Exhaust questions for HPDE 1 (are turn-downs okay?)

rppngears91

Hey guys, right now I have side pipes with no muffler and no cats and my exhaust is WAY too loud for an instructor driving in it and trying to carry out a conversation. Iam was going to weld the mufflers back on but I do not have a tail pipes to bring it out the rear of the car. I was thinking I could just put the muufflers on and then weld on turn-down pipes right after the mufflers. Are thier any rules against turn down pipes!?! THanks a a lot guys, cya

Sorry I can't answer your specific question, but you should also consider the fact that a lot of tracks are getting tougher on noise levels. If you are over, they will give you a chance to fix it, but if you go over again, you're done.

I wouldn't weld them on, clamp them on that way it isn't permanent if you don't like how they're positioned or what they sound like.

I'm running one 3" Dynomax bullet muffler after the Y-pipe with a turn down pointed out from the passenger side of the car. It's not especially loud driving it around the track, but the drone at part throttle on the cool down/pace laps is enough to rattle your head. If you want to reduce the noise in the car, I'd try to get it out the back or turn it out the side of the car completely. Turn downs will leave you with a lot of cabin noise.

well my interior is fully stripped down to the bare metal, all the sound deading material has been ripped up, everything. so the cabin noise is already going to be pretty bad, Im just trying to make it as comfortable as possible for my instructor. Do the tips of the exhaust HAVE to exit out from underneath the car, or is it okay to have turn down underneath? thanks for your input though guys

Most of the people who are running in HPDE 1 or 2 drive street legal cars.

Because most of us, not me, drive their cars to and from the track. You learn more about driving and handling with a car that is more or less stock. Stuff like R compound tires can hide a lot of bad driving habits.

My car is pretty far from stock but thats not always true. The stock fox body Mustang have drum brakes...some performance upgrades are absolutely necessary

A turndown is fine, but do please have mufflers. If you do go the route of turndown, just make sure the exhaust gases aren't getting into the cabin, as that'll spell trouble for everyone.

I've had dumps on my car for 3+ years. No problems. It used to have dumped Flowmasters on it. Sounded great at WOT, and down right annoying everywhere else in the RPM range.... The race cars are louder than my car

The stock fox body Mustang have drum brakes...some performance upgrades are absolutely necessary

I agree that some up grades are a big plus. Things like brakes and safety upgrades like harness are good. When I ran my '03 Must/Cobra I ran Borla exhaust, Brembo brakes, roll bar and harness. I did leave the power band stock.

Yea I was hoping to get a roll bar/cage (that would be nice) and some harness and maybe some Kirkey racing seats before the first event next weekend but that doesnt look possible

hah yes it is, but it helps when you work at a race car fabrication shop Im not planning on doing the cage and seats though, simply because Iam out of money

This is from the HPDE ccr rule book, hope it helps:

11.4.21 Mufflers: Sound Limit

There may be a specified noise limit for each event. For the purposes of this section the term â€