Does your insurance cover accidents on a "racing surfac

Ludachris

thanks Hoss. i've got that site bookmarked and I'll do some more exploring. June, eh? I knew there was an HPDE this weekend and another at the end of the summer, but I didn't know about the June one. thanks! BTW: any preference of VIR or Summit Point?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jon dawes

• getfast

• jhall1957

• 10Hondas

thanks Hoss. i've got that site bookmarked and I'll do some more exploring. June, eh? I knew there was an HPDE this weekend and another at the end of the summer, but I didn't know about the June one. thanks! BTW: any preference of VIR or Summit Point?
well...Both is the answer here...VIR is great. we will be back there in July. we will be at summit a few more times this year.

First things first, WELCOME and nice lookin' Mustang!

No real interest in Autocross. . . frankly it looks boring. . .like finding a parking spot on the weekend at Walmart [ouch I'm gonna get ostracized already!]

Hahahaha lots of people say that, until they try it. It's cheap and fun, and it's great for keeping those skills sharp (kinda like indoor karting.) It will also teach you some fundamental car control principles in a low-risk environment that you can take to HPDE's and expand upon. That is, it seems like many of the drivers who "climb the HPDE ladder" more quickly are the ones with autocross experience.

Also keep in mind, NASA-MA autocrosses usually offer twice as many runs as most other groups - on bigger/faster courses too. You'll be sliding your car around cones in 2nd gear, which is fun - I promise! It's certainly your right to think it looks boring, but I'd recommend signing up for one before you decide for sure:

http://www.nasaracing.net/autox.htm

And moving on up, there are two great Mid-A HPDE weekends to not miss:

June 23-24 Summit Point

July 28-29 VIR North

http://www.nasaracing.net/sched_regis.htm

See ya there,

Jon

PS- nothing to say about the insurance other than that I have State Farm full coverage on the M3 with no exclusion language as of its 11/15/06 renewal, and the understanding that I would be covered (even if it's only once) via a handshake deal with my agent (who is a NASA member and knows exactly what I do with the car.)

Jon,

Thanks for the good info. To be honest, I've had a rough time because there's TOO MUCH info and it's all over the place! Trying to find out locations/times/dates/requirements for AutoX and HDPE is overwhelming at times. I'll just take a breath, do what I can, sign up, show up and DRIVE!

From looking at your site, I may get to an HPDE b4 an AutoX, but either way I'll be there. I'm sort of confused because I knew about the Summit HPDE this weekend and in September, but not any other times. I know VIR has two more this year as well. Do I need membership in ALL of the clubs that do these, or just the "national" ones like SCCA and NASA? I'm already a member of the Mustang club of Maryland, but they prefer dragging and shows. Not so much interested in that as seeing what the car can do when pushed harder than it is in stop and go DC traffic, if you catch my drift!!!!

Hahahaha no prob, and I totally understand. But don't believe everything you see on the internets.

All the correct NASA-MA info is available from http://www.nasaracing.net and all the event registration comes from here:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/nasa_event/list_events

(under "Mid Atlantic Region" for HPDE's and "Mid Atlantic Autocross Region" for cone events and kart enduros.) Each one of those "Register" buttons will take you to an event info page that has most if not all of the related details. And you can always ask an official; that's what we are here for:

http://www.nasaracing.net/contact.htm

You will need to be a NASA member to do our HPDE's due to insurance and sanctioning regulations. You can do autocrosses as a nonmember but they cost an extra 10 bucks each (so if you do 4 of 'em you have paid for your membership. Actually two of 'em, because half your $40 membership fee gets you a subscription to the greatest magazine in the world: http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com ... among other membership perks.) No idea what the requirements are with other groups, but they're usually similar.

If you're in MD you couldn't be but so far from Summit Point (aka our second favorite place on earth, after VIR.)

Hope it helps,

Jon

ps- bring all your Mustang buddies too! The more the merrier!

Awesome! That's very good info. thanks for taking the time even though i'm not the owner of a high speed german automaschine. and yes, summit is only about 2 hours or less from me, so me/dad/brother are going to sign up and share the car if we can work it out [upgrading brakes/lines/fluid so they don't melt!]. VIR is our second choice, so we'll just have to see how it works out. thanks again!

jon

ps: yeah, grassroots is a fantastic publication

thanks for taking the time even though i'm not the owner of a high speed german automaschine

Hahahaha I'm pretty sure your 'Stang could whoop my german POS in most if not all contests of speed. Plus, who cares who drives what? The cars themselves are just variations on a common theme. Going to a track weekend is like going to a bar with friends and having 'em bring buddies you haven't met before... their buddies might drink Budweiser and we might drink Warsteiner... but we all get along, because we're there to have fun!

Jon

thanks for taking the time even though i'm not the owner of a high speed german automaschine

Hahahaha I'm pretty sure your 'Stang could whoop my german POS in most if not all contests of speed. Plus, who cares who drives what? The cars themselves are just variations on a common theme. Going to a track weekend is like going to a bar with friends and having 'em bring buddies you haven't met before... their buddies might drink Budweiser and we might drink Warsteiner... but we all get along, because we're there to have fun!

Jon

you're just mad 'cause the Sake-moblie keeps whippin' ya

LOL, my car's slowness has nothing to do with the car, and everything to do with the loose nut behind the wheel.

Jon

LOL, my car's slowness has nothing to do with the car, and everything to do with the loose nut behind the wheel.

