1988 Oil Pan

Utah944

I do not have an 88 pan for sale, but from what Tim mentioned in another thread, the 87 pan may be the same. That might help you when you are out there looking.

83 pan.....Small oil pick up

84-87...... same pan, bigger oil pump pick up tube.

87 late, 88 pan....Deeper pan, extra qt of oil, longer oil pump pick up tube. tall oil pan baffle. ( pan has 4.5" circular bald spot in center of pan)

There is a baffle kit for sale on Ebay. Does anyone have any experience with these? Or should I continue to look for an 88 or it appears a late 87 oil pan?

Yes, the pan appeared in the middle of 1987 production according to my studies.

Also, It's a half liter more oil, not an extra quart, but I'll take it!

If you can't get under the car to see the round spot on the bottom of the pan, the cooling fins across the bottom of the pan are all the same length on the more desirable pan.

One more thing...the books say that the late pan is part of a system, so you shouldn't use a mix and match technique here. If you use the late pan, you need to use the late pickup and return tubes and the late dipstick.

To futher Tim's point. PLEASE use the right dipstick for the oil pan. The late and early dipsticks are different due mostly to the lenght of the dipstick tube on the pan. So mix them up and you will either run with way too much oil causing massive oil smoke or with way too little oil.

There is a baffle kit for sale on Ebay. Does anyone have any experience with these? Or should I continue to look for an 88 or it appears a late 87 oil pan?

Hi Todd,

We have three NorCal cars with the oil baffle kit. Bill P. 944spec #6, Greg B. 944spec #43 and Sid L. 944spec #168.

How well do they work? We won't know till we log more time with them.

It's just added insurance along with a cross-drilled crankshaft, etc. to prevent the dreaded #2 bearing failure.

Thunderhill turn two has the potential to take out a 944 #2 bearing with it's long, high speed, 180 degrees left hand turn.