944 race tire size 16 or 17?

xupkid2

I am starting to race my 944 in the PCA stock class this year and am looking to buy a new set of wheels for some Kumho V710's or Hoosiers. I am currently debating whether to get 16's or 17's. My plan is to run 225's up front and 255 or 265 in the rear. Anyone have any preferences between the 16's or 17's and if you could say why it would be appreciated. I currently have a set of Victoracer's on 17's that I like but there is a big difference in price between the 17" Hoosiers and 16" V710's so if 16's make sense and I dont loose performance, Ill take the least expensive route and go with 16's and the V710's.

Thanks

Brian

944 spec cars all use 15" wheels. 225/50 R15 at all 4 corners.

They are effective and realatively inexpensive. They are also require by rule.

944 cup cars are allow any tire/wheel.

Anyone have any preferences between the 16's or 17's and if you could say why it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

Hey Brian:

What I have seen in the series is that drivers using the 17's like more rubber for traction and the stiffer handling, but acknowlegde some lost of torque on the tighter corners. Whether that much rubber is needed for a NA car is debatable. Most use the 15 inch wheel for more revolutions per mile, while some compromise with the 16's where there are more available tires sizes. The 17's do get more expensive. Ends up coming down to driver preference.

You might like the 17's better cause it's easy to get boxster wheels in that size range.

i prefer the smaller rim and tire to lower the gear ratio. maybe 15 wheels and 225/40 ???

Chuck

I prefer to run the same size wheel and tire on all four corners so I can rotate tires front to rear. This way I can get more life out of the tires I have. I know you can find the same size 15 and 16 for all four corners, and am pretty sure you can for 17s as well.

I plan to do some testing with 15, 16, and 17. It will probably be a compromise between tire life and gear reduction. The optimum use of the tire will also depend on the heat generated during track use. Alot of this depends on what tire you choose and manufactures suggested operation range.

My opinion:

If you are cost sensitive, buy the same size phone dials (or other stock wheels) for all four corners. The wheels won't break the bank and you'll get more life out of your tires.

Careful when you buy wheels and tires to change effective gear ratios!

You have to look at the various tires websites to see if you're actually changing overall diameter.

***When you go up in WHEEL size, you usually go down in TIRE SIDEWALL size.***

For example, go to Hoosier's website, find road racing tires, go to specs, road racing radials.

You'll find that a 275/15, 275/16, 275/17, all have the same diameter =25.5 inches. You're reducing your rotating mass by going with a smaller size (lighter) wheel, but the rolling diameter is the same. No change in gearing.

There are exceptions so do the research.

Typically, 15" tires come in 50 or 60 series.

16" tires......45 or 50 series.

17" .........40 or 35 series.

18" .......30 series.

I think the Fuchs 16x7 and 16x8 are the best wheels for the early offset 944. They are durable, light, high quality, good looking, and fit PERFECTLY!