Big Races for the Regions

TexaST-1

I would like to do some traveling this year and race with some other divisions that have good ST fields.

In Texas we lost several of our GPC Imports to GTS, so our ST field is currently 3-5 cars. It should grow as the season goes on.

I want to see if we can generate some interest for "The Race" at some of the best tracks around. I have car, truck and trailer. Lets Race!

I'm with you Kevin

Come on up to Road Atlanta March 17 & 18. They just repaved the track and we will be the first ones on it. I think Reese Cox will be racing his 99Speed WC car..not sure if its SU or ST1. Bagwell sometimes brings his 06 WC car, and we'll have at least 2 more ST1 cars.

I'm going to try to make it to Mid Ohio in April.

Hello Bob,

Road Atlanta is on my list of "Most Do" tracks. Our race is the first weekend of March so the RA weekend looks open. I'll start looking into it.

Anyone else?

Kevin.....

Maybe June30-1 weekend at MAM? Midwest and Rocky Mountain are doing a crossover. There's quite a few T1 cars in the midwest that we hope to pull over the fence for that one.

I am thinking not being in Texas in late June us not such a bad thing.

Colorado eh' tell me more...

Where is said track I found it in Iowa. Not that far from Dallas. 649 Miles.

What about Pueblo in July? Colorado maybe an easier sell for the family.

Hey kids guess where were going? Iowa, awww... Isn't kinda arm-pit hottish up there that time of year?

Hey Kids guess where were going? Colorado, Yea!!

I'll echo Road Atlanta. It is shaping up that we may have 10 Cobras for the March Road Atlanta event.

If you want something really fun, maybe look at the Summit Point Hyperfest for June 23-24. You end up with 10-15,000 spectators, Daisy Dukes competition, Jim Pantas nude in the Vat-O-Honey, and even a competition to see how many times you can roll a car. I've heard that a local strip club sometimes provides girls to come out and hold the umbrellas over the drivers on grid. Not that I'd know anything about that....

For the family you have Washington, DC just a little ways away which should be an easy sell for the kids. The Spy Museum, Smithsonian, White House, etc are terrific tourist destinations. Truly one of the great tourist cities of the world because there is so much there that is free. About an hour from the track. Just 20-30 minutes from the track is white water rafting along the Shenandoah river. 10-15 minutes from the track is Charlestown which is a popular gambling spot.

Kevin..

It was originally suposed to be a three day event, with Friday being a practice day. They cancelled friday due to the paving...I'm not sure why, but I'm 99% sure there is nothing going on that Friday. They cancelled the SCCA regional event at the End of February due to the paving. I guess they want the paving to cure. So we should be the first people on the track in March.

BTW..... two questions 1)what tires are you going to run in ST1? I can't get the whole hp/weight thing to work out with slicks, so I'm looking at DOT's now.

I'm thinking the Hoosier R6's..315' front/335 back. Any experience with them? Lance K. told me he ran the A6's at the runoff's, but I think they will never make a 2 qaulifing/2 race weekend.

2)For the weight of the car I can easily add 120lbs with a full tank and a full cooler for the cool suit. So lets say I do that prior to a race. 40 minutes later I burn of 11 gallons of gas and the car is 66lbs lighter. WHat weight is used to determine your class??? As you know in the SCCA they weigh you after everyrace and you have to be at the minimum weight then! Is that how it will be at the races and the Nationals???

2)For the weight of the car I can easily add 120lbs with a full tank and a full cooler for the cool suit. So lets say I do that prior to a race. 40 minutes later I burn of 11 gallons of gas and the car is 66lbs lighter. WHat weight is used to determine your class??? As you know in the SCCA they weigh you after everyrace and you have to be at the minimum weight then! Is that how it will be at the races and the Nationals???

Your weight is going to be the minimum race weight. If you're 60 lbs light at the end of the race, you'll get disqualified. I would suggest you set your minimum weight at empty to cover different race lengths. If you run an endurance you're going to burn a lot more fuel than a sprint race. If you're under, just add balast to the floor board.

So you are saying I am going to have to learn R Atl "Live"

Yes, you should work out your Power to Wt for an "At the End of the Race" set up. I'll be running slicks. I am going to keep my small 440 HP motor and try to get there by weight and slicks for ST-1.

I think you should be able to get through the weekend on one set of RA-6s, but I would have a back up set ready, in case the new ass-fault is shredding tires.

