Type of car for HPDE 1

trader1

Hi everyone. I am attending the HPDE 1 class at Lime Rock on 8/4 and was wondering if a Saab 93 Turbo would be an ok car to bring. If not, would anyone advise renting a car? I beleive there are a few places that rent porsches or vettes for the day - obviously I wouldn't tell them I was bringin git to this event. Thoughts anyone?

A 9-3 turbo is a perfectly acceptable car to bring to an HPDE event, just make sure it is mechanically sound, especially the brakes. Check out the thread just a few spots down started be edkwok for lots of useful tips for the HPDE experience.

Use the Saab. Sounds like a fun car to try in HPDE. Make sure your tires are in good shape(no dry rotting), make sure the brake fluid is fresh with a high boiling point. Throw on a fresh set of pads. Have fun!

Slight variation and thread hi-jack.

Planning on running a HPDE very soon. My personal car will not be ready but I have access to an ITS RX7. Is this going to pose an issue since it will be impossible for an instructer to ride along in the RX7, cage bracing and no seat?

This will be my 'first official' HPDE although I've held licenses w/ AMA and FIM. Transitioning over to 4 wheels from 2. I've already been told I can move up thru the run groups quickly during the weekend.

you'll need a seat for the instructor for DE1 & 2

the Saab should be a fun car for DEs I'd imagine... I've seen everything from 60hp CRXs to 600hp Vipers in DE1. and whats really funny is to see the Viper give a point by to the CRX

slower cars, in my opinion, are more fun in the beggining and intermediate groups

I think that it was a NASA event, could be wrong, but someone had a NASCAR type racer that had only one seat in a DE. The instructor drove a lead car and the other one followed.

Only problem with that is that there's no way to communicate with the student, or to view minor bad habits they're making (hand position/movement, where they're looking, etc.). I'd look into a rental Neon or something before a 1-seater for your first time, just to be safe. Depending on where you are too, there may be HPDE-type cars for rent. I know here (East Coast) there used to be a guy who rented out an Impreza (no idea if he's still doing it) that was track-ready.