Jon

lemme know if you want me to hop in and give you some lessons

LOL I'm gonna remember you said that next time I blow by you in a TT group somewhere/sometime soon, Ken.

C'mon up to VIR in July or Summit in August and we'll see who's got what.

Hahahahaha,

Jon

Summit is too far a haul, and I'm too busy being a hired gun for One Lap of America to do NASA-MA at CMP

so you'll just have to settle for getting smoked at VIR North

Yea I'm not driving my car at CMP, but I'll be there working.

We'll see what you've got at VIR in July... when I have time to do more than 3 TT laps all weekend, and my minor car issues are solved, and I'm more adjusted to the new setup.

Jon

PS- good luck @ One Lap!

• 2 weeks later...

pgipson,

I finally got word back from my nasa regional director that my interpretation is correct. By signing the waiver, they will defend me if another participant sues me.

cheers,

bruce

NASA has everyone sign a waiver when they enter the facility that basically says you agree not to sue anybody else. If somebody does sue you as a result of something that happened at that event, they will defend you. There is no coverage for you running into somebody/thing or vice versa.

bruce

[

That is a new interpertation of the NASA insurance policy that I haven't seen before. I assume when you say "they" you mean the insurance underwriter that NASA uses.

So you believe that the underwriter will retain an attorney, at no expense to you, to represent you (as a NASA participant) against a claim, filed by another NASA participant against you, that arises from an incident at a NASA event. Say an on-track accident that leads to a serious injury.

I would be very interested to hear how NASA officials view the limits of their insurance. Does Jerry or Ryan believe their policy extends any 3rd party protection from civil claim? Wrongful death or negligence for instance?

• 2 weeks later...

I would caution anyone who thinks the "driving school" defense will work now. If you have no instructor in your car or claiming to be directing you at the time of the collision, you may be SOL.

Also, if you have a transponder, game over. The only reason for a transponder is to see if your times change. Times are directly related to speed and the standard insurance policy in CA contains an exclusion for "pre-arranges contests/events of speed. It does not state low speed or high speed.

my .02

i hear you. the more i consider it, the more i think the supplemental insurance is worth my peace of mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked my policy...new "Definitions" for this year...

"Driving contest or challenge includes, but not limited to: a prearranged or orginized competition against other people, vehicles, or time; or a prearranged or organized activity that challenges the speed or handling characteristics of a vehicle, or improves or demonstrates driving skills, provided the activity occurs on a track or course that is closed from nonparticipants."

That is USAA Insurance...but I suspect they are all pretty close

That's about the same legalese I've seen posted for every major insurance carrier.

I took some great advice and picked up a second car that I can walk away from if something happens since driver education is no longer covered.

I have State Farm. My agent says I'm covered as long as I'm not timed. Which is realy funny cause I used to drag race alot. You can get on a road track with 30-40 other cars and be covered or I could be on a 1/4 mile track with 1 or sometimes by myself and not be. Just because I was being timed. Figure that one out?

• 2 weeks later...

Just called USAA and I am not covered for HPDE 1. I decided for peace of mind to get a supplemental ins policy to at least pay the car off if I wreck it. I got a quote of 600.00 for a 2006 Civic Si from Snellings Walters. Any other Ins companies I should get a quote from?

let me know if you can find one! i tried ellington and assoc, but they have stopped writing the coverage. the others i have heard of that provide coverage are embroiled in lawsuits or have also stopped writing the coverage. american collectors no longer writes policies and laurel DE is not licensed and is involved in a lawsuit. all hearsay, but i'm not taking any chances. http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Does_my_car_insurance_cover_me_at_the_track%3F

and consider yourself lucky. i read on another forum, bmw???, that USAA cancelled a driver's insurance for ASKING if they covered HPDE. there is no restriction on a company cancelling your policy in this fashion.

I worded it that it was a track school only. The person I talked to was'nt completely sure about the coverage, I'm not going to take a chance so I will probably go with Snellings unless another company comes around.

Be sure and let us know what kind of coverage you can get and how long $600 lasts. Each event, one quarter, one year etc.

it is indeed a 12 month policy. just go to snellingswalters.com and check it out. i don't have coverage yet, but intend to. you simply tell them what your car is worth including all mods and that is what is covered! but keep in mind it is ONLY for non-timed track days, no autocross, no racing. here is the email conversation i had with chris maume:

"Correct. The policy is strictly for non-timed events HPDE type and the policy is structured for unlimited track days during the policy period.

Chris

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, April 16, 2007 9:55 AM

To: Chris Maume

Subject: RE: DE Coverage questions

Great! I was hoping you'd say that! So basically the coverage is for non-timed, HPDE events. Thanks Chris,

Jon

Chris Maume wrote:

It is annual. We do not offer per event coverage.

Chris

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, April 16, 2007 9:45 AM

To: Chris Maume

Subject: Re: DE Coverage questions

Thanks for getting back to me. The primary question I have is whether the calculator estimates the cost for a policy PER ANNUM or PER EVENT.

Thanks,

Jon

Chris Maume wrote:

Comments: i spoke with Lori over the phone re: a motorsport policy for HPDE. a few questions: does this cover autocross? does it cover timed events? how many people can i put on the policy as i'd like for my father, brother, and girlfriend to be able to participate should they want to? thank you.

Jon,

I received your comments and questions this morning. Unfortunately, this policy does not cover autocross and it does not cover timed events. You can put as many drivers as you would like on your policy. Each listed driver is an additional $10 for an MVR fee.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Regards,

Chris"