Driving Shoes

concentric

its not nessecary or required, but if you know you're going to stick with the track/driving thing and it helps you drive the car more easily, smoothly, and comfortably... do it

This is a good question.

FWIW. I dont always drive in my comp shoes. I have accidentally found a couple pairs of shoes that have a narrow sole and offer a little more walking comfort that are great for driving. I use them at track events to keep mileage off my comp shoes. I think I found them at DSW fwiw.

This early in the game your best money is spent on 3 things:

Helmet

Books on performance driving

smart seat time

you may or may not want gloves before the dedicated driving shoes.

Have fun.

Mine are a PUMA Easy Rider

Just get on Ebay and do a search for mens puma shoes and look for any style you like with thin soles...the Speed Cat look good

What about converse all-star sports? I'm in High school and want to look good. Right now I'm either at Pumas, Skate shoes (wide, soft, and comfy), or the converse.

I'm in High school and want to look good.

Should we move this to the GQ forum? ....LOL.

If you want to look good, dont do anything stupid and you'll always look good.

...just giving you a hard time. I couldnt resist.

Hey, good topic!

I prefer driving my car in karting shoes. They are lighter, more comfortable, and offer better feel than my Puma driving shoes plus they are about 2/3rds the cost. Of course, they aren't fireproof, but then again I'm usually driving in jeans and an Iron Maiden t-shirt.

Hey, good topic!

I prefer driving my car in karting shoes. They are lighter, more comfortable, and offer better feel than my Puma driving shoes plus they are about 2/3rds the cost. Of course, they aren't fireproof, but then again I'm usually driving in jeans and an Iron Maiden t-shirt.

Kart shoes? Cool - can you post more info on the shoes you like?

I've seen some $85 Pilotis in GRM... better than the Puma Speedcats, right?

Renntag, your evil I only have the budget for one pair of shoes, the rest is for gas, entry fees, brake pads.

Renntag, your evil I only have the budget for one pair of shoes, the rest is for gas, entry fees, brake pads.

The shoes I purchased at DSW were in the clearance rack and I think I may have paid 50-60$ for both pairs. Your other option is wrestling shoes, they offer good feel and a narrow foot print. You just dont want the wide base of a running shoe as your feet will get hung up on the pedals at the worst moment.

Do not worry about shoes for now. Just enjoy your first event.

This is paramount.

Also: Get a ride along with your instructor and see just how much slower group 1 and 2 are. This will give you something to set your sights on and similarly realize how much faster you can go through the turns.

If your instructor only has one seat or is giving another student a ride, just wait on grid with your helmet and ask everyone for a ride. Even as an instructor/racer I get in other peoples cars to ride along. It gives me a different perspective. Just be sure to respect the driver and tell him/her that you just wish to ride along and wont say anything to distract them.

Bottom line, Have Fun !

Thanks for all the useful feedback and help. I have done three HPDEs and could move to Run 2, but I want to stay in 1 for a while. I'm practicing heal and toeing, but as you can guess I am having trouble learining, so I thought maybe I am wearing the wrong shoes or maybe driving shoes would help. Do driving shoes have a special sole, or is it just really thin? Thanks again for the help.

Renntag, I've ridden with the instructor driving full bore, and not only did it help me see how slow Run 1 is, but it showed me how much more my care can do with an experienced driver at the wheel...

I wouldn't use up tooooo much time trying to master Heel 'n Toe. Seat time, the line, smoothness, consistency, at ease on track, smoothness, consistency, seat time are what you be mastering. When you get to Group 3, then you'll be looking to shorten your brake zones, heel 'n toe, trail braking and several other exciting aspects of advancing thru the ranks.

Practice your heal/toe on the street, do all your downshifts that way as you slow down. Once it's almost become an unconscious act on the street, then add it to your track repertoire. You'll only have to adjust your amount of "blip" to compensate for the higher rpm. Trying to learn it cold on the track steals too much focus while you're approaching a turn, plus getting it grossly wrong at track speed/rpm isn't the best thing for the equipment. Until that time, just ease the clutch out after you're all done with braking but a little before turn-in. Until you're doing perfectly matched heal/toe downshifts on track without thinking about it, leave a moment between clutch out and turn-in so the chassis can recover if you get it wrong.

Have you heard about finding a highway cloverleaf interchange and practicing there?

Practice your heal/toe on the street, do all your downshifts that way as you slow down. Once it's almost become an unconscious act on the street, then add it to your track repertoire. ...

Have you heard about finding a highway cloverleaf interchange and practicing there?

Once again, Frank's advice is spot on. I recommend street practice to all of my students.

Focus on smooth driving and lots of seat time. Throw the tricks in as you approach group 3 as suggested by Mike.

Have fun !

I plan to run the Mid-Ohio event on Sunday april 29th, my dad will run HPDE 3 on the saturday, so I will have a minimum of 4 ride along sessions on the track.

I just wanted to make two comments based on what I've read here.

Wrestling shoes are thin on the bottom which is great for pedal feel, but if you ride in/drive a car without carpet you heels are going to burn. I got the hot foot in an AI car ride along on a 50 degree day. Luckily every time the driver hit the brakes, my feet flew straight forward.

I use G force shoes. They are really decent for $60 from Summit.

that is a good point. But most HPDE drivers are going to have carpet, and when "riding along" you can move your feet as not to get too hot.

Lastly, if there is the potential that your feet are going to get burnt from hot sheet metal, I would think that is a good reason to install a stick on flexible heat shield of some sort. This type of material is sold in most race supply catalogs.

Wrestling shoes are thin on the bottom which is great for pedal feel, but if you ride in/drive a car without carpet you heels are going to burn. I got the hot foot in an AI car ride along on a 50 degree day. Luckily every time the driver hit the brakes, my feet flew straight forward.

Nice! I just checked out summit's site - they are now $64.99... Are Piloti's worth the extra $10-15?

Nice! I just checked out summit's site - they are now $64.99... Are Piloti's worth the extra $10-15?

In my opinion... YES!

I own Puma and Addidas driving shoes but I keep finding myself back in my Piloti Spyder SV's. I think they have great pedal feel and I can stand on the concrete in the padoc all day without my legs feeling abused.

Once you buy them, you will soon find yourself wearing them all the time!!