Andy Bowman AI

Bryan MacMillan AI

Keith Parker AI

Ryan Willson AI

Vageli Karas AI

Dean Jones AI

Aaron Pfadt AIX

Ernesto Roco AIX

Team Witherow is also expected in AIX with the new car or #04 car.

In group B, there is 33 to 35 cars already signed up, so it will be another busy track with AI, CMC and FFR.

Andy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V8cobra99

• racercosmo

• pederb

• Ernesto Roco

Keith Parker started on pole from the rain soaked Q session.

The race started on a slowly drying track, but rain returned on lap 3.

Andy Bowman

Keith Parker Fast lap 2.09.

Jon Witherow

Brian MacMillan

Hal Massey

Dean Jones

Cory Weber had it easy in AIX after Ernesto parked because of the rain.

Vageli and Ryan decided to pass on the race today, but the weather report for tomorrow is mid 70s and sunny.

It's sunny and q session just ended.

Ernesto had his mop handy and cranked out a 1:52.060 for the AIX and overall pole.

Keith Parker on pole agan with 2:03.241.

Wow, Thunderhill was a lot of fun. I love that track for some reason. It is definitely worth the 10 hour tow.

Thanks Cosmo for your support at the track, we really appreciate you stepping up with Andy to tech the cars and lead us around for the weekend.

Congrats to Keith Parker for an impressive drive all weekend and for the Sunday win and to Andy for the Sat win. Keep it up.

I hope to come back again this November, hopefully with better conditions. Raining all day Saturday blows and having the 40 MPH winds on Sunday really blows

Man those Hoosier tires worked great too.

1:55.689 was the old record. The new record is 1:53.216.
Coz, the new record must be 1:52.060 if Ernesto did that in Q or are you only counting race?

Congrats to all the winners

Hey guys,

I race with nasa nor cal in a diffrent class. I alwase love watching you guys race and this weekend was no diffrent! great racing out there!!

Only race laps count for records, so The Janitor has some more room for next time to meet his 1:52 mark.

Good to see everyone yesterday and it was excellent to watch the race. Congrats to all and again many thanks to Cosmo for stepping up and doing a wonderful job helping us with compliance.

-JWL

I am drafting up the race reports now. Holy cow, so much drama and racing to report.... its gonna be a long report....

Pictures: http://new.photos.yahoo.com/album?c=v8cobra99&aid=576460762398241650&pid=&wtok=oxXjaXAN7LOrlwH.UsI8Wg--&ts=1176779457&.src=ph

Above all, Thanks COSMO !!! for excellent tech inspections and coordinating on a few sensitive issues with professionalism. You were pretty busy... oh ya, thanks for not DQing me for giving you that Coors Light beer, I owe ya a 12-pack of Sam Adams....

Great Job Ernesto in AIX for hauling Arssss. And Corey Weber for braving the cold wet track on slick Hoosiers with 600Hp, how you kept it on the track at all is just a true test.

In AI, holy cow, AI-West is getting serious. Parker, Vageli, Massey, MacMillan, Ryan Willson, Bowman, Jon Witherow, Dean Jones. The firepower showing up in the cars is setting new standards. I hate to keep saying this, but it was again, some of the best racing in AI West...

Saturday Race Results (wet rain race):

1. Bowman #99

2. Parker #17

3. Jon Witherow #04

4. MacMillan #34

5. Massey #46

6. Dean Jones #85

7. Vageli - did not race

9. Ryan Willson - did not race

Sunday Race (windy, but no rain): (double-checking the final results as we had some last minute changes after race)

1. Keith Parker #17

2. Bryan MacMillan #34

3. Andy Bowman #99 (fastest lap of the weekend award)

4. Hal Massey #46

5. Dean Jones #85

6. Ryan Willson #49 (mech. failure)

7. Vageli Karas #31 (tech)

8. Jon Witherow #04 (tech)

Series Sponsor AGENT47 (http://www.agentfortyseven.com), Mr. Corey Weber handed out $250 dollars cash award to Andy Bowman for the weekend's fastest lap of a 2.01.6, and awarded Vageli cash award at California Speedway in March.

