Help the FWD Scion Driver

UHSAE

Not to discredit any of you that are saying that running Two different tires front and back is okay, but on a track car I would not do this for your NORMAL setup unless you are running same brand/make tire with combination of Med R comp with Soft or hard R comps.

I have asked the question myself of other FWD racers, HPDE and Auto X people. Here is what I came up with.

1.) Don't do it b/c one tire will give before the other.

2.) One tire will make this sound and the other will make that, making it harder for you to listen and learn from the tires and the handeling of the car.

3.) DO NOT use tires that are on 2 different palying feilds. EX: Falken RT615 and Fuzion XXXX. More common sense on this one.. .

4.) It is okay for Autox b/c you are more or less just having fun and in a more controlled, safer environment where making contact with other cars is very minimal risk at best.

5.) Do not mix directional with non direction on a FWD or AWD car. I can't explain but it is a rule.. .

On the Other side of things, I have HAD to actually run 2 different tires front and rear The only reason I did was b/c I bent a rim on the way to the track and it wasn't noticed untill I was done with my 2nd HPDE session of the day.

I ran a 205/45/16 Hankook Z212 200 treadware front and a BFG g-froce sport 205/50/15 340 treadware rear.

This was at my first HPDE and the rear came around a lot easier with the crap tires in the rear and I actually spun once b/c I trail braked too much. Overal I ended up being quicker but I owe that all to gaining experience and knowledge throughout the day. Using the different tires front an rear made the car less stable and I deffinetely could feel the difference.

Flipping Same Tire on Same Rim - Run tire different direction

You can't flip directional or asymetric street tires however you can flip non directional streets and most R compound tires after the tread pattern is worn off. With flipping street tires you'll want to drive them Off track for a bit before you take them to the track. They are actually slippier for a lil while after you flip them. Another thing I can't realy explain but it is true I have experience it.. .

Edited by Guest

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UHSAE

• berny2435

• VKZ24

• ExRacer

Top Posters In This Topic

DO NOT use tires that are on 2 different palying feilds. EX: Falken RT615 and Fuzion XXXX. More common sense on this one.. .

Just to be clear, I was saying I'd ditch the Fuzions and get (4) Azenis.

Flipping

You can't flip directional or asymetric street tires

Why not? If you flip a directional tire just move it to the opposite side of the car. It will still be rotating in the same direction.

As for asymetric tires, I've done it many times with several sets of Azenis RT-215s. No issues at all in my experience, but as always YMMV.

Oh, flipping to corners is fine.

Flipping to run a different direction on the same rim is not.. .

Since UHSAE was talking about taking them somewhere to get them flipped, I assumed he was talking about flipping the actual tire on the rim as in Demounting and mounting back up.

Since UHSAE was talking about taking them somewhere to get them flipped, I assumed he was talking about flipping the actual tire on the rim as in Demounting and mounting back up.

What I'm saying is to demount the tire, flip, remount, then move the wheel to the opposite side of the car.

Bottom line is a uni-directional tire should only run in one direction.

Ok, it seems to me that taking the tires I have now off, flipping them around on the rim, and then remounting them on the other side of the car shouldn't be a problem. Directionally and rotationally it should be fine. The 'pretty writing' will be facing the wrong way, but other than that? (The Fuzions are directional).

I won't buy anymore Fuzions don't worry, but I suppose I need to wear them all out before I get any new tires right? Because Azenis vs. Fuzion is a big difference yeah?

Phillip

I won't buy anymore Fuzions don't worry, but I suppose I need to wear them all out before I get any new tires right? Because Azenis vs. Fuzion is a big difference yeah?

Azenis do have pretty darn decent grip for a street tire that doesn't cost an arm and leg. So yes, I'd say they will be a big change from the Fuzions, though I've never actually ran Fuzions.

When I ran it, there was a night and day b/t Hankook RS2 Z212 200UTQG and a BFG G-force sport 340UTQG

The BFG is classed as a Ultra High Performance Summer Tire = YEAH RIGHT!!!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=BFGoodrich&model=g-Force+Sport&tirePageLocQty=

Hankook RS2 http://www.hankooktireusa.com/product/tire_detail.asp?pid=13

The Kook is basically Falken RT-615's competition.. .