Headlights

darkintegra

This might be a stupid question but why do people tape their healights?Is it a requirement?What happens during night races,if any?

This might be a stupid question but why do people tape their healights?Is it a requirement?What happens during night races,if any?
not a stupid question, tape can keep the pieces together should they get broken and possibly protect from stone chips. Lights are obviously uncovered in night races...they also do get chipped and or broken from car to car or car to other hard stuff contact.

nobody said that.

Technically you are required to cover your headlamps I believe. Its smart anyway....keeps them from getting chipped, as Sean mentioned.

first thing I thought of when I saw this thread title was...."Kill the headlights and put it in neutral....."

For HPDE:

11.4.14 Lights Covered

It is recommended, not required, that all exposed lights be covered with tape, except brake lights.

For race:

15.15 Lights

... All cars must have at least one functioning red taillight, red brake light, and adequate headlights when competing in night races. Except during night races, all lights must be covered with tape. Brake lights shall not be covered with tape or have their function altered or purposely hindered in any way.

"...Stock car flamin with a loser and the cruise control..."

Can you remove them completely and replace them with ducting? I have a front clip that I can remove and replace the headlights very easily. Would this be legal?

you need to read the rules for your class

Can you remove them completely and replace them with ducting? I have a front clip that I can remove and replace the headlights very easily. Would this be legal?

alot of things will fly for HPDE, and almost anything goes in TT/PT/ST/SU as long as you take the proper assessments for the modification...

if you're talking a more particular class than that.... read your rulebook

• National Staff

The requirement is really that lights should be covered if they are glass. Since most of the cars we see now have plastic housings and just a small bulb inside, they do not need to be taped.