Lap timing equiptment questions

ruski

Possibly relivant info:

Current Group: 3

Basically I am trying to figure out what exactly I need to have my car timed at events.

Looking around the forums I think I may have found what I need but I am not totally sure. At the next Thunderhill event I am looking at getting my Group 4 sign off, and I've come to the point where I would like to know how changes to my driving style/car setup effect my lap times.

Also how does the lap timing setup work, in the sense of how you get your lap times? I know I need a transponder of some sort, but do I also need a separate device to actually tell me my times, or do they get posted at the track? Lets say I don't get my Group 4 sign off, even though I am still in Group 3 can I get my lap times?

Possibly relivant info:

Current Group: 3

Basically I am trying to figure out what exactly I need to have my car timed at events.

Looking around the forums I think I may have found what I need but I am not totally sure. At the next Thunderhill event I am looking at getting my Group 4 sign off, and I've come to the point where I would like to know how changes to my driving style/car setup effect my lap times.

Also how does the lap timing setup work, in the sense of how you get your lap times? I know I need a transponder of some sort, but do I also need a separate device to actually tell me my times, or do they get posted at the track? Lets say I don't get my Group 4 sign off, even though I am still in Group 3 can I get my lap times?

timing is only available in competition sessions.

sounds like you might want to start working towards doing Time Trials

not only would you be able to get & compare your own laptimes, but you'll be able to compare yourself against your fellow competitors as well

keep an eye out on Ebay for (or just buy a new) an AMB transponder. Either the direct wire or rechargable will work, I prefer the rechargable for its ease to move between cars

I use this when not racing,

http://www.cc-2000.com/xtracing/en/ultra-lap/index.html

You have to setup a transponder on the side of the track, good thing is there is usually one already setup, so then you can put yours somewhere else around the track and set it to record 'split' times. I think there's an AMB display you can buy as well but IIRC just the display device coast as much as the ultralap.

Ultra Lap in car timing has recorded every lap at every event for us. Usually someone has a unit already setup on the side of the track and we never have to get ours out. Except when we want to record "Split Timing" between certain sections of the track and "Lap" times, then we collect both each lap. You down load to a laptop or PC for a print out later or once you get home.

• 2 weeks later...

If you buy a transponder you can get your laptimes from mylaps.com but it usually takes the ladies a couple of days after the event to upload them. Otherwise, if you buy alot of cookies, flowers, beer or whatever it takes, sometimes, if their not busy, the ladies at scoring will give you a printout of your laps.

I use the G2X from Racetech for the immediate results as well as data on the individual turns. http://www.g2extreme.com/ However it is pricey $900 but it gives you alot of information and immediate laptimes that are within a hundredth of a second from the Transponder. also You can take it with you from car to car.

Remember, the best indicator is the seat of your pants, and working one corner at a time.

Good luck in HPDE4!

Sean

another option if your budget allows is to get a data acquisition system. There are many to choose from all offering different benefits. I personally like the AIM and for about 7-900$ you can monitor many many inputs. After each session you will be able to look at g-forces, lap times, segment times all combined with what ever inputs you decided to record. Brake activation, throttle angle, brake pressure, coolant temp, oil temp, anything.

Lap times alone will not give you the information needed to truly learn to go faster. By looking at data and segments, you can see WHERE you are faster, slower, more or less consistent and then possibly even....WHY.

All of the above data can be put onto video as well.

Enjoy.

Ive heard of Hot Lap and it comes with a complete setup with the transponder and the receiver with a heads up display. Or just the reciever and the HUD. Then, like they said, there is the more expensive MSD Racepak. I think this is the best out there right now.

the AMB stuff you'll need for TT or a race group I've yet to see integrated into any other system, meaning you'll need to buy their transponder for official times

• 1 year later...

Check out what RLC Racing has to offer. Full GPS system and easy to read screen. I used it at Buttonwillow the 13th, 14th, and15th and the times were of the track transponder in the thousands of a second, no joke! Here's a link www.rlcracing.com

• 5 weeks later...

Besides the AIM system, there's a unit called Traqmate. I use it and it's great; also easy to move between cars as you just need a cigarette lighter.

Besides the AIM system, there's a unit called Traqmate. I use it and it's great; also easy to move between cars as you just need a cigarette lighter.

Traqmate is awesome. I finally bought one of my own and am in love with this thing. It's really impressive what all it can do with minimal setup, and it does even more if you take the time to learn it.

I set the start/finish position as I blew by it doing 70-80 mph, so I'm sure that wasn't perfect, but it still gave me lap times that were pretty close to my official AMB transponder times from NASA...

1htnyx.jpg

And my fast lap from another session only differed from the official AMB time by 0.001 seconds.

I'm also quite fond of the Theoretical Best Lap feature, because it tells me the lap time that it already knows I can run in my car and basically what I need to do to make it happen. Predictive Lap Timing is also pretty nice, but I haven't had time to mess with that on track much yet (the middle of a race on a track you don't really know yet isn't such a great time to play with your gadgets).