MARCH 17-18 at California Speedway! Race or HPDE!

Tim Comeau

ALSO, ANNUAL TECH INSPECTIONS.

I'm aware that the AZ 944 spec guys have been racing already and so they've had their annuals done. I'll try to get as many of our SoCal cars done as possible on Friday. I plan on getting there Friday afternoon, but if you can get your annual done sooner by another tech inspector, please do.

Please have your logbooks in order with pictures.

Please get 4 NASA decals on the car and a NASA patch on your suit.

If you need to get your cage number stamped to match your logbook let's get that on Friday as well.

Friday will more than likely be a class service day for me, but let's take it easy on the old man.....

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tim Comeau

• Packfill

• 944-Spec#94

• genikz

Yep all the Az guys have 2007 Annuals completed.

They all are 2007 rules compliant (stock chips & headers, etc). If you run into any issues with any Az cars call me on my cell phone. You have the number.

Have fun out there guys!

Oh come on now... HPDE pitting with racers? Dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

If space is available we usually try and get ALL 944's together. The AZ guys were so nice to make space for me last year after all were spoken for already... Having all that experience gathered together in 1 place can be invaluable if there is a problem.

-jay

Absolutely, Chris.

I'd be pi$$ed and hurt if you didn't. Hell, I'd probably go cry in a corner for a while.

No, we always try to get the 944 crew together. It promotes communication, learning, comraderie, and a real nice sense of togetherness. Come get to know the great guys in the 944 spec class. I'm sure they'd like to see the progress you've made on your 924S. Bring the parts that I shipped you with you if you can't get that job done before Sat.

Ok, I haven't heard much back yet, so I'm suggesting that we gather on the far side of the G1 garages. G1 is the third garage as you go into the paddock. There's a bathroom close by under the pit suites and it's a very short trip to the grid. I'll be up there as early as possible on Friday afternoon. My cell is 619.994.0919 . I'll bring a few cones and such to save spots. If you get there earlier please do the same.

Stand by for some fun!

'Bout ready to shove off.......

I should be leaving about 12:15. Anybody need anything I can grab for them before I leave?

Parts?

Decals?

Beer?

LET'S GO RACING!!

at your service,

TC

Damn Cal Speedway Curse...

Second year in a row that I didn't get to race... Well upon closer inspection it looks like my water pump seized (temporarily?) Though it turns now, we could see the spot on the pully where the belt burned down to the cords. Anyone ever heard of that?

So what's the race report?

-jay

Brief race report follows. Full reports should be posted to our http://www.944spec.org website. Note that it's .org and not .com.

10 racers showed up for Sat including a great group from the Arizona 944 spec squadron. Jay Barton's car was found by yours truly to have a deteriorating timing belt. (black dry powder coming out of the cam gear cover.) I believe 4 other 944's came out for the HPDE portion of the event. Chris Barrington 88 924S, Robert nad Raffi, and one other guy that had a 944 with a roll bar. Jon Ariano's dad also borrowed his car to enter the HPDE groups. Good sized crowd. Weather was HOT on Sat. Much cooler on Sunday. Mark Foley, with his wife, visited on Sun in their black 951 on the way up to Big Bear to see Ray Dicius.

Starts on Sat and Sun were bad. Good racing up front and mid-pack. I believe Sat was Weitze, Gormely, Hamden. Sunday was Weitze, Hamden, Ariano, Memo? See mylaps in a day or two. The big story was Sunday's melee before the start.....at least 4 944's damaged....

Please contribute your notes and memories to the http://www.944spec.org website.

John Hawley,

Do you have other pics of the start at different points in time?

In a nutshell, what happened was that there was speeding up and slowing down of the race group before the green flag. The 944 spec class was trying to catch up with the cars accellerating away in front of them, then somebody checked up hard. The accordian effect is amplified the further you go back in the pack. By the time it got to our group of 944's, we didn't have a chance of slowing down enough. Locked up brakes are evidence of that. You can see my red 944 on the bottom row going off line to try to avoid Glen's 924S.

Right under the "ss" in the word "crossing" in the pic above, you can see Weitze's car ( white) in the top row. He was outside pole. Further back under the "t" in the word "starting" is Hamden (gold w/ black stripe)in the bottom row. Hamden was on pole. That's how bad the bottom row checked up.

Behind Weitze, is Richmond, then Ariano. Behind Norm Hamden is Glen Gormely, then myself. Behind me further, Mickey Dowling's car was hit, Hal Dunn's car was hit hard by a BMW?

