later...
Dave,

There is no way the 17x9.5 RPF1 wheels will fit on a Mustang with Bremobs. I have Stoptechs on the front and it took some grinding on the caliper and a 1/2" wheel spacer to get the rims to clear. I tested the rims on our car with Brembos and it was going to take a 3/4"+ thick wheel spacer. This is all due to the shape of the caliper. The Enkeis have a drop section that is too far away from the inboard side of the spokes. This interferes with the corner of the caliper body. If you want I can e-mail you photos of the modifications to the Stoptechs. jhidley at comcast dot net.

When I bent the rim lip at the OTC, I think it was mostly due to the surface change (concrete to ashphalt) at the end of the back straight going into the sweeper in LV. I ran about 6" wide and the concrete ended, then the ashphalt had a couple inch lip. A Cobra R rim would have taken this, but they don't weight 17lbs. If you stay on the track, I think the wheels are fine. It's a bummer that they are really designed for Japanese cars.

Back again.

Can anyone confrim or deny the fitment of the Enkei 17x9 (not 9.5) Rpf1 with the Brembo calipers? By my calculations, I will still be AI legal (72.5") after adding 1/2" spacers. Will 1/2" spacers be enough to clear the Brembo caliper? Based on Jack's statement above, I'm guessing it's not going to make it, but I've got to ask.

thanks

Dave

Back again.

Can anyone confrim or deny the fitment of the Enkei 17x9 (not 9.5) Rpf1 with the Brembo calipers? By my calculations, I will still be AI legal (72.5") after adding 1/2" spacers. Will 1/2" spacers be enough to clear the Brembo caliper? Based on Jack's statement above, I'm guessing it's not going to make it, but I've got to ask.

thanks

Dave

Dave,

As i said before I dont have Brembo's but, yesterday i put my 17x9.5" wheels in the front for the first time (had newer tires and i am going to VIR this weekend) and i can assure you that the 17x9" have less caliper clearance than the 17x9.5", there is about 3mm difference and the rest of the 10mm or so, are inside, which put my tire pretty close to my coilovers, but nothing to worry about.

FYI. There is no way in hell that the 18x10.5's will fit in the front of a Mustang, they actually sit flushed in the back. Oh, and they are just about 20lbs!!!

Dave,

Back again.

thanks

Dave

To clarify. I'm interested in first hand experience. Are 1/2" spacers enough to allow Enkei Rpf1 17x9's clear the Brembo caliper?

Thanks,

Dave

Any AI drivers using these rims?

MB Competition's, sold at Tire Rack. $153 per rim, about ~19-20lbs.

The FFR folks have been using them for awhile. 27mm and 17mm offsets are available, and they have damn good clearance for large calipers:

rim-caliper.jpg

Granted, my setup is for CMC and not AI - 12" rotor, standard PBR/Cobra caliper, 16x8 rim.

Any AI drivers using these rims?

MB Competition's, sold at Tire Rack. $153 per rim, about ~19-20lbs.

The FFR folks have been using them for awhile. 27mm and 17mm offsets are available, and they have damn good clearance for large calipers:

rim-caliper.jpg

Granted, my setup is for CMC and not AI - 12" rotor, standard PBR/Cobra caliper, 16x8 rim.

I have a brand new set sitting in my shop. I'm planning on running them this year and we'll see how they hold up. They clear the Brembo's and Stoptech's. They are also lighter than the Konig wheels I have on the car now, and look a little better. Ok, maybe just a lot cleaner. My Konigs have a lot of Hawk brake dust on them over the past 5 years.

ea24108f.jpg

ea241053.jpg

Hey Mark, How much do they weigh and are they 17/9 or 9.5? How much more $ are the 17's?

Thanks

The price I quoted is for the 17's ( $153 ). 16x8's are ~$120 per rim. The largest is 17x9. 16x8's weigh 17lbs.