Driving Shoes

concentric

I just wanted to make two comments based on what I've read here.

Wrestling shoes are thin on the bottom which is great for pedal feel, but if you ride in/drive a car without carpet you heels are going to burn. I got the hot foot in an AI car ride along on a 50 degree day. Luckily every time the driver hit the brakes, my feet flew straight forward.

I use G force shoes. They are really decent for $60 from Summit.

Nice! I just checked out summit's site - they are now $64.99... Are Piloti's worth the extra $10-15?

In my opinion... YES!

I own Puma and Addidas driving shoes but I keep finding myself back in my Piloti Spyder SV's. I think they have great pedal feel and I can stand on the concrete in the padoc all day without my legs feeling abused.

Once you buy them, you will soon find yourself wearing them all the time!!

I kinda like the G16...

• 4 weeks later...

I only wear Piloti's. I love how I can still walk in them after a drive. I put on a pair of Lugs after and immediately took them off. I have a pair of white SV's, Monza'a, DTM's and Ralley's. The best shoes ever.

I only wear Piloti's. I love how I can still walk in them after a drive. I put on a pair of Lugs after and immediately took them off. I have a pair of white SV's, Monza'a, DTM's and Ralley's. The best shoes ever.
I really dig my Piloti DTM's...But the heel part took a little while to break in....not a walk around town all day shoe but I wore them all day Sat and Sun last weekend at VIR and had no issues with that. made it nice when I was able to get in the car for a session..

I got a pair of Piloti Prototipo's before the last event and am very glad I did. They are VERY comfortable and greatly help car feel.

If you can afford it and you are going to be doing this for a while buy Shoes, in fact buy a suit and gloves as well (if You can afford it).

3 reasons

1. One you are going to be safer.

2. You will be more relaxed knowing that you have all of the right equipment and that you are safer.

3. May seem cheesy, but its cool and it helps to fulfill the complete dream of racing!

It is a dream to you as it is to all of us whether you are in HPDE 1 or a race group. Live the dream!

Good luck,

Sean

P.S. Don't forget to tuck the ends and the loops of your tied laces into your shoes, this will prevent the chance of the loops getting caught on a pedal.

If you can afford it and you are going to be doing this for a while buy Shoes, in fact buy a suit and gloves as well (if You can afford it).

3 reasons

1. One you are going to be safer.

2. You will be more relaxed knowing that you have all of the right equipment and that you are safer.

3. May seem cheesy, but its cool and it helps to fulfill the complete dream of racing!

It is a dream to you as it is to all of us whether you are in HPDE 1 or a race group. Live the dream!

Good luck,

Sean

P.S. Don't forget to tuck the ends and the loops of your tied laces into your shoes, this will prevent the chance of the loops getting caught on a pedal.

Hey Sean, yes this is a dream come true. I can get the shoes but I don't think I will get the suite and gloves as yet...

• 1 month later...

JMC Motorsports carries lots of racing shoes for you to choose. I went there to pick out my piloti's. There are also sparco's, simpson's, and g-force. I don't do serious racing yet, so the piloti's are great! Good luck with your choice

I won a poker tournament and dropped $200 on Alpinestars. They are NICE. Allthough anything is better than New Balance when you wear 13's

I've found wornout running shoes work better for me as:

1) You're going to be standing all day, driving shoes usually don't have any cushioning.

2) Stock pedal assemblies often have pedals spread apart. RUnning shoes have a wide forefoot.

3) Stock pedal assemblies often have pedals top mounted (except for porsche and bmw guys), running shoes can boost your foot up a bit if you need the loft.

4) Stock pedal assemblies have enough room for your feet. Driving shoes are made for small areas.

5) Your shoes will undoubtly get oily or wet during the day, and flat soles will slip on your pedals. Running shoes (particularly Nike) have ledges you can use to grip your pedals.

6) Old running shoes will give you every bit of feel as something w/o padding.

If you want something in between, I recommed some Nike cross country running shoes. http://nikeid.nike.com/ The Nike Forever or Zoom Waffle Racer models. They are like ballerina slipper with cushioning and a grippy sole. You can make them any color too.

I wear some worn-to-death Adidas Samba Classics - very little cushioning, resulting in great pedal feel. I only wear them while driving - I wear running shoes the rest of the weekend for comfort.

1) You're going to be standing all day, driving shoes usually don't have any cushioning.

2) Stock pedal assemblies often have pedals spread apart. RUnning shoes have a wide forefoot.

3) Stock pedal assemblies often have pedals top mounted (except for porsche and bmw guys), running shoes can boost your foot up a bit if you need the loft.

4) Stock pedal assemblies have enough room for your feet. Driving shoes are made for small areas.

5) Your shoes will undoubtly get oily or wet during the day, and flat soles will slip on your pedals. Running shoes (particularly Nike) have ledges you can use to grip your pedals.

If you want something in between, I recommed some Nike cross country running shoes. http://nikeid.nike.com/ The Nike Forever or Zoom Waffle Racer models. They are like ballerina slipper with cushioning and a grippy sole. You can make them any color too.

Note to self -

1. Buy a chair

2. don't walk on the "shiny" asphalt

This is good... running shoes are cost effective and can do double. If I were to commute everyday in the same shoe that I am HPDE'ing in, that would be great. Also, I have narrow feet so the wider ball area inherent in running shoes is perfect.

I have a pair of Nike Shox that don't have a separate 'tongue', they go on like a glove and are light at comfortable. These are what I will wear the next time out