WORLD PREMIERE VIDEO- 2006 Texas AI/CMC Season Review

tacovini

Todd, Regarding that one lap race, to this day, that race is the only one I can remember that literally was door to door thru every single turn of the track and it was too close to call at the finish line. They went into turn one side by side, then we saw them come out of three door to door and into four, up over the Cyclone, down into six side by side and then still door to door until they disappeared. Then a few seconds later someone shouted, "Thier side by side out of 11!" As the entire NASA crowd from all classes leaned over the wall here came both cars out of the last turn onto the straight and there was some serious crowd antics to say the least. DAMN... What a race!

Regarding Texas Vs California... the way I see it is the only difference is here you don't have to drive around the meadow muffins. LOL.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tacovini

• Glenn

• ST#97

• WA2FST4U

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate these posts and never say anything, but I have to weigh in. That video was great, and as a video editor myself (as a hobby) I know that took countless hours to make. Great job.

My only problem is you guys are getting a bad name and I think it is very unfortunate. I paddocked next to some Texas AI guys at the nationals and I have to say that your region is outstanding off the track. But on the track, I had to deal with some very crazy moves from some Texas guys. I started in the back because I missed a qualify run and I had a chance to race against almost every Texas car out there. There is a difference between us (OH/IN) and your region on track. I have no data (other than video) and I am deffinately not a professional, but you guys are just more agressive when it really isn't necessary. And as far as any other region putting out a video, I tried. There was not enough interesting footage to make a 3 minute video from our region.

Our director worked with our region very agressively starting at the beginning of 06 and came down pretty hard on some folks for on track contact. At the time, it seemed pretty extreme to some OH/IN folks. But what Dave Royce was doing was preparing us for the Championships. I think it paid of for us not only in the Nationals but also in our own region as we began to understand that if we had contact, someone was getting penalized. There is not one single person in my region that I do not feel comfortable racing side by side with through any set of turns because it is such clean racing and I trust everyone in my class to not be stupid with my life. I wish I could say that about the Texas guys and gals because you are a great bunch of people that I would like to see do well in the AI Nationals. Maybe the video is misrepresentative, and maybe I am way off. I just wish you guys could clean it up a bit for the sake of the sport and for the sake of safety. Look forward to seeing y'all at Nationals. I really don't want to offend anyone, I just think someone is going to get hurt if this continues.

If it does offend you, then find me at the Nationals and I will buy you a beer.

Greg Walker

#78 AI

OH/IN Region

Greg Walker

#78 AI

OH/IN Region

Greg, not offended but I WILL hit you up for a beer at nationals!!! You can make it my victory beverage! And yes, the S-talk has officially started!

Greg Walker

#78 AI

OH/IN Region

Greg, not offended but I WILL hit you at nationals!!! And yes, the S-talk has officially started!

Is that really necessary?

It was too easy to pass up......

Since the S-Talk has started........

After I reviewed my post, I sound way too nice. I would like to add the following after the word beer:

"As long as you wear your typical Texas style Frisbie for a belt buckle and warsh (not wash) the cow dung off your racing shoes before you step foot in my paddock area."

Of course, I can't talk much because I am from KY...oh well.

Thanks for allowing me to amend.

its not like we shake hands and move on after a contact issue. i filled a protest against a very good friend for contact. no one is exempt and we all treat each other fairly.

its nice to know what other regions think of us, and i will pass on these views to our guys who have not had the chance to read this.

and since you mentioned it, did you have any issues w/ me @ Nationals? i was the silver and black 4th gen w/ lime green 770.

hell, for that matter if anyone had issue w/ me, feel free to let me know.

Greg,

Thanks for the even-toned comments and I do appreciate yours (and everyone's) opinion. Let me just add to your comments regarding the Nationals.

I have to say that you didn't have to just be from Texas in order to come across some aggressive/unnecessary driving. Someone from your region was literally pushing me into a number of turns until I let him go by and subsequently watched him take another driver...as well as himself out. I also had one of the CA region drivers bump me on the rear AND the front as he came around.

So...I realize Texas has got a few videos to show for some of our behaviors, but let's not assume we're the only region with aggressive drivers.

-=- Todd

That is a good point, I had some minor issues with drivers just because it was the Nationals probably (nothing with you Glenn). The Sunday start was totally screwed up. I guess my point is that everytime you guys put out a video from Texas, it just looks pretty wild down there and it gives you guys a bad name. I am being as honest as I can be, I don't think we could come close to that in OH/IN. We had a few on track incidents but it was pretty rare because every incident had a penalty. And I am talking about 1 race penalties or DQ's.

I don't mean to harp on Texas, I really don't. The misconception is that you guys have a lot of contact, but I bet there were consequence to the contact that we aren't seeing. Maybe you guys could share that end of the story, such as, how many penalties were handed down in 06 or how do you typically handle contact. Just an idea.

I guess we just take contact very seriously in OH/IN and maybe we aren't in line with one another.

Regardless, that video is pretty incredible and entertaining. There is no denying that.

Greg Walker

I guess we just take contact very seriously in OH/IN and maybe we aren't in line with one another.

Regardless, that video is pretty incredible and entertaining. There is no denying that.

Greg Walker

Fair enough.

I think we're on the same page and in line with one another.

a) We take contact very seriously in Texas.

b) The video is pretty incredible and entertaining.

c) There is no denying that.

-=- T

Like Greg, I don't usually say much in these type of threads - but I need to say something here, albeit a little belated.

I had previous racing experience downunder, but the first racing I have done in the US was in CMC with Texas last year - and after reading the naive posts in here, all I can say is thank god I'm racing AI/CMC in Texas! Racers down here all have 2 testicles - and big hairly ones at that - but it seems that some racers from other regions should consider switching to golf? - you only need one ball for that!

