2011 Provisional Car Classifications--updated 10-30-11

Greg G.

• National Staff

Here are TTA-TTF cars approved since the most recent Rules release (v 8.1) on 12-20-10 :

Acura TL 6-spd MT SH-AWD ('10-11)---TTD** 3840 lbs (5-14-11)

BMW 1 M Coupe ('11)(3.0L Turbo)---TTB** 3370 lbs (6-30-11)

BMW Mini Cooper Works ('09-'10)---TTC* 2680 lbs (3-24-11)

BMW Z4 sDrive30i ('09-'11)---TTD* 3240 lbs (2-18-11)

BMW Z4 sDrive35i ('09-'11)(turbo)---TTC** 3450 lbs (2-18-11)

BMW Z4 sDrive30is ('11)---TTB 3520 lbs (2-18-11)

Cadillac CTS-V ('09-'11)---SUR (2-4-11)

Cadillac CTS-V Sports Wagon ('11)---SUR (2-4-11)

Chevrolet HHR SS ('08-'10)---TTD* 3280 lbs (5-14-11)

Dodge Challenger SRT8 ('08-'10)---TTC* 4140 lbs (5-14-11)

Fiat 500 ('12)(USA)---TTG* 2400 lbs (1-18-11)

Ford Mustang Boss 302 ('12)---TTA* 3630 lbs (5-3-11)

Ford Mustang V6 ('10)---TTE 3350 lbs (1-18-11)

Ford Mustang V6 ('11)---TTD** 3600 lbs (1-18-11)

Mazda RX-8 ('09-'11)---TTD* 3045 lbs (2-18-11)

Mercedes CL55 AMG (5.4L)('01-'02)---TTC 4100 lbs (10-30-11)

Porsche Boxster ('09-'10)---TTC 2880 lbs (2-18-11)

Porsche Boxster S ('09-'10)---TTB 2985 lbs (2-18-11)

Porsche Boxster Spyder ('11)---TTB** 2880 lbs (2-18-11)

Scion tC ('11)---TTF** 3030 lbs (1-18-11)

Toyota Celica ST ('90-'93)---TTG 2600 lbs (9-27-11)

VW GTI 2.0L Turbo ('10-'11)---TTE 3070 lbs (6-21-11)

Here are TTS/TTU cars approved since the most recent (TT) Rules release (v 8.1) on :

• 3 years later...

Greg,

How do you guys rate or classify a car? This isn't a loaded question. Just curious. It really seems like an overwhelming task. Every car has it's strengths and weaknesses. Is this a fairly easy question to answer or is it more of a discussion topic.

If this is a discussion oriented topic, maybe we could cover it at a meeting during nationals. Definitely plan on going this year. Would have attended this past year's, but popped a motor a couple of weeks before the event.

I honestly don't really care how a car is judged on the national level. I'll run my TTU car for nationals and flog on the TTA car locally.

• National Staff

Some would say that we class all of the cars, and then we add at least two asterisks more for S2000's and 370z's......

But, the fact is that we have spent probably more than a thousand hours over the past 7 years researching and classing cars. Once the database was fairly well built, we were able to start comparing the newer cars being classed to the ones already classed to help ensure fair classing. As well, we will make competition adjustments on an annual basis if necessary.

The whole system revolves around:

The following factors will be taken into account in classing the car: wt./ (max) hp ratio, total weight,

high torque in the usable rpm range, body style, engine location, drivetrain type, advanced

technology/engineering in OEM suspension, brakes, drivetrain, and aerodynamics.

If that looks familiar, it should be because it is directly from the Rules C.1 (Engine Mods)

BTW, the ZR1 is not the ZR-1 as stated in another thread. I thought it was obvious that it was an SUR car since the C6 Z06 was.

• 2 months later...
Some would say that we class all of the cars, and then we add at least two asterisks more for S2000's and 370z's......

But, the fact is that we have spent probably more than a thousand hours over the past 7 years researching and classing cars. Once the database was fairly well built, we were able to start comparing the newer cars being classed to the ones already classed to help ensure fair classing. As well, we will make competition adjustments on an annual basis if necessary.

The whole system revolves around:

The following factors will be taken into account in classing the car: wt./ (max) hp ratio, total weight,

high torque in the usable rpm range, body style, engine location, drivetrain type, advanced

technology/engineering in OEM suspension, brakes, drivetrain, and aerodynamics.

If that looks familiar, it should be because it is directly from the Rules C.1 (Engine Mods)

BTW, the ZR1 is not the ZR-1 as stated in another thread. I thought it was obvious that it was an SUR car since the C6 Z06 was.

I respect NASA's Classification abilities they are definitely the best in the industry so this has to be a misprint, a 06 Evo RS in TTB 280hp 3219lbs PTW 11.4:1 and the 08 Evo X GSR TTB* 3500lb 291hp PTW 12.03 ?

Also the Evo IX has a higher power output on the stock turbo.

Stock for stock the X handles a lot better even though it's slower in a straight line than the VIII and IX, right?

Around the track the Evo VIII / IX beats the Evo X by a couple seconds, so why does the Evo X get a 7 point penalty in its base class?

Stock for stock the X handles a lot better even though it's slower in a straight line than the VIII and IX, right?

Around the track the Evo VIII / IX beats the Evo X by a couple seconds, so why does the Evo X get a 7 point penalty in its base class?

I have no first hand experience I just thought that I had read that before online somewhere. The closest experience I have is my '97 AWD Talon and that's currently being parted out...

Dont the Xs have that super special rear diff control or something?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello eveyone. I was speaking with Mervin and Tage here in the AZ region about a TT classing for my car and they both said I'd have to ask for a classing since it isn't on the list.

That the person who might do this is also here in AZ as well...?

Who is it and how do I go about sending the specifics of my car to them?

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

A spam bot replying to a spam bot. The circle has been completed. By the way was the Cayman R ever classified? I would assume it would be TTB** like the Boxster Spyder.