11 gallons would be closer to 75lbs.

gas weighs right around 6.25lbs/gallon, so 68.75lbs for 11 gallons to be exact

and yeah, your minimum weight is just that, the minimum, I'd make sure to leave a buffer in case you use more gas than normal, forget to drive around to pick up a few pounds of marbles on the tires, etc, etc

I am thinking not being in Texas in late June us not such a bad thing.

Colorado eh' tell me more...

Where is said track I found it in Iowa. Not that far from Dallas. 649 Miles.

What about Pueblo in July? Colorado maybe an easier sell for the family.

Hey kids guess where were going? Iowa, awww... Isn't kinda arm-pit hottish up there that time of year?

Hey Kids guess where were going? Colorado, Yea!!

Iowa might be a bit muggy, but I'm thinking there will be good competition and a larger event since it will be a RM/MW crossover.

Pueblo in July can be nice or it can suck - you know how weather is. "In general" the average temperature for the week we'll be at Pubelo (July 21-22) is 91 degress (no humidity to speak of). I'm talking with Arizona folks who want to escape their 115 and come race - maybe you can have another shot at Thomas Glenn and his Viper?

We also plan to do another evening enduro (1-1/2 to 3 hours depending on how many cars enter). Racing at night sure takes the heat out of things.

Stuff for Kids?

Close (Co Springs & Pueblo):

Rafting on the Arkansas

Pikes Peak

Cheyenne Mtn Zoo

Cave of the Winds

Seven Falls

Hiking/Camping/Fishing/Mtn Biking

Further away (Denver/etc):

Science & Animal Museums

Denver Zoo

Butterfly Pavilion

More Hiking/Camping/Fishing/Mtn Biking

I was reminded by a good friend of mine that I have committed to run in California this summer. Maybe we should organize a Left Coast event to balance out the Right Coast at Road Atlanta.

Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
I would like to do some traveling this year and race with some other divisions that have good ST fields.

In Texas we lost several of our GPC Imports to GTS, so our ST field is currently 3-5 cars. It should grow as the season goes on.

I want to see if we can generate some interest for "The Race" at some of the best tracks around. I have car, truck and trailer. Lets Race!

Come on up to Road America, Aug 4 & 5. Better yet, we (Regional ST series directors) should really discuss on how we can build ST to be the "main race" at one event per region. You brought up a good point about "losing" GPC Imports to GTS and having 3-5 ST cars in your region. Unlike the Spec Miata, AIX, CMC and Honda Challenge series where participants are more focused to stay within their regions and participation is high. ST/SU participants may be more than willing to compete at one event in two or more regions because of road courses like Road America, Mid Ohio, Sebring, Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen, VIR, etc. that are more suited for high horsepower competition. This in my opinion can facilitate a growth for the series that may bring ST/SU to a National prominence like the 25 hour at Thunderhill.

Come on up to Road America, Aug 4 & 5. Better yet, we (Regional ST series directors) should really discuss on how we can build ST to be the "main race" at one event per region. You brought up a good point about "losing" GPC Imports to GTS and having 3-5 ST cars in your region. Unlike the Spec Miata, AIX, CMC and Honda Challenge series where participants are more focused to stay within their regions and participation is high. ST/SU participants may be more than willing to compete at one event in two or more regions because of road courses like Road America, Mid Ohio, Sebring, Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen, VIR, etc. that are more suited for high horsepower competition. This in my opinion can facilitate a growth for the series that may bring ST/SU to a National prominence like the 25 hour at Thunderhill.

I am with you. The cost of entry into ST can be fare mor expensive than CMC or AI, so our growth will be slower, however there are several ex T1 cars already prepared that can transfer over easily.

I think having a strong showing at some bigger events may help draw potential competitors out sooner.

I am with you. The cost of entry into ST can be fare mor expensive than CMC or AI, so our growth will be slower, however there are several ex T1 cars already prepared that can transfer over easily.

I think having a strong showing at some bigger events may help draw potential competitors out sooner.

Aside from expense, road courses that favor high horsepower cars is a major part of the equation. Are you attending the NASA SE Road Atlanta event in March?

Kevin, come to a RoadAmerica event in the midwest region

As long as I dont get a noble dumping coolant in front of me to send me flyin off the trak, I may be able to hang with ya for a lap or 2. Ok, ok.... maybe for only a turn or 2