WORLD PREMIERE VIDEO- 2006 Texas AI/CMC Season Review

tacovini

Am I the only one that sees a whole bunch of unnecessary contact and bone headed driving?

Riiiighhhttt.....'cause Texas is the ONLY region where drivers occasionally make mistakes like going off track, pulling some Hail Mary bonzai move, etc.

That was a compliation from an entire season....please don't try to tell everyone here that your region hasn't had similar stuff go on. At least the drivers in Texas can occasionally laugh at themselves....remember, we do this for fun, not for money.

That damn video is a freak'n HOOT. Lighten up, Tone.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tacovini

• Glenn

• ST#97

• WA2FST4U

Top Posters In This Topic

....remember, we do this for fun, not for money.

That is the exact reason why low percentage moves resulting in blowing through corners and impacting other cars is totally uncalled for.

I dug it! Sure, there were a lot of racing moves that made me cringe and folks I've decided to give a wide berth to if I'm ever sharing a track with them...

But I think I'm jealous of how large your field is and how close the racing is! And it looks like your camaraderie is strong! Good looking tracks too! So similar to CA!

I think I would have put the "Had a Bad Day" stuff in the middle tho, and ended the video with some of the cleaner and exciting racing. It's all hype at first and then tapers off to almost sadness. At least from my perspective--hey, a little constructive criticism doesn't hurt, right?

Way to go Tek racing on the video! And I'm sorry, but I almost peed my pants laughing at the dude that lost the wheel at the end. Tee hee hee! I've lost my hood twice but haven't done that one yet! Knocking on wood!

Thanks!

Christine

That was awesome, nice job.

Looks like you folks know how to have fun. Anyhoo of to the garage I go, car is almost finished (i've been saying that for the last couple of months)

Declan

....remember, we do this for fun, not for money.

That is the exact reason why low percentage moves resulting in blowing through corners and impacting other cars is totally uncalled for.

Some need to stick to HPDE's or I've heard parade laps can be quite competitive.. go check 'em out.

Minimize the risks, be prepared and knowing without a doubt that anything can happen while racing. We (here in Texas) have a lot of respect for one another and really go out of our way to watch out for each other. Mistakes are made in each and every region across the land. We can look at these mistakes and educate one another of the consequences that results from an incident, thus making the series even safer in the future.

I trust everyone I race with on-track and if there are issues, they are discussed and resolved. There is no room for error on the edge inches apart from 20+ cars.

Don't Mess With Texas.

Some need to stick to HPDE's or I've heard parade laps can be quite competitive.. go check 'em out.

That is exactly what I was thinking or maybe playstation is the right venue for some to be racing.

Isn't this the same region where the entire AI/CMC run group was put on probation for a couple of events to calm down the driving?

Isn't this the same region where the entire AI/CMC run group was put on probation for a couple of events to calm down the driving?

Matt,

We got a little agressive mid-season, but did tone it down a notch and have enjoyed much closer racing without major incident since.

Am I the only one that sees a whole bunch of unnecessary contact and bone headed driving?

I'm sure you've NEVER scuffed a car or went into a braking zone too hard? As it has been said before, this is a highlight video, not a single race.

Oh, and just to set the record straight there ARE two "Mosty" cars out there. Michael just happended to submit his entire season for edit and therefore got more airtime.

Our CMC field is very competitve. If you don't agree, why did we have two podium spots at Nationals in '06??

Nope just bone headed key-boarding.

show the video of the mustang flying in between all the cars doing around 80 mph into the curve to somebody try to pass a kidney stone. should most certainly do the trick. that-a-boy goes to the guys taking the crap poeple are giving y'all. the video is for fun. sure there was some "stuff" going on but sometimes **it happens. personnally i would try to avoid "stuff" like that; but that's just me and maybe i wouldn't have what it takes to hang. ANYWAYS this post has been some the best reading on the whole forum lately.

YEA HAW!!!!!!

OK, my bad. Watched the video, got pissed and let you have it.

Read the posts and I'm convinced that "highlights" ARE different then a full season of racing and I'm convinced that MOST racers in any region are smart, safe and making good decisions. It was a good video and any in car stuff is always great to watch.

But... you clearly show some REALLY stupid and dangerous "lines".

Sorry for jumping on your fun.

I learned 30 years ago that "the second car through the turn is usually the one with the new paint!"

See ya at the run offs.

Ron

AI

Columbus, OH

are you refering to the red/silver fox that just narrowly missed another fox coupe and then went flying off the course? you mean the guy who had a major brake line failure @ Hallett going into turn 2? the one who had the awareness to turn the opposite direction than the track so as not to T bone the car about to make the turn?

watch it again and now you will realize what a good thing he did. and he did it @ well over 100 MPH. not sure about your region, but we all bought that guy a beer later. and he was a rookie in 2006.

or like the few clips of the cars that slid off due to a POS out of class car that oiled down the whole f'ing track on line (all the way around) before he was flagged off.

there are alot of things you guys dont know about those "clips". dont judge too harshly w/out knowing the whole story. i do know, if you beat a TX CMC car (a big if) you beat them knowing they gave you 100% of what they have. i'de put any of our top 5 guys against all of the other regions Champions any time. we have a really good group of racers. i was at Nationals in 2006. i've had much tougher racing @ home.

