Does your insurance cover accidents on a "racing surfac

Ludachris

Great! So it will probably cover at least HPDE 1 and 2 which right now is all I intend to do with my daily driver. 3 and 4 I am going to buy a dedicated track car (or so is the plan). Next on the list to prepare for VIR!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jon dawes

• getfast

• jhall1957

• 10Hondas

I'll be there, too!!!! but not driving. i'm going to work that weekend to try and learn/earn points/meet folks. but i'm still stoked to go!

so what are you tracking until you get your dedicated track car? mine's an 07 mustang gt with a bunch of suspension mods [it was making noises with the stock setup, so i had it all removed and replaced. much better now, except i'm in a class way beyond my competitive ability in autocross]. i'm assuming yours is a honda from your username.

Its a 2006 Civic Si. I will probably do some suspension mods to it after I get my feet wet at VIR. For now just better tires and brakes.

• 1 month later...

I think that if you have any doubts whatsoever that you cannot afford to repair your car in the event of an accident, you need to check with your insurance company ahead of time.

Most insurance companies are writing new policies that make it clear with the phraseology that they will only cover normal driving on regular roads at posted speed limits, which leaves them free to deny many kinds of claims.

On the other hand, a few years ago, State Farm paid about $6500 worth of damages to a friend's ITR when he went careening down the hill and into the tyre wall on the way to Oak Tree.

At the same time, however, they made it clear that he had enough driver education, and that we could not expect a second payment of that type to ever be made again.

i'm not taking any chances with phraseology. i'm an attorney and have no desire to fight an insurance company. i'd rather just pay for the supplemental and not worry about it

I got my coverage with Snellings. The coverage is for as many DE's I do in a year. Peace of mind! I'm all set for VIR!

did you actually get the coverage from snellings or from prosure, the offshoot company headed by chris maume? he just left snellings and started his own company and i'm not sure whether i'd rather go with snellings or prosure. ad-vice?

I went with Snellings, I did'nt know Chris started his own company. I tried to reach him at Snellings before he left, he never returned my calls. I finally got ahold of Lori and got the coverage.

remember the age old option to buy just enough car that you can afford to throw away and drive the wheels off of it. Once its toast, buy another.

simple.

oh stuff it Renntag!

then you gotta worry if it will make it to the track. . . or tow it there and then you need a rig and a trailer [which according to my crystal ball are definitely in my future! i LOVE diesel trucks. . . i digress] and you gotta store it. and you gotta register it and pay taxes and all that stuff. down the road your idea is the plan. . . now if i can just get my girlfriend to supply the funding for all the above mentioneds and we're golden!!! i've already got the mustang and i feel stupid having it and not using it on a track. it's a sh!tty commuter car and drag racing's stupid and street racing is also stupid so i'm left with no other alternatives but to track the damn thing! oh well, too bad for me

yeah, i've seen it and it's awesome. i'm trying to work that friday at VIR where they all race to see who's going to win the "racing" part of the competition!

on the other topic, the bottom line is i'm stuck with what i've got. buried under a car that's worth lots less than what i owe. make me happy? easy: an E30 or a fox body with a big ole v8. done.

yeah, i've seen it and it's awesome. i'm trying to work that friday at VIR where they all race to see who's going to win the "racing" part of the competition!

LOL, two different things.

Grassroots Motorsports $2007 Challenge (Oct '07 in FL):

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/news/category/2007-challenge/

vs.

Grassroots Motorsports Ultimate Track Car Challenge (VIR 7/27):

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/news/012007/grm-ultimate-track-car-challenge.php

The first one is where the car's total cost cannot be more than $2007, and the competition is drag/autoX/carshow. The second one is a NASA TT and most competitors will have more than $2007 in wheels and tires alone.

on the other topic, the bottom line is i'm stuck with what i've got. buried under a car that's worth lots less than what i owe. make me happy? easy: an E30 or a fox body with a big ole v8. done.

How about an E30 with a big ole V8? It's been done.

Jon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, only four states don't use the "standard" track exclusion. Can't remember 3 of them, but NC is no that has NO EXCLSION that applies to ANY events.

Let me be REALLY clear; if you have your car insured on a PERSONAL auto policy in NC, with ANY insurance company. Your car is insured for ANY track events!

I know you guys are going to freak, but go read your newest policy. The NC Ins. Dept. makes carriers remove that exclusions.

I know that many of you won't believe this, but I own a ins. agency in NC and it's fact.

Now, if your underwriter or agent knows your are going on the track with your car, they will likely say no thanks.

I had my staff call all our companies and they are ok with HPDE's that are not timed. But an adjuster clued me into the fact that there is no exclusion.

Is there anyway to find out the other three states that do not allow this exclusion? My agent here in Oregon still says I'm fine with State Farm, but it would be nice to have a second opinion.

Is there anyway to find out the other three states that do not allow this exclusion? My agent here in Oregon still says I'm fine with State Farm, but it would be nice to have a second opinion.

Only one other state does not have the exclusion (I think it may be Texas?), the other two have TOTAL exclusions and heres the difference....

Those other two states don't care if it's drivers ed. or whatever. It likely says in the policy "ANY track event".

Read your policy! If it says something about an exclusion for "timed events" or "preparing or testing for a speed or race event" then you'll need to go deeper. All of my underwriters agree that in there "other" (Not NC) states, a HPDE would be covered as long as it's not timed.

It's not hard to believe that your State Farm says it's covered. They may understand that it's heavy on HPDriverEducation and not racing.

Be warned, if you, or a friend or anyone times you, and the company finds out, your likely to be screwed!

• 2 weeks later...

here's an update on DE insurance i recently received:

Jon,

We were asked by Snellings Walters Insurance Agency, to contact you regarding our DE program. Unfortunately, their program is not running at this time. WSIB has a DE program that will work for you. We have attached the application for you to review. If you are still interested in a DE Program, please complete the attached application and email back to us. If you have any questions regarding this email or the application, please feel free to contact us at the number below or via email.

Thank you,

Service Team

WSIB Motorsports Insurance

950 W. Monroe Suite G200

Jackson, MI 49202

PH (866) 904-9742 x2510

Fax (866) 974-2329

*i don't work for these guys nor know anything about them, so take this info for what it's worth.