Electronic boost controllers in ST1/2?

spdracer22

I believe I read somewhere that having anything that allows changes[adjustable] in HP from the drivers seat/cockpit area will not be allowed. HP could be turned up during racing and turned down before after race inspection/dyno.

Rudy R Orawiec

91 C4 Corvette #33

ST2

I believe I read somewhere that having anything that allows changes[adjustable] in HP from the drivers seat/cockpit area will not be allowed. HP could be turned up during racing and turned down before after race inspection/dyno.

That's what I was thinking was going to be the problem.

I have an MBC that's located in the engine bay, but very accessible and easily adjustable. Would I run into the same problem?

What about if boost is controlled by the ECU?

Since I made my living in electronics for 40 years I know how easy it is to switch circuits. I'm not saying you would but there are racers who would do it in a heartbeat. I would assume NASA has a way to lockout adjustments. Good luck. Hope everything works out the way you need.

Don't forget that NASA will be using GPS to verify hp at Nationals this year. Given your weight will be known, NASA will use GPS data acquisition to verify your hp limits are within specs. If you bump hp in the race, the GPS should catch it. This is a much simpler solution than monitoring all the electronics in the cars.

Don't forget that NASA will be using GPS to verify hp at Nationals this year. Given your weight will be known, NASA will use GPS data acquisition to verify your hp limits are within specs. If you bump hp in the race, the GPS should catch it. This is a much simpler solution than monitoring all the electronics in the cars.

I remember reading that somewhere...it's definitely a good idea. I know I wouldn't cheat, but my worry would be that someone would claim that I could because of the controls I might be able to adjust during the race...then it would be up to me to prove otherwise...not the situation I'd like to be in.

I think if I do add an EBC, I'll at least make sure to mount it somewhere I can't reach while strapped in. You could still claim it could be tampered with before or after a race, but at least not during the race without help.

Here's the wording from the NASA Super Touring and Super Unlimited (NASA ST and SU), Official National Rules Copyright 2007

Version 1.1 November 30, 2006

"Vehicles may not use any systems from the start of qualifying through the end of post-race inspection that allow adjustment of horsepower levels that would serve to alter Dyno readings.

Examples of such systems are driver-adjustable electronic tuning and engine timing advance devices, fuel pump output modification devices, boost controllers, adjustable MAP and MAF voltage clamps, and any other system that could alter the Dyno readings when measured for compliance purposes. Any restriction device placed in the air intake system must be clearly identified as such and marked to indicate its dimensions."

I guess the words "use any systems" is open to about any intrepretation one would want to make of it. Does it mean not installed? Installed, but not operated?

"From the start of qualifying through the end of post-race inspection." Regardless of whether it's within reach of the driver or not, it could be manipulated in the paddock. hmmmm....

I'm sure Greg will enter into this discussion and give the official ruling.

I read this too and am very interested in the answer. I am certainly not going to cheat. My car can't make enough power regardless of boost to get bumped into SU and my EBC is dash mounted. If I mount it underhood is it legal? If I just give a max level HP and can turn it down to make less is it legal?

I don't want to run the same boost levels in Enduro's as I would in sprints. Do I really need to change out WG springs for each individual race?

I was interpreting it as once the car has been on the dyno, you can't change anything. So, I could set the boost levels, tune the ecu, etc. before the 'official' dyno run, but then have to keep those settings the same from that time until after the race weekend for my dyno sheet to be valid. If anything is changed (even reducing boost), it would require a new dyno run to be legal.

I would definitely like clarification as well.

One thing you guys have to understand is that NASA has always put a lot of faith and trust in the racers to be on the honor system, with super harsh penalties for cheating. The GPS will point out any obvious issues, but it should be pretty obvious what constitutes cheating.

Greg has writen in the past that ANY changes that would result in a difference in hp, increase or decrease, would need a re-dyno. Adjustable boost controllers are clearly allowed by the rules, but using them at the event is clearly going to require you to revisit the dyno.

Look, I'm running a fully adjustable ECU (megasquirt) and I think it's pretty silly to expect I'm going to remove it after I dyno so I can't make adjustments. The same logic applies to boost controllers. Obviously you don't have to remove them from the car, just don't change the settings and if you have reason to believe your hp has changed, re-dyno. If you win at Nationals, you'd better expect to be dyno'd and have your GPS looked at pretty closely.

Look, I'm running a fully adjustable ECU (megasquirt) and I think it's pretty silly to expect I'm going to remove it after I dyno so I can't make adjustments. The same logic applies to boost controllers. Obviously you don't have to remove them from the car, just don't change the settings and if you have reason to believe your hp has changed, re-dyno.

That's exactly what I thought...I'm using a modded ecu, so I'd be in the same boat.

Thanks everyone for your help...I'm new to nasa and definitely have a better understanding of how things work thanks to you guys and this site in general.

• National Staff
I was interpreting it as once the car has been on the dyno, you can't change anything. So, I could set the boost levels, tune the ecu, etc. before the 'official' dyno run, but then have to keep those settings the same from that time until after the race weekend for my dyno sheet to be valid. If anything is changed (even reducing boost), it would require a new dyno run to be legal.

I would definitely like clarification as well.

Bingo. You've got it right.

It would be best for boost controllers to be under the hood, where there is no question that they were tampered with between the race and post-race inspection. However, if there is a way to "seal" the boost controller with evidentiary tape, then that may suffice. If there isn't a way to seal it to prevent changes while on track, then it needs to be moved outside of the driver compartment. Also, all cars (especially turbos) are encouraged to purchase their own MaxQData GPS monitoring system. The systems are fairly cheap, and can be used by the driver for data acquistion purposes. Also, there is a package that can include full time monitoring of boost pressures, which could help a driver to prove that there were no alterations during a race.

The basic idea is that we don't care how much boost you need to use to get to your maximum power level, but we do care that you don't go over that level, or make changes after you dyno.