Kirkey seat installation

99cobra2881

Quick question. Does the back of a Kirkey seat need to be tied into the roll cage hoop or are the lower floor mounts good enough?

The seat has a back brace but Im alot taller than the previous owner. I built a new seat bracket that lowered the seat down and set it back several inches but in doing so I changed the mounting location of the back brace. As it sits right now the back brace would have to be mounted above the harness slots in the seat. I didnt know if the back brace has to be mounted in a certain location or even if moving it up would be possible/safe.

I also am facing an interference problem with the back brace and the shoulder harness's since the back brace is now mounted above the holes in the seat for the harness to pass through.

Is it allowable to run the shoulder belts around the outside of the seat or do they have to come through the seat back?

If they have to be run through the seat then I think narrowing the back brace by an 1" on each side will cure the interference.

Thank you for your help.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure as far as the rules go, but it doesn't seem very safe to run the shoulder belts around the seat instead of through the holes. It might also make it impossible to properly wear a hans device. I don't leave home with out mine.

Since you say that you are alot taller than the previous owner, it could be that the harness holes in the seat back are too low for you? If the belts go over your shoulders down through the holes then back up to the harness bar it could be an unsafe routing of the harness.