There's a big gap in the Honda field beneath the word "crossing." That might be a clue. Can't say for sure.

The NASA CCR's state that the field should be formed up before the last couple turns and that NO accelleration is allowed until the green flag drops. We can't blame the NASA rules for this one. The procedures weren't followed and it cost our class heavily. One possible solution for keeping this from ever happening again is to request to be started as a separate class at the back of the group.

Right now, let's pull together as a class, and see who needs what parts and let's get them shipped or sourced locally. Let's get them put back together guys. Let me know how I can help anybody. I have all the parts I need.

John Hawley,

Do you have other pics of the start at different points in time?

"T"hawley. Sadly, that is the only one with you fellas in the frame. The shooter was an HC fan and was more interested in that part of the grid. Sorry. Hope you all can mend the cars before Buttonwillow.

Best,

Thawley

PS: Did you guys like the grid-by-time on Saturday?

Chris,

It was great having you up there! Funny enough, Glen HAD a late model axle in his trailer!

OK, new rule for the 944 spec guys.........

First thing we do when we get there on Friday night is open a beer, stand in a big circle, and one by one, tell everyone there what spares we brought.

Yes, I brought up the start during the driver's meeting as I do EVERY TIME.....

......GET 2 by 2 AND STAY THERE AND DON'T ACCELLERATE TILL THE @#$%^&* *&^ ^%^$@@%^*& *%@! FLAG DROPS!

Tim it'll work out better if you bring a pitcher of beer every 10 minutes till someone passes out. Then bring them every 15!!

Dang I miss this stuff!!!

Regardless of the rules, what anyone says in a meeting or whatever the starting order is.... there is NO EXCUSE for having contact before the race even starts?

Tim, you want to stop this kind of driving?? Initate a 944SPEC 13/13 rule... and enforce it... If you have contact (before the green) YOU (whoever made contact) made a mistake... no question there...

This race had more contact in it, than other clubs have in an entire season... who can afford to rebuild their car every race???

Thank God no one was hurt...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9021121011767941677&hl=en

Here is a copy of my in car from the back.

Yea, I know, I am the evil Yellow Spec Miata. please forgive me.

We were basicly full throttle coming onto the straight to catch up, when all heck broke loose with you guys and then the HC cars spinning in turn 1. I thought I was at a Nascar race.

Sorry about your class' damage.

It was fun racing with you,

Sean Douglass

#60 Spec Miata

Bummer! I'm really sorry to hear about the contact.

On a positive note it was nice seeing you guys on Sun morning.

Sean, Thanks for the video.

Mark

Jim Marks wrote:

Initate a 944SPEC 13/13 rule... and enforce it... If you have contact (before the green) YOU (whoever made contact) made a mistake... no question there...

Great idea, that way if you qualify in front of someone you want DQ'd, all you have to do before the green flag is dropped, slam on your brakes for no reason, have that person hit you and they are out of the race.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but several of my close friends have banged up cars because some one or two drivers ahead of our cars could not control their addrenalin and keep a consistant distance and speed between them and the car ahead of them during the pace lap. Keeping a constant speed was mentioned and demanded in the racers meeting. (by the way, that rule was put into place to avoid this type of crash) But when that rule is not followed and there is a huge gap created in front of you before the green, you speed up to tighten up the field.

Hal, 944-spec rookie just spent tons of money and probably hundreds of hours doing his own work to get his car ready. Glenn, what can I say, one of the best prepared cars in spec and only racing it for the second time. Mickey, if you haven't seen his car, you should, it was show room condition and the same for Jim Fluckey's BMW.

I appreciate the freedom of press on this forum, but kicking co-racers when they are down isn't right. I am very fortunate that I just missed the car in front of me and Glenn missed hitting me from behind, but, I FEEL THEIR PAIN!!!

I agree with you Jim, that someone has to be responsible for a crash, but when rules are not followed, it isn't particularly the person's fault that has a damaged car.

I have to agree with Norman.

A 13/13 rule does nothing to prevent this kind of situation. All it does is penalize those caught up in the mess. The speed up/slow down on the start is big problem. With a small field often times you can manage. With a large field the problem just gets worse and worse as you go farther back becuse each car has less time to react. Now who's "fault" was it. Seems to me the guy not keeping a steady pace. Problem is that he was probably 20 cars forward and never knew what happened.

I am with Tim lets band together and help out our fellow 944 racers rather than try to blame any of them.