Short 5th gear install

hhdinyuma

Anybody got a blow by blow for installing a set of short 5th gears in the transaxle? The transaxle is already removed from the car, I just need to know how to install the gears.

Thanks,

Hal,

That is the only job I have never done on my 944. I cheated and just used a 924S gearbox with the short 5th it already.

Steve Sapareto has done this swap I believe.

My non-mechanical understanding from when my guys did it, was this;

They pulled the cone off the end and using gear pullers, pulled the gear pair and installed the new ones. Didn't sound that technical? But you may want to refurbish the rest of the trans whilst it's out? That's a whole other story.

Hal,

There might be something on Clark's garage website? See shop manual section.

The short version is thus...

Stand both trannies on their bell housings. You'll need some 2 x 4's or substitutes to keep the input shaft off the deck. Pull the black cover, then the nose cone. There are (9?) 6mm socket head bolts total. Pop the rubber cap off the nose cone. This is one of 2 parts you'll need ordered ahead of time for each tranny. The other is the gasket between the nose cone and the gear carrier assy, which is the meat and potatoes of these gearboxes. You'll probably have to use an impact gun to get the bolt off the input shaft while someone is holding the other end (gray coupler)under the bell housing. Pay attention to whether the selector fork is aluminum or steel. Don't mix up the rolled pins between the two types and don't flare the rolled pins while installing them. I use lady fingers to start the gears up then switch to a gear puller. After that, the swap is made. Check the gear pair's height with respect to each other. Count the teeth! One gear of the short 5th pair has 35 teeth and the other has 29. The tall 5th gear pair has 37 and 27 teeth. I've already sold some trannies off that started life as short 5th gear trannies, but now have tall 5th's, even though the box still has a short 5th build code! These went to guys who wanted the freeway mileage and didn't care about the short 5th. I know that Dylan Scott installed an 88 tranny and found out the hard way that it had a tall 5th. Wanna see the video of me running him down with my short 5th at Cal Speedway?

Thanks for all the good info. I feel pretty sure I can handle it now. Just wasn't sure how to get started and didn't want to play Jack In The Box! Hope to have it installed for CS in March. Is CS a track where short fifth gears will help much? BTW, where can I source the gasket and plug? Paragon?

Thanks,