Info

darkintegra

I loved autocross style racing all my life and Im very interested in trying out the honda challenge.How can I start?Do I need a special License?I currently own a fully built 92 integra LS/VTEC.I read the rules but dont understand what class I would run in.

Thanks for your help

Come on up to VIR this coming week-end and hang out with the HC crew and you'll find out everything you'll need to know.

... and welcome.

Cool! And, welcome! Although Honda Challenge is racing on dedicated road circuits with other cars, not autocross (solo timed laps with cones in parking lots.)

You would need a NASA competition license to race Honda Challenge, which you can get by going through our HPDE program and then doing a comp school. The progression goes like this:

http://www.nasaracing.net/hpde.htm

After you get to group 3 "Advanced" and have some seat time there, you can then do a comp school in a built racecar (or do Time Trials, or become an instructor, etc.)

Don't worry about the car classing for now, just start coming to HPDE events. If you're in Georgia you will want to play with the legendary Jim Pantas and the awesome NASA-Southeast gang. Apr 14-15 at Rockingham or May 19-20 at Roebling, for starters:

http://www.nasa-southeast.com/schedule.jsp

You could also play with the NASA Mid-Atlantic gang at CMP in SC the first weekend in May:

http://www.nasaracing.net/CMP_May_07/event.htm

With no prior experience you would want to sign up for HPDE1 at any of those events. It's the best money you will ever spend on your car, I promise.

Hope it helps,

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
.... It's the best money you will ever spend on your car, I promise.

I couldnt agree more. Join NASA and sign up for HPDE. Dont wait becuase I'd be willing to bet HPDE for CMP is FULL already. If you are willing to make the trip anyway, it is possible to get in on the waitlist if you are present.

The other item you will need is a log book for your car in order to enter comp school. You can get the logbook at any time right up to the night before taking comp school. You DO NOT need this for HPDE. You will receive a "passport" that documents your progression through HPDE and is used to get you into comp school.

My advice is to not make any other improvements to your car other than safety items required for a log book. From that point, the greatest performance upgrade for the car is between the ears of the driver. Learning to drive your car faster will make you faster than spending money on go fast parts. Save your money for entry fees. Register early and register often.

Best of luck.