4 point belts ok for TT?

Trakmnky

I talked to HMSMotorsports as well as Schroth and after many calls they have both told me the same thing.

Seat Belts/Harnesses aren’t made/certified for the vehicle but are made to conform with the specifications set forth by the automotive industry, government and other bodies. They have assured me the belts were designed for the exact purpose I intend to use them for which is TT in my EVO with NASA.

They told me that I may have seen information pertaining to specific cars, this is marketing information and that they can’t possibly test each belt/harness they make with every car make, model year and configuration.

They told me there should be absolutely no problem with using them in my Evo. I really need to know if I’m going to be ok at tech as the first event isn’t far away now. They also said they would be glad to answer any questions anyone had on theses belts.

If I can’t use the belts what do I do with my roll bar? I can’t imagine using it with 3-point belts. The whole reason I had the roll bar installed with the 4-point harnesses was multiple suggestions from various clubs when going through tech. The car will hit some serious speeds which I would feel better about with the harnesses and roll bar.

If you have a roll bar, why not use a 5 or 6 point belt?

That's what I was wondering as well. Is there some reason you don't like the normal 5 or 6 point type belts?

I can't run anything but a 4 point with the stock seats. Going to an aftermarket seat for a 5 or 6 point would mean more points tacked on from NASA bumping me up a class.

My wife also runs the car in HPDE and is only 4'11" so finding an aftermarket seat that fits us both is almost imposible.

What seat do you run your 5 and 6 points with? I'd like to see pictures. My Profi III's can be made into a 5 or 6 very easily.

Thanks,

don't do the item by item weight reduction. claim alternate method, run what seats you want to run and take the weight of the cage out of the car (and maybe a bit more) points-free

win-win

Thanks for the idea. I'll recalculate and see how things come out. Still have to find a seat that fits both of us though and is fairly inexpensive. Any suggestions?

• National Staff
I can't run anything but a 4 point with the stock seats. Going to an aftermarket seat for a 5 or 6 point would mean more points tacked on from NASA bumping me up a class.

Thanks,

Uh...wrong. You just said that you have a roll bar:

Page 20 of the TT Rules:

1) Non-OEM driver seat +1 (no points if accompanied with a roll bar/cage installation)

2) Non-OEM passenger seat +1 (no points if accompanied with a roll bar/cage installation)

Also you might check the Schroth installation guide for those harnesses... there's something in there about people under 4' ??" shouldn't use them.

6-points work fine with stock seats. The sub belt is anchored in the same locations at the lap belt. You sit on the sub belt and it works pretty well IMO. I had this setup in my car until thos year when I bought a pair of Cobra racing seats.

Again, from the Schroth site. FYI...

Never use the harness belt system for persons which weigh less than

40 kg (88 lbs.) or those who are less than 150 cm (4‘11“) tall,

regardless of age.

not sure if this was common knowledge or not but Schroth 4pt w/ ASM and HANS do not mix

From The HANS device owners guide pg3:

"Do not use any SCHROTH harnessbelt model with the asm® feature with a head and neck restraint. The extra elongation provided by the asm® energy converter can impair the effectiveness of the head and neck restraint."

http://www.msar-safety.com/download/990161HANS_SSPInfoBook.pdf

This was something I considered since Im already going to be getting one for Formula Russell, guess ill have to go 6pt sooner than later.