...big talk can put people in positions to eat crow a later date...

Let's see how Nationals goes when they black flag passes under yellows and don't release the field into another class under yellow... I not saying I will do any better this year but to talk crap after people correctly comment on some of the driving on that video is getting out of hand. I see plenty of silly things that could be in the addendum of the CCR. The driving looks nothing like the professional road racing that I love to watch on TV on video nor through my windshield. Hmmm. seems to me I had this conversation with someone back in Sept...

I enjoyed the video but I think it highlights the variances in driving (and sanctioning) across the regions.

Have a nice day.

...big talk can put people in positions to eat crow a later date...

Let's see how Nationals goes when they black flag passes under yellows and don't release the field into another class under yellow...

i guess this was directed @ me. if so, i'll fill you in. i started 4th. by the exit of turn 4, i checked up and fell to 7th or 8th due to the jacked up start. so dont act as though i benefited from any of the confusion. i still worked back up to 3rd.

go back and look @ lap times. and 4 of the top 10 are from TX. track record was set that weekend by a local and i was .2 off during the the same race first time i ever raced there.

i'm not saying we are better than anyone else. but i stand by my comment "i've had much tougher racing here @ home". sorry if your offended by that. not my intention and not directed at anyone particular.

Well, as a TX racer who didn't attend the unveiling of the video, but got a shot of it last night for the first time....I have to say my reaction was similar to many of the others in this thread. Wow, I guess I never realized there was this much off track stuff and contact going on...behind me. Guys, I don't mean to stick the knife in deeper but I think I will stay out with AI group well ahead of the stuff I saw in this vid.. I do realize those are only the "highlights"....but, I have plenty of video of Chris, John and myself running just as close if not closer and I have ZERO marks on my car from this last season.

Maybe I don't have a clear understanding of how far OVER the edge you guys are taking the CMC cars as compared to our sunday driving AI cars....but I don't think I want to either!

Hats off to the video creators though....we have yet to see another region step up with a regional vid anywhere near this level.

And as far as the smack talk from the TX region goes....trust me, there is plenty of skill to back it up...you are going to get a bigger taste in September especially in the AI group! Be ready!!!!

As for my reaction for when my rear wheel came off, I only had two thoughts... 1. Please don't hit a kid!!! 2. Did I really just get 3rd place on 3 wheels???

Gents, I am the outsider looking in so some will treat my perspective as worthless while others look at it as useful.

My first reaction was the same as Tone and some others. "Sheesh. They sure get away with a lot of contact down there." My second reaction - which is the one you might car about - was "I am sure glad I don't run with them."

Let me back up and say that the video is great and very entertaining for many. I know many other groups are watching it and wouldn't be surprised if this video is one of the most popular race videos on the internet last week. I also suspect that most of the video replays don't have the benefit of the discussion on the NASA forum threads where the good guys in Texas get to explain that it is a video that takes things out of context and tends to magnify things just because of the small stuff you see. I can't help but thinking that the analogy for this video is all the current hoopla over Anna Nicole Smith: people are strangely drawn to watching the trageda, but when you are done you ask yourself if all that was really necessary.

I'm the first to say that boring clean passes and the perfect line DO NOT make for good video. Just like watching on TV, they want to see escapes from danger or the actual danger of the crash or contact. The website WreckedExotics certainly gets a lot more traffic than some website of nice cars sitting in a parking lot.

I think the dilemma that anyone in the AI/CMC family has is how to balance the video with the needs of the class. In this case, a compelling video (one with the contact and low percentage moves - that we all make sometimes) isn't necessarily one that encourages you to run the class. But at the same time, if people don't watch it, then it isn't useful to encourage them to come out either. There is a balancing act.

What really magnifies this video to some of us outsiders, however, is that this comes on the heels of Nationals. As a guy who stood up on the balcony of the far pits to be able to see a big portion of the track, I was *overwhelmed* at the amount of car contact that I saw. I remarked to several people that it had been a long time since I had seen a road race with anywhere close to the amount of contact that was at Nationals. When this video comes out right after what observers saw at Nationals, it does make your eyes pop-out, especially if you don't get the benefit of seeing this thread to put it in contact.

Finally, the one area where things get out of hand is the name-calling that has gone on in this thread. Saying a group of drivers' actions is "boneheaded" probably isn't constructive. Personally attacking the guy who posted the observation is worse. The AI/CMC guys I meet all have big personalities. I expect differing view points among you guys. But if you guys can't have differences of opinion that avoid personal attacks then I think you have bigger problems.

