Newbie Question - Refueling

Gibscreen

I know the rules say that everyone over the wall has to have driver-style gear (except for the helmet, which can be SA90 or SA95). My question is whether it's allowed to just have the 2 drivers doing the refueling. One driver refueling and the other holding the fire extinguisher. Of course it would take longer, I'm just curious if that's cool by the rules.

The sequence would be something like this:

Driver 1 pulls into their pit. Driver 1 gets out and grabs fuel jug and Driver 2 holds fire extinguisher. Driver 1 finishes refueling. Driver 2 straps in and off he goes. (I have Driver 1 refueling because my SM should only need one refueling for a 3 hour enduro, and if any fuel spills, I'd rather it be on the guy finishing driving, than the guy about to drive)

From the rules, it seems like this should be fine. Anyone else just doing enduros without crew? I'm not necessarily looking for the best pit stop. I just want to get out there and race.

Thanks,

Rob

Actually, only the fuel person has to have on the safety gear. The extinguisher person does not need to have the safety gear.

Remember that only a person in full safety gear can touch any fuel related items 'over the wall'. That includes the fuel jugs, pan/mat, open fuel cap, fuel soaked rag(s) and funnel (if used).

Also remember that the fuel jugs must be controlled at all times. That means that it can't be sitting on pit row without someone holding it or having a hand on it.

If you will only have the two drivers, then yes, you could use the plan you have worked out.

But wouldn't the person holding the extinguisher need to be over the wall in some cases? Like if the fuel port on the car is on the opposite side of the car than the pit wall.

Hey Rob, I would suggest additional crew recruited from the racers/spectators at the event. There are always capable people ready to help. If you search around, some pit chiefs will have no problem sharing adjoining pits or equipment. Just passing gas jugs, cleaning up and readying catch pans/carpets as well as safety stuff like checking harnesses, cleaning windshields, checking tire pressures demand more people. The concern is that all the time holding a fire extinguisher keeps the #2 driver from an unrushed safety lash-in the car. Also I'm unclear how long the fire extinguisher guy has to be available. Just putting the cap back on the car doesn't relieve him/her from having to be on the hot pits.

If you're going to BW this month April 14/15 just look me up (Maddog) and you can hook up with us or I'll help find capable people to assist if you want.

We're running a Honda and maybe a Cobra in the Enduro.

Later,

MD out

But wouldn't the person holding the extinguisher need to be over the wall in some cases? Like if the fuel port on the car is on the opposite side of the car than the pit wall.

The extinguisher person does need to be over the wall. They need to have the pin pulled & ready to operate the extinguisher. For the dry chem. type, they should be approx. 10' away. and have a direct line of sight to the fuel person(s). Close enough to use it properly but not close enough to be caught in the initial flash.

The extinguisher needs to be manned when ever there is fuel activity happening. That means that from when fuel jugs go over the wall ( into pit lane) until they are back over the wall & the fuel cap is closed.

Fire extinguisher person is not considered a 'fueler'. They are the 'extinguisher' person. Below are sections of the enduro rules. Note that they are from separate sections. These sections have remained the same since at least 2000 - first year I participated in a NASA enduro.

8.5. Refueler attire

"....All over-the-wall crewmembers in contact with any fueling device or catch pan will be considered another refueler and subject to proper attire."

8.7. During refueling

During refueling, at least one crewmember must hold a fire extinguisher and be ready to put out a possible fire while other crewmember(s) refuel the car. It is recommended that the person holding the fire

extinguisher be wearing the same safety equipment as the refueler, but it is not required. It is recommended that the person manning the fire extinguisher remain at least seven (7) feet away from the

refueler(s) so as not to be engulfed in any flash fires that may occur.