$1200 premium for HPDE events

jon dawes

i have a non-binding estimate from SnellingsWalters for my 2007 Mustang GT for driving events. obviously some will think this insane, but the thought of a wreck and a $3X,000 bill to pay is more insane in my opinion. plus i'm having my girlfriend, brother, and father [not all at once] drive the car in the HPDEs and want them to have piece of mind that if something happens with them at the wheel it will be covered.

i'm not absolutely certain what this will cover, but it is a specifically supplemental policy to fill in gaps in my regular coverage. i need to ask a few more questions before i pull the trigger, and it's all gotta be paid up front! none of this monthly installment crap. . .

anybody wanna chime in??? please do.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jon dawes

• Renntag

• getfast

• Renesisfury

I would say you have 3 options.

1. You Pay the $1200.

2. Split the $1200 cost between each driver

3. Buy a $1200 beater and thrash it.

I feel the HPDEs are very safe and accidents rarely happen, but sometimes they do, so I would protect the 30K investment if you are that worried.

.....I would protect the 30K investment ....

And drive a beater on track.

You can buy a spec honda for less than 5 grand. There are many fully prepared cars in that price range.

The first rule in tracking your car is you should be willing to push it off a cliff and walk away. Keep that in mind.

Now granted I have not seen many incidents in HPDE, but they happen. Why not drive a cheap car and beat it senseless?

i was ASSuming it was per annum. . . but i've been wrong before! but you gotta agree with me that $3,200 is way better than 30 Gs!!!!????

i guess a beater would be ideal, but THIS is the car i have now and will have for a long time. i'm seeing now how crazy it is to have such a nice car with 300+ hp to just drive around on public roads. i'm beginning to wonder what the point is unless I can actually "drive" the car in a proper "performance" oriented event. blah blah blah

And drive a beater on track.

The first rule in tracking your car is you should be willing to push it off a cliff and walk away.

Remember that it doesn't even have to be your mistake that causes the wreck. Someone else can have a mechanical issue, brain fade etc and the outcome is still the same.... bad for you.

If you are willing to spend $1200 for an insurance premium, you would be better off to put that money into a beater car and some tires. That money is not far off a honda, miata etc that would be great fun on the track.

Your risk is minimal, but it is still there and it would be a shame to stuff a 30k car. I know that I would never push a 30k car on the track because I could not absorb the loss without having some server indigestion.

...what the point is unless I can actually "drive" the car in a proper "performance" oriented event...

The point is this...If you really want to get the most out of driving a 300hp car that you cant afford to "throw away", drive a 100hp like its stolen. Really LEARN to drive the wheels off a car. ANYTHING.

If you really like mustangs, as I do, then buy a fox mustang for 3K, put springs, struts, braided brake lines, and good brake pads on it and let it eat. Share that with your family as the track car and when it gets scratched or damaged in anyway.....just fix it as cheaply as possible and get it ready for the next track event.

The best advantage to tracking a fox mustang is that it will more closely relate to the characteristics of your S197 GT. Front engine V8 sedan with a stick axle.

Once you personally progress through HPDE2 and into group 3, you might want to bring both cars to the track and maybe take the new car out for a session.

You just have to decide: Do I want to learn to go fast or do I want to look good on the track in my new GT?

i totally agree with you. but consider this: i'm "married" to this car financially and all my money is wrapped up in it. i'm starting off backwards by buying a new car and THEN discovering the track!!! so until i can back-track [ha ha], i'm just going to have to do what i can with this car til i can "trade down" for a powerstroke and an older race car with a trailer or something. . . but i totally hear what you're saying and agree with it. . . but my reality is slightly different at the moment!

i was ASSuming it was per annum. . . but i've been wrong before! but you gotta agree with me that $3,200 is way better than 30 Gs!!!!????

Absolutely without a doubt. I just thought it was interesting that it wasn't stated anywhere on their website what the timeframe was for that price. Looking at the math, I'm guessing that's "per event" but I'm ASSuming as well. You should call 'em and let us know. I'm sure the group would benefit from the information.

