Race seat mounting...

latapx

I'm looking for different options to mounting my OMP Big seat in my 91 Si. It is currently in the car using a wedge engineering bracket, Sparco sliders and Sparco side mount brackets. The whole combination adds up to a race seat mounted higher than the OEM seat and weighs a TON. One easy way to lower the seat would be to get rid of the sliders...but then my most likely co-driver that is 5" taller won't be comfortable in the car...and ingress/egress would be negatively affected.

Any ideas/pictures of different methods that have been used/proven?

Thanks!

I'm not a big fan of sliders. I've seen a set break on a backwards impact and the seat went flying. Luckily the guy wasn't hurt too badly. He only spent a little time in the hospital. They also raise the seat as you mentioned. Fabbing up some custom steel brackets is much better in my humble opinion.

Since you have a co-driver that is almost half a foot taller, I'd customize the brackets with mounting holes to accomodate each driver. You can easily play with different laybacks and distance from the pedals. The design and measurements can easily be done by two people. Then take the measurements and sketch to a competent welder or just buy some flat stock depending on the complexity. Mount the bracket to the car. Place the seat in the car. Climb in and get into a comfortable driving position making sure your helmet and body clears the roll cage. Then have a buddy mark the holes for drilling.

**Don't forget to use Grade 8 fasteners. They're available at just about any hardware store.

all of the bolts i'm using is grade 12...the black steel ones....cost about the same and why not go for the strongest.

I'm assuming that you are recommending to fabricate a custom bracket that attaches to the OEM points?

Indeed, I'm saying build your own bracket to mount the seat to the car.

You can use the stock holes and/or attach elsewhere depending on your safety level. Some guys decide to build as safe as they can, regardless of what it weighs. Others figure the stock holes were good enough for OEM, they're good enough for racing. This is where you get to decide where you fall.

Sorry try it now.... The thread has some info on how someone is mounting their Sparco seat, but the pictures show a aluminum seat, but you could probably do something similar for a side mount.

Sorry try it now.... The thread has some info on how someone is mounting their Sparco seat, but the pictures show a aluminum seat, but you could probably do something similar for a side mount.

I can not bottom mount my seat, it is a side mount seat. I was messing around with this last night and I think that the best alternative is going to be to use the OEM sliders which I removed from the OEM seat after drilling out countless rivets and spot welds. I'll likely tack weld the side mount brackets to the OEM sliders and position the seat in the side mounts as low as possible. If this doesn't work then there is going to have to be some custom fabbing done.

I can not bottom mount my seat, it is a side mount seat. I was messing around with this last night and I think that the best alternative is going to be to use the OEM sliders which I removed from the OEM seat after drilling out countless rivets and spot welds.

Momo makes a very good slider that is both safer and shorter than your OEM. I highly recommend it for your application. It attaches easily to side brackets for side mount seats like yours. Others have expressed it and I second the opinion that most OEM sliders run the risk of failing. Since a better solution exists you should choose that one.

I can not bottom mount my seat, it is a side mount seat. I was messing around with this last night and I think that the best alternative is going to be to use the OEM sliders which I removed from the OEM seat after drilling out countless rivets and spot welds.

Momo makes a very good slider that is both safer and shorter than your OEM. I highly recommend it for your application. It attaches easily to side brackets for side mount seats like yours. Others have expressed it and I second the opinion that most OEM sliders run the risk of failing. Since a better solution exists you should choose that one.

I did some quick searching and the MOMO slider is essentially the same as the Sparco slider. It still needs to be bolted to something and then the seat to the slider. This combination makes the seat too high.

I was seriously hoping to be able to see pictures of alternatives and what others have done. My last resort will be to weld in some steel angle and hard mount the seat.

I've sene people weld RAILS to the main hoop cage, lower than the stock location.

Then they just bolt the seat to the rails with custom brackets.

Just going to have to do something custom for 2 driver setup.

I'm 6'4" and I would prefere my seat to be stationary but I'm sure that I am going to want others to drive my car so I can get their input.. .

I'm in the process of deciding with what seat and setup I am going to go with this year as well.. .