More report to follow.....

Andy B.

Tech inspection was very detailed and I am very glad to see that.

My car was poked, prodded, measured, scaled, in ways never done before and I'm glad to have passed every test

Thanks Cosmo and Andy for checking rules compliance to this detail. It is time.

Hopefully, we can come up with a way to check electronic devices that can change a cars tune in AI so parameters cannot be tampered with after getting a dyno certification. This is opening up a can of worms, I know but it has to be done.

See you all at the track

For the benefit of others, what things were checked this time around that have not been looked at in the past?

That little nugget about electronic compliance and dyno tuning is interesting, do you care to elaborate more? Is that why two cars were DQ'd?

The "tech" issues were one car was just a tad light by only 15lbs, and one was track width. Cosmo checked every rule on every car for full compliance. There were a few issues found, but overall, all the cars were well within the rules.

andy

I no longer race in AI so I would like to believe that I can look at this objectively and offer some suggestions.

For Fuel Injected cars I would like to see some sort of seal around the ECU that would not allow any sort of access to the engine tuning parameters without breaking the seal. Also, if there was a possible way to seal wiring, distributor, rev limits, gas pedal travel, sensors, air filters, etc. that would be great.

For Carbed cars maybe we can seal the bowls or something that would not allow the changing of jets, metering blocks, air filters as well.

I know there are more ways of altering power output to the wheels but addressing what is mentioned here will be a step in the right direction.

There are also a lot of smart people here who can figure out a way to do this without much disruption to the current process. What do you think?

It was great to see everyone and it really was a fun weekend even with the wild weather...dinner Saturday was great too...it is nice to see something of an AI social scene developing...

AI West 46

All cars were checked for ride height, wheelbase, and track. AIX was also checked for minimum weight. Without dismounting tires, I didn't know of an exact way to measure wheel widths, but most of the guys were on Cobra Rs, and I made an eyeball measurement of the sidewall angle for the cars that had other wheels. As far as sealing cars, that was spoken of, and details are being worked out.

I feel like I made a mistake on the track width issue. I was told by several drivers that rear track was never measured, so I didn't go there on pre race inspection. After the Sunday race, the official NASA inspector checked the rear of all cars and found a car out of compliance. That car had 1" spacers on the rear so if I had checked, the issue could have been resolved.

A few guys also were reminded about proper safety gear. It's silly to get a fine because you left your Nomex socks in the trailer.

As far as sealing cars, that was spoken of, and details are being worked out.

Consider a scenario where, say, a husband and wife are running a car as a team. Supposing a scenario where there's a 100 pound difference between the two, it would be logical to flash the computer between races to use the husband's or wife's tune on each day. Sealing the obd2 port (which is how the ecu is flashed in this not so hypothetical situation) would prevent the team from running the car to its fullest, and also prevent the ability to hook the computer up to the obd2 port for diagnostic purposes.

I believe I've emailed John about this in the past when the subject came up, and I hope that this is taken into consideration. If there's no provision for the above scenario it would require us to run at a disadvantage.

I'm glad to hear that thorough tech inspections are being done, and that folks had a great time up North. I got some photos of Bill putting on a drifting clinic at BW that I'll have to post up at some point.

Jason

Weather and technical issues aside, I enjoyed the weekend as well. My hat's off to Cosmo and Andy for a job well done. Cosmo did a great job and was very thorough.

I also have to thank the Massey's as well for a great dinner on Saturday.

The sealing the ECU port would be tough for those of us who are still trying to sort out problems, or keep up with changing weather conditions, in my case it is heat soak detonation, I was getting rattle after the 4th or 5th hard lap, so between sessions I hooked up the laptop and was pulling timing, my tune was lower than my dyno sheet

Just my 2 cents.