Jon

I drive a fairly expensive race car at my own risk. Now its not my only ride, but its not insured against a racin' deal.

Consider this. Even if you pay $1200 for the insurance. The wreck could easily cost you the $3000+ you are insuring against anyway. Increased premiums for one. Any wreck you have fixed thru an insurance company

will hit the carfax and kill your trade in value.

Since you will pay for it one way or another, I say drive it without the insuarance knowing that if you break it, you have to fix it.

... without any special insurance, it'll also force you to drive within your limits.

I tracked my (then) new 99 Camaro SS for two and a half years, coming up thru the ranks, before I got a dedicated track car that I could really throttle around the track. I would change pads and tires and disable the air bag at the track. I had to remember one thing (and it was a biggie),

"I drove the car here, and I need to drive the car to work on Monday morning."

Other than a few rock chips, and a transmission that went south (it was covered under the extended warranty I'd bought with the car), it all went well and the car is still in my garage.

at_the_Glen-299x179.jpg

It all comes down to what makes you sleep better at night. If it's a policy that covers any mishap, on or off the track, then get it. You have to be able to focus on learning once on track, not so totally consumed about the well being of your car that you can't learn and you become an obstacle.

Edited by Guest

I hit the wall at Phoenix Int'l Raceway in an HPDE in Oct 06, and while the damage didn't look all that bad at the track, the radiator was cracked and the car was towed to an Acura dealership. The total damage came out to be $13,000...and State Farm covered it. The car had only 9,000 miles on it.

I drive a Corrado on track now. When it runs, that is.

The whole sad story is http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=11796

... before I got a dedicated track car that I could really throttle around the track.

Mike, when did this happen?

Sorry, could resist.

I had to remember one thing (and it was a biggie),

That's nearly the identical thing I tell myself in grid. "Drive it like you have to drive it home - 'cause you have to drive it home." I agree its not a bad idea to set your frame of mind before the grid control releases you.

Alan

I tracked my (then) new 99 Camaro SS for two and a half years, coming up thru the ranks, before I got a dedicated track car that I could really throttle around the track. I would change pads and tires and disable the air bag at the track. I had to remember one thing (and it was a biggie),

I did the same thing for 2 years with my GTI. Even had a small trailer I brought my race equipment on. It worked great. But there was always the reality that I might not have a car on Monday. And I needed to drive it to work.

I felt 100% confident that I could keep it off the wall. But could I keep other drivers from screwing up and putting me into the wall? And could I keep stuff from breaking? To accomplish this, I stayed in HPDE3 instead of advancing to 4. I stayed off the track if the grass was wet. And I was meticulous about checking the car over.

Then one day one of my wheels very nearly came off. They were new wheels that had shown an ability to loosen their bolts. So I torqued them carefully. But this session (the 4th or 5th with the new wheels) 4 of the 5 bolts had come out - gone. (These were bolts, not studs!) Point being - I found out that the best planning and cautious mindset can still fail you.

At HPDE1-3 I think you'd be fine with just a dose of common sense and no insurance. Once you find yourself really pushing the car in group 4 (or ready for 4) with R compounds and a serious setup - consider moving to something with proper safety gear so you can stuff it and still walk away (physically and financially).

This is just my opinion, but something that I would stress if asked. If you are going fast enough to have a "racin' deal" then you are going fast enough for proper safety equipment.

Even in HPDE 1 I was running 130 mph down the back and 115 down the front with a lot of concrete in the general area. I was uncomfortable allowing myself to go that fast without my window net up in case of a driver's side impact with that concrete. The idea that some were running faster than I was in other run groups and has not cage and no 5 pt harness much less a window net was unsettling.

But that is just me and my car has a full cage and a fuel cell while still streetable.

... i'm "married" to this car financially and all my money is wrapped up in it. ...

That being the case, dont hesitate to use the car, just be mindful that things DO happen. I havnt seen anything beyond minor damage in HPDE. We are only giving you