In car communications

Lucid Moments

Did my second HPDE with NASA southeast at CMP this past weekend and had a great time, and learned a good bit. One problem I had though was that my instructors intercom was broken, and he couldn't lay his hands on a replacement. Not knocking him stuff like that is bound to happen and he made the best of a poor driver (me), but compared to my first HPDE with the intercomm I really feel like in car communications were lacking.

How often is something like this a problem? Would it be worth my money to buy my own intercomm to help prevent a situation like this in the future?

Did my second HPDE with NASA southeast at CMP this past weekend and had a great time, and learned a good bit. One problem I had though was that my instructors intercom was broken, and he couldn't lay his hands on a replacement. Not knocking him stuff like that is bound to happen and he made the best of a poor driver (me), but compared to my first HPDE with the intercomm I really feel like in car communications were lacking.

How often is something like this a problem? Would it be worth my money to buy my own intercomm to help prevent a situation like this in the future?

If constant verbal communication is what it takes for you to learn, then YES it would be worth your $$$. For me, I only had 1 instructor have a chatterbox (it was a little annoying trying to listen to him and drive). With all the others we used hand signals and download talks between sessions. Once I just couldn't get what he was trying to tell me (through hand signals) so I came into the pits for a minute or two, we got on the same page and back out again. So while it wasn't necessary for me to be in constant verbal communication with the instructor I still learned.

There is no question that it would benefit me. I don't pick this stuff up easily and I know that. My whole point was how often does it happen that an HPDE instructor doesn't have his own.

If there's no question it would help you, go out and buy your own. They are not that expensive. For the $130 investment when you KNOW it will help you, why not? Think of all the silly things we buy related to this sport, this is one of the things that is worth the investment.

Here's an internal question: how many times would it take for an instructor not to have a functional unit for buying your own to be worth it to you?

Another question: sometime down the road, might you be interested in instructing?

I'm like you. I do not respond very well to hand signals and want the instant verbal feedback.

If there's no question it would help you, go out and buy your own. They are not that expensive. For the $130 investment when you KNOW it will help you, why not? Think of all the silly things we buy related to this sport, this is one of the things that is worth the investment.

Here's an internal question: how many times would it take for an instructor not to have a functional unit for buying your own to be worth it to you?

Another question: sometime down the road, might you be interested in instructing?

I'm like you. I do not respond very well to hand signals and want the instant verbal feedback.

Good point. I think I'll probably go ahead and do it.

I've seen the chatterbox intercom, is that the best bet, or are there better options out there?

Don't let that one experience burn you. Here in the Mid-Atlantic region they are pretty much mandatory.

As an instructor, many of us take it very seriously. I, for one, have a complete back up unit. I've done hand signals and it can work, but given a choice, I'd rather be able to verbally communicate.

My download sessions are held on the straights, each lap, to insure we're both still focused on what we're here to do.

Most of us use the chatterbox. They work well, are stocked in most ontrack stores and are quite durable. (except for the occassionaly pulling apart the students earpiece removing it from the helmet)