Hey Greg.......Corvette question

RAFTRACER

So after reviewing a C4 application , I was noticing that a 1996 LT4 equipped Corvette has a listed curb wieght of 147 lbs heavier than its LT1 counterpart.......The cars are identical other than the 30 fwhp difference which it takes an extra* for. Is this a typo ????? Cars are the same , I am wandering where the extra wieght comes from . (It isn't there) . A Grand Sport car may be slightly heavier due to its larger rear wheels, and rear fender flares, but all LT4 cars are not Grand Sports and the different parts on the Grand Sport are no where near that much heavier.

Thanks for your almighty wise answer....Just trying to see why this is, thanks.

I run a STOCK '96 LT4. My " race day " weight is 3488#, with driver 3628.

There aren't enough body parts to remove to get to 3350 minus 150# = 3200 #.

I've had to de-mod from B in '06 to escape having to run in A with an almost stock ( Hoosiers and bars no more) C4. I would guess I'll get " run over " in B this season.

No idea why the C4 got another * as it didn't beat anyone at the MO Championship event yet other National winners lost points for '07.

Robert Dudek

NASA MIdwest

• National Staff
So after reviewing a C4 application , I was noticing that a 1996 LT4 equipped Corvette has a listed curb wieght of 147 lbs heavier than its LT1 counterpart.......The cars are identical other than the 30 fwhp difference which it takes an extra* for. Is this a typo ????? Cars are the same , I am wandering where the extra wieght comes from . (It isn't there) . A Grand Sport car may be slightly heavier due to its larger rear wheels, and rear fender flares, but all LT4 cars are not Grand Sports and the different parts on the Grand Sport are no where near that much heavier.

Thanks for your almighty wise answer....Just trying to see why this is, thanks.

Danny, first, I think that there are some conflicting numbers floating around out there. Second, we have some owners like Robert that tell us that their cars actually weigh closer to the number we ended up using (GS curb weight) instead of the LT1 standard C4 curb weight. So, when we decided on which number to use, we decided that it would be in the best interest of the C4 LT4 owners if we used the higher curb weight, which helped to keep the base class lower. If we used the lower curb weight listing, it would have bumped the base class up higher. If a driver was able to get down to the minimum weight, it wouldn't hurt them, but if they couldn't (as Robert is stating above, it would have).

Robert, the extra * for the C4 has nothing to do with the Championships (as you pointed out). It is the same for the rest of the cars that changed base classes. We designed a new base classing system in the off-season that begins with wt/power ratio, and then adds in factors for overall weight and AWD/FWD/RWD. It then takes into account the factors such as aero package/coef. drag, torque, suspension/superior engineering, superior chassis development, but only if those OEM factors are significantly better (or worse) than an average car. The C4 in the previous classing was never assessed for these factors. It was basically classed by wt/hp (not torque) as if it was a Hugo or a Taurus. The '85-'91 was not assessed for having about 100 more ft-lbs of maximum torque over max hp. Now, the overall "bump" factor for the C4 and C5 Corvettes after all of those factors are taken into account is just one asterix over an average rwd four door sedan with the same wt/power ratio. The '85-'91 takes an extra asterix hit because of the huge difference in torque vs hp. If we had used the (hp + Tq)/2 formula like they use in GTS and USTCC, that car would be at least another one or two asterixs higher in base class. Now, I hope you are not going to try and convince all of us that the C4 and C5 Corvettes are no better than a Taurus or Crown Vic, etc with the same wt/hp ratio and overall weight.

• 1 month later...
[...... Now, I hope you are not going to try and convince all of us that the C4 and C5 Corvettes are no better than a Taurus or Crown Vic, etc with the same wt/hp ratio and overall weight.

I would try if I thought it would work....