Tire wear

Len336

I recently ran my first DE, a two day with the PCA at CMP. Had a great time, ran well, but I'm wondering about my left front tire wear. I'm scheduled for the 3/31-4/1 DE at VIR.

Here's the left front:

http://home.earthlink.net/~c336/

No cords showing, good tread depth, but torn up on the shoulder. It's a street all-season tire - yoko avid v4s. I plan on getting a better set for track use, but would love to get a few events out of these first. Will this pass tech? Should I run on it? Should I have it remounted so the wear area is on an inside rear? Or replace it?

I'm getting some mixed responses locally, and would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

Look like the tire has "chunked" due to being run full tread depth and overheated with positive camber.

IMO, sure you can run it like that, but it's only going to get worse. Another set/type of tires would be better suited for track. Falken Azenis would be my choice for you.

Thanks for the responses. As long as it will pass tech, my plan is to flip it and run it on the back. Just didn't want to show up at VIR and not be able to run. They felt pretty good on the car, and time is too short to get a new set and get some miles on them. And yes, these were pretty new with full tread depth. I also experimented with tire pressures and maybe had them a bit too low for a session or two. Thanks for the Falken Azenis recommendation - I've heard that from some others too.

Len336. I would NOT run that tire again! It shows extreme heat marking and "chunking" probably due to the underinflation you spoke about. Have a competant tire guru demount the wheel and check for any indication of tread separation. Personally I would not trust them.

Even getting a set of used R compunds from another racer that just put on a fresh set at the track would be vastly superior to running a damaged tire like that.

My 2C.

Good luck!

If I make the jump and order a set of tires today - Falken RT615s or Hankook RS2s (any preference/suggestion?) - they'd be on the car Monday. With the DE on Sat, I'd only put 100-150 miles on them before the track. Tire Rack says I need 500 miles of breakin or I should run less than all out. Edge Racing says no problem to start running them hard right away. Which is it?

I ran the Falken RT615's at CMP, and they were brand new for Saturday morning there. They held up fine, and are still in good shape with plenty of grip after a second event at Road Atlanta this past weekend. I did take it easy the first session to wear some of the release agents off, but that was all I did.

If I make the jump and order a set of tires today - Falken RT615s or Hankook RS2s (any preference/suggestion?) - they'd be on the car Monday. With the DE on Sat, I'd only put 100-150 miles on them before the track. Tire Rack says I need 500 miles of breakin or I should run less than all out. Edge Racing says no problem to start running them hard right away. Which is it?

I have no experience with the Hankooks, but I've got LOTS of it with the Falkens. The Falkens have good grip and last a LONG time in my experience. You can flip them to maximize wear also.

As far as break-in IMO you'll be fine. As long as you've driven them enough to remove the release agent left from the mold there's no problem. 150 miles is plenty to do that.

One note about pressures though. The Falkens work best when they do not exceed 40 PSI not. Any higher and they get greasy. You need to experiment with your cold pressure to end up with the correct hot ones. My FWD car is heavier than yours, but as a reference I start with a max of 32 PSI cold to end up with 39-40 PSI hot.

I run the Hankook Z212 RS2s in a 205/45/16 - I do not suggest them.

I'm 2480lb with driver and full tank, add instructor and we are 2680lbs - K20A2 6spd with 206whp 156trq is where I dynotuned on a DynoJet.

They do not have enough traction in a straight line for me at the top of second gear and sometimes @ top of 3rd. Whenever I hit 6500 rpm in my K20, I light the 205s up in 2nd.. . Car pushes too much in 3rd gear as well trying to stay at close to full throttle through the turns.

I believe the Hankooks will be better through out their life in the wet than the RT615. I did well in the wet with my Kooks and was doing way better than most all the people in HPDE 2 with the Porsched Club in the rain.

The other day at AutoX in 45deg weather, people with Azenis looked to have better traction than me.

The hankook Rs2s Tramline more than any tire I have ever road on. I however have only ran these Kooks on my Civic that has a PS rack with no power steering... .

I will be ordering 215/45/16 RT 615s when my Kooks wear out if I decide to keep these 16s.. . I suggest the RT615s even though I have not driven on them.. .