Thanks for posting the video! Thanks for explaining the clarifications. My best wishes to all of you and I look forward to seeing you guys on track soon.

guess you know who this goes ,too!

is it the readin' or the comprehendin' that you have trouble with?

how about that highlight scared the crap out of me and ***pped in your brain bucket. that would be pretty ***tty? get a grip dude. i was saying that scene made me come off my seat about 6 inches. i would have done the same thing that guy did ; rather than harm someone else if givin the opportunity.

i was backing up the texas guys! read again! ie. probably couldn't hang.

sorry about the out burst; just been eating at me the past couple off days.

once again the video was for enjoyment(ie. fun), seems like the texas guys are alright with that ( my opinion only; no need for any comments).

that's it for me

guess you know who this goes ,too!

is it the readin' or the comprehendin' that you have trouble with?

how about that highlight scared the crap out of me and ***pped in your brain bucket. that would be pretty ***tty? get a grip dude. i was saying that scene made me come off my seat about 6 inches. i would have done the same thing that guy did ; rather than harm someone else if givin the opportunity.

i was backing up the texas guys! read again! ie. probably couldn't hang.

sorry about the out burst; just been eating at me the past couple off days.

once again the video was for enjoyment(ie. fun), seems like the texas guys are alright with that ( my opinion only; no need for any comments).

that's it for me

my bad. you are correct. i mis-took your post as i was reading all the others.

sorry.

I also need to clarify -

I think that the Texas guys might be the best in CMC. Clean it up and I will wash your feet.

This dialog is not questioning the ability of the drivers' capacity to make a fast lap. It is simply about adherence to the CCR. That's all.

and how are we not adhearing to the CCR?

Probably something about corralling the over agressive driving. More of a race director issue with keeping tabs on the drivers in his region. Remember the driver "points" system and monitoring "bad driving"....?

my bad. you are correct. i mis-took your post as i was reading all the others.

sorry.

I appreciate that man. My blood wasn't exactly boiling over your comments. I guess I should have explained myself alittle bit better on my original posting.

I geuss testosterone levels are getting a little high in here.

Thanks, MOTOR ON!!!!!

Todd,

What an awesome video and needless to say the editing is a LOT of work but well worth the effort in my opinion. As you know, at some of the past Nor Cal awards banquets there have been some similar videos and while viewed at a dinner they can be quite entertaining to say the least. I for one love them and as a matter of fact it's almost as if I am swept away in some time machine as the entire last season finds it's way onto the screen before us.

It seems some forget this took a whole season to take place and for the most part these where the best of the worst. As entertaining as they are to view, if anything we learn from such media. I for one have always been amazed at how clean the CMC gang drives not to mention the comradery amongst them. And when it comes to door to door driving if people want to see what it's all about, God only knows they should see the championship that was decided by a one lap run off between a Ford and Chevy at Thunderhill.

I remember when my very young son needed two more races in order to obtain his "Non-rookie" status so he could compete in the 25 Hours of Thunderhill and the CMC guys said, "He can run with us." Having seen many of your race at all the tracks I never had any doubt that he would be running with one of the cleanest groups in all of NASA. The bottom line for me is, racing is rubbing and things happen but when all the dust settles, the CMC gang takes care of their own. What a class act bunch of fellas.

So when are you coming back up here to run a few laps? Thanks again for an awesome video and all the effort from those who took the time to make it possible. (How do you spell Tavern car racing? LOL)

Thanks for all the comments folks.

I'm sure the videographers at TEK Racing and our Texas "stars of the film" have been watching this board intently this past week. Personally, I knew that the video would likely bring on some criticism from some and enjoyment for many. (The 2005 Season Recap video also brought on some similar criticism/concern.)

I like to think that no matter where we're from, we're all "AI/CMC" if we race in this series. The last thing we wanted is to have fellow racers nipping at each other, or worse yet, start stereotyping one region over another. (Nationals was very cool in that for one weekend we were all in one region at one event and it didn't matter where you came from.)

The Texas season recap videos are time capsules of our racing seasons. We'll have those videos to look back on and laugh at the good times and bad for many years. The primary audience is for our Texas competitors, but we invited you along for the ride, because y'all are AI/CMC too.

It's my opinion that if something "exciting" happened during our race season, and we have it on tape...it's fair game for the season recap video. In Texas, we're not about glossing anything over or hiding anything under the rug. As many of the Texas racers can attest to, there's a story behind each and every video clip and each and every photo in the video that anyone outside of Texas likely won't see. Yes, There were black flags, checkered flags, body contact forms, offers to fix cars, flaring tempers, cold beers, stern driver meetings, lighthearted BBQ's with Brats and a whole lot-o-drama last season. All in all...we had fun, which is what it's all about. The video simply summed up our season.

We're certainly hoping that the 2007 season brings us less dramatic footage and less body contact; (we did have an issue earlier in the 2006 season which was nipped in the bud by the Race Director.) I like to think that many of us learned a great deal from our experiences, but as the series continues to grow in Texas there will always be those who still have not yet had that "opportunity".

As Mr. Faules pointed out, many years ago there was a 1 lap shootout at Thunderhill to decide our CMC champion. I was there for that event and wish I had a season recap video to replay those days from ~10 years ago. But it's OK, because I've got videos today of our Texas guys racing hard, making mistakes, getting faster, losing a hood or a wheel here or there and havin' a blast....just like I did those years ago!

The best time to create history is today!

-=- Todd