Cage for Convertible

davidfarmer

With all of the Cobra Replicas running around with only half a cage, don't guess it should be a big deal, BUT...

If I want to run a convertible in ST/SU, andy special rules??? It would be a full 6-pt cage with a full height front bar.

Thanks!

for what it's worth, I've decided to cut the b-pillar off anyway, to fit the cage better, and may just leave it (along with the hatch) off. Save 100lbs in the process.

ST/SU have unlimited body mods, so I see no reason I can't run it (temporarily) without any kind of top, until I fab something up??!!

Any thoughts?

There are some rules that are pretty clearly spelled out in the CCR. I wouldn't say they are special, but there are things you can screw up (and take advantage of if you read very, very carefully.)

FYI: the FFR cobras that you see do have cages that are SCCA GT-1 legal. They aren't your typical open cages by a longshot.

I just meant they don't have a front "high" bar. I meant no offense to the structure.

I don't see the "clearly spelled out" rules in the CCR, at least not in the cage section. If someone could point me to them, I'd greatly appreciate it.

ST pretty much allows anything, so I'm not look for tricks, just requirement for a legal car. I know about arm restraints, but I'm looking for any cage considerations.

Dave

I just meant they don't have a front "high" bar. I meant no offense to the structure.

I don't see the "clearly spelled out" rules in the CCR, at least not in the cage section. If someone could point me to them, I'd greatly appreciate it.

ST pretty much allows anything, so I'm not look for tricks, just requirement for a legal car. I know about arm restraints, but I'm looking for any cage considerations.

Dave

Dave, what in particular are you looking for? Most of the requirements are listed int he CCR 15.6, all be it hard to follow. I just did my cage so if you have any specific questions let me know.

no, that's fine. I've been through 15.6, and just didn't see any convertible-specific requirements. AI requires an extra roof bar, but I haven't seen any other vert-specific setups.

What I'd LIKE to do is build the main hoop so the roof can go back on, BUT be able to run it roofless when the weather allows it. If I can afford it, I'd love to get a one-piece roof (targa, hatch all in one) that I can just plop on. I know ACP (World Challenge supplier) makes a 1-piece Z06 style top (trunk), but I'd like to keep the aero of the hatchback in case I ever decide to get seriouly competitive.

by the way, Now you see it, Now you don't....

Img_0841.jpg

Img_0842.jpg

that was nothing. Getting the heat/AC unit out was the testosterone job. Took the sawsall, crowbar, and every curse word I know (plus a few new one) to get that out. Now I've learned (after doing this several times) that you need to take the intake manifold off to access the bolts.