Seriously though - the first time that AI/CMC ever came to my attention was when I came across some videos from the CA regions from a link on MMs website. I had saved those videos and I just watched them again - and all I can say is that some folks around here must have some pretty short memories because the frequency of contact and off track excursions in any one of those single 20 minute races puts our Texas season highlight videos to shame! And I distinctly remember Chuck from MM referring to AI/CMC as "Dukes of Hazzard" racing!

And who was it said they don't see that sort of driving going on on Speed Channel? What are you watching? Pinks? Unique Whips? You obviously haven't watched any racing on Speed Channel that's for sure because in any pro racing or SCCA racing I've watched (which is lot) I see plenty of body contact, 'boneheaded moves', and 'rookie mistakes' .... from pro racers!

I came into the Texas CMC season after the first round last year - that first round was notable for an undue amount of contact - and the second round was no better - I admit I was more than a little concerned about what I had gotten into, especially when I was driving someone elses car - but my fears were unfounded, the series and race directors took action - AND THE RACERS RESPONDED.

You have to understand that Texas grew very rapidly, and we had a very large field of of mostly rookies. Throughout the year, I have raced everywhere from the back to the front of the field and everywhere in between, and I have seen this bunch mature into a very capable and competent group of drivers - and yet also very competitive - and very fast! The quality of racing here in Texas throughout the 2006 season was incredible, especially in CMC where we always had 15 or more cars within racing just inches away from each other!

As any of the group here will tell you, no one is more safety conscious than I am, and I am happy to race to race door handle to door handle with any one of these guys - I have done so for a season with out ANY body contact.

So think about this - after starting the season with too much contact going on, which really had come about because of the rapid growth of the region, the officials acted, and the racers responded - and the last half of the season saw very little body contact, but some incredibly competitive and exciting racing! Methinks it is not Texas racers you need to be worrying about, but perhaps those from less mature regions who have yet to go through the learning experience that we already have!

Finally, I challenge all other regions to put your video where you mouth is - send us all your available footage and we will put together a video for you ... seriously!

Daron

------

AI Texas #75

CMC Texas #33

i go believe a TX driver was rearended on the sunday start. i dont think he was in reverse.

That is available on video... I've seen it but I don't remember where.

i go believe a TX driver was rearended on the sunday start. i dont think he was in reverse.

That is available on video... I've seen it but I don't remember where.

Yep - it's available right here.

AAMOF, Nick Runyon was hit at least twice during the Nats - once by James Griffith Sr. when he attempted a Hail Mary/Praise the Lord/WTF were you thinking "pass" that went wrong ( Nick was hit in the side, and pushed off the track...JG Sr. was DQ'd for that move ), then hit from behind by Devin Cates at the start of the Sunday championship race. Several of the TX drivers were hit by others - myself included ( hit from behind going into the carousel by a CA driver ).

Since I became involved with AI/CMC racing, I've combed the 'net for video from various regions - every single item you guys are commenting on regarding the Texas region has happened in each NASA region in the US. While I can appreciate the comments coming from a TX-region outsider looking in.....throwing stones from within a glass house is a particularly bad idea.

OK guys....let's tone it down now, no need to start flippin' names, instances and now video to prove a point. I think everyone gets the gist and the last thing we want now is to unleash the wrath of Ginsberg on all things non-Texas!!!

Again...I appreciate everyone's comments and opinions on our World Premiere Video. Those with strong feelings one way or another aren't going to be swayed...so let's just let it lie at that.

The season was real fun...it was real exciting and it was real!

Remember...we're all AI/CMC!!!

-=- Todd

Greg Walker

#78 AI

OH/IN Region

Greg, not offended but I WILL hit you at nationals!!! And yes, the S-talk has officially started!

Is that really necessary?

It was too easy to pass up......

Whoa....I messed up gang....forgot to have the word "up" in there as in hit him up for a beer! Wow, got to stop typing as fast as I drive!!!

sorry for the ruffled feathers and I will be sure to bring enough beer to make up for it....I figure if I get you drunk so you have beer shits, you won't be able to drive fast right?!!!

"And who was it said they don't see that sort of driving going on on Speed Channel? What are you watching? Pinks?"

LMAO!!!

Yessir ... that' funny right there ... I don't care who ya are.

Matt White @ home.

Hey Glenn, if you want to bring the cat pictures out...here is one for you!

free-cat.jpg

by the way, you got any cars over at LAW for rent for March? My motor is likely not going to be ready by then....need something to get some points in and cruise around for some fun.

scared_cat.jpg

Matt...don't do it.

Those boys over at LAW Motorsports only deal in those evil GM products. If there's a rough group here in Texas, it's those danged Chevy guys!!!

Don't show up to Round 2 wearing a bowtie!!!

-=- T

Edited by Guest

if a crappy driver like myself can out run ya w/ a failing motor in a POS GM mullett mobile, Matt would clean up.

if Corey Rueth can go from Corporate Jets and Mustangs to a Piper Cub giving thrill rides to his "sister" and racing a GM in CMC for '07, surely Matt can lower himself to winning the '07 Championship in CMC w/ a GM instead of just plain ol Rookie of the Year in AI, right?

Ummm, Glenn...

You didn't include a cat photo in your response and we're way off topic at this point.

Can we get back to discussing the video, those crazy cowboy drivers and the Texas region of renegades in general???

-=- Todd

by the way, you got any cars over at LAW for rent for March? My motor is likely not going to be ready by then....need something to get some points in and cruise around for some fun.

I've seen you "cruise". So, no rentals available ...

OMG, the cats have made it to NASA forums.

Yeah ... what's up with that, guys.