Ferrari Challenge

TexaST-1

Greg,

We have several Ferrari Challenge Cars down here asking me about GPC, I am diverting them to ST. Have you given them any thought?

Factory Built Race Car (Similar to Porsche Cup)

My opionion:

348C - ST-2

355C - ST-2

360 - ST-2/1, I am on the fence on this one

430C - ST-1

This is based on them being as delivered from Ferrari.

Is there a place where you can look up laptimes and see the tire configs? I think it would be wonderful to see more Ferraris on track.

Wasn't there a 355C that regularly ran with NASA at Sears Point?

I know down here in Texas, and this is one of the reason motivating me to write the original rules for Grand Production Challenge (GPC), we have

3 - 355 Challenges

1 - 348 Challenge

1- 430 Challenge

The 360 Challenge is classed in T1. At the 2006 Run Offs a very well driven 360C had the outside pole, but faded in the race for some reason. Ed Zabinsky was the driver, and I understand he is pretty good.

My point is that the 360C has potential similar to a SRT10 Viper in T1 trim (my car made 445 RWHP @ 3700 lbs last year). Thus ST2.

The 430C is classified in SCCA's Super Touring along with the Viper with no restrictor plate and ballast (465 RWHP @ 3400 lbs). Thus ST1.

Just my thoughts, I am certainly no expect with this stuff.

DMP

• National Staff

David, the 360 Challenge cars in T1 are only '00-'02 and they run a restrictor plate. The later model 360 Challenge cars are better cars, and they got lighter as well.

Kevin, the 360 Challenge Stradale is actually a street legal production vehicle, and therefore is legal already in ST without an additional modification factor or approval. I think that the 348 Challenge may have been street legal also, but I'm not sure. In fact, the PT rules actually list the 360 Challenge cars as being ST/SU cars. And the 348 street car is in the PTB base class, so after adding the "Challenge" mods, it might still be a PTA car (but can still run in ST, of course). I think that after including the -.2 modification factor that just about all of the 360's and 430's will take for the semi-automatic tranny, and the total weight modification factor (they seem to range from 2600-2800 without driver), they will all end up in ST1 if they don't add a restrictor plate or ballast, or both.

Since some of them will be legal without an additional modification factor, and they are not tube-frame cars anyway, I think we will just allow them all in '07 without any additional modification factors, except for the 430 Challenge. I think we will put a -0.2 modification factor on it for '07, similar to the Comp Coupe. However, I read that there will be a 430 Challenge Stradale model next year that will be street legal, have an additional 30 hp, and retain most of the Challenge racecars features, except for a few items necessary to make it street legal (like the lexan windows). So, we may end up getting rid of the extra modification factor in '08.

This series is looking better and better, and we still haven't even had one race yet!

>> ...and we still haven't even had one race yet!

Not true. FFR driver Scott McKay in Florida become the first guy in the country to run ST-2 and Ernie Francis became the nation's first competitor in ST-1 driving a Corvette.

On Sunday, the Corvette was replaced in ST-1, somewhat ironically, by Jonathan Eismann driving (drum roll please) a Ferrari 360 Challenge car.

I didn't know I was the first in the country to run in ST-2, but I made them proud, put the car on the outside poll and drove it hard despite being on 28 heat cycle Kumhos that just wouldn't turn or stop. Hoping to see a big field of ST-2 cars in Florida.