Passengers?

00-0980

From what I understand, HPDE 1/2 doesn't allow passengers but HPDE 3/4 does. Is this true? If so, in HPDE 3, is the passenger allowed to record part of a session using a digital camera?

-Keith

Need a camera mount. No holding objects in hands from what I read in rules. Once you have the cam-recorder anchored you don't need a passenger. . .

I am no expert or NASA official, but I can tell you my experience with this.

I tried securing a small tripod in my rear seat area with motorcycle type tie downs, bunjee cords and rope. It was very secure, but the officials made me pull it before they would let me on track. The person at grid that waves you off spotted it and made me pull it before I ever got any track time with it. Way to keep on top of things NASA! Keepin it safe as possible for all of us is much appreciated.

Before my next HPDE I had a bar made that bolted to the seat belt shoulder anchors and bought a proper I/O Port camera mount and safety strap. No problems since. Pic of my bar: http://tuff240.com/images/Camera%20mount%20bar.jpg

Hope that sheds some light on things,

Patrick D.

• 2 months later...

The NASA CCR in section 4.6 states px are allowed in Group1 ONLY if the driver gets special permission from the Instructor. It goes on to say any px not the Instructor MUST have the same safety equipment as the driver (harnesses, helmet, etc). It also states the px is NOT allowed to be carrying anything -- & specifically prohibits camcorders/cameras to be carried by the px. There are other parts of the rule I'm not quoting so just look at the CCR if you want any further clarifications.

A recent addendum/clarification to the CCR prohibits anyone under the age of 18 riding with anyone other than an Instructor.

So at an HPDE I can bring my wife for a few laps? What would you think do I need to do to get permission?

It all depends upon your Chief Instructor, your driving ability, by-laws of your local chapter & the discretion of the event coordinator.

If you get all of those aligned, it might happen. But that's a BIG if.

In my experience, NASA-NE only permits ride-alongs if you're an Advanced driver (HPDE-4) or an Instructor.

That is what I figured. MY wife is itching do do some laps. At the HPDE I will ask an instructor to drive my car with her in it. Thanks!