Sign in to follow this  
xenogti

Cage pre-installed in car... worried about not passing tech

xenogti

Well, I purchased a shell with the intent of using it in Rally Sport. The shell is a 1983 VW GTi. The car came with a 12 point welded cage "kit". I have not been able to find out who made the "kit" but I am guessing that it came from AutoPower.

After reading through some of the rules, and looking at the diagrams, I am afraid that the cage will not pass inspection. I have attached some pics bellow. This is what I am working with. I have a feeling that it will not be good, but any advice/info would be great.

So, if this cage is fubar'd, does anyone know of a good place in Ohio (preferably close to Dayton) that could set me straight?

Thanks in advance

CJ

Oh yeah, ignore the fan. I know it's not regulation.

DSCF2592.JPG

DSCF2593.JPG

DSCF2594.JPG

DSCF2595.JPG

DSCF2596.JPG

DSCF2597.JPG

wvonkessler

One of the techs will pop up in just a bit to give you the real skinny.

First thing that you want to check is the type of tubing, diameter and thickness. If it is ERW tubing (with a visible seam), you will have to tear it out. If it is DOM tubing, then you will need to check its thickness, either .120 or .095 depending on tubing size.

If it passes these issues, then I would suggest that all is not bad. The rear stays really need to attach to the rear wheel tubs. It will also need various gussets.

As I said, hang tight for a learned reply.

Wilson

xenogti

Thanks for the reply Wilson. It is DOM, from what I can tell. I have not checked the thickness of the tubing though.

turoc

It seems to me that the cage was built with out proper knowledge of building a cage. I am no expert but i would imagine that it should have been built tighter to the chasis particularly the main hoop. Check for wall thickness, at least that was the first thing I was when i was in your shoes...

starion887

Hi CJ,

In what part of the country are you located? Let us know so we can get you hooked up with the closest NRS tech. Edit: Ooops I missed the Dayton, OH part; I am probably closest; I PM'd my phone numbers.

Do you know approximately when the roll cage kit was purchased? Any records on that or when it was installed?

I see a few things:

- The front dash bars look to be in a VERY bad position relative to the drivers. It/they probably need to go.

- The main hoop lower parts could and should be closer to the B-pillar.

- The top connections of the backstays should be further out, near where the halo connects to the main hoop.

- There's no diagonal in the palne of the backstays.

- The lower connection of the A-pillar bars should go direct to the floor plate at the base of the A pillar; instead, they are welded to the top of the door bars.

- In general the fit to the car could be better; that's not a big surprise with the source of cage.

Some good:

- The floor plates are nice and healthy sized!

I'll PM you my phone number here and we can talk.

BTW, Andrew Frick just got a cage built in a Focus over in Columbus OH.

Regards,

Mark B.

NRS Techie

xenogti

Thanks for the info. You confirmed everything that I was afraid of. Without a lot of major tweaking, the cage is pretty useless. I've had the shell for some time, I just had not sat down and actually checked the specs and compared them to the cage. Minor, yet pricey, mistake and obstacle I guess. I can't complain too much. I sold an AutoPower bolt in cage and used the money to buy that shell. As far as I see it, I'm still out on top.

I need to decide whether to push the project off until next winter, or find a way to build the cage and continue towards the end of season staged event and maybe miss some rally cross events. It kind of sucks that I tore apart the donor (the rallycross car I used last year) already. haha. That car had rust holes everywhere though.. so like I said, I'm still ahead.

Mark, I will give you a call and pick your brain a bit more. Thanks again for the input.

starion887

I look forward to speaking with you, CJ. The shell does have some good attributes like the reinforced front strut tops (they were pretty weak then), so you have a good start in some areas.

Regards,

Mark B.

Andrew_Frick

Hello CJ,

I live in Columbus, OH. And I just had a cage put in my car by Benders' Race Cars. You can google them. Don Bender is the owner and does really nice work. You are welcome to swing by Columbus and check out my cage for a reference. PM me and I can get you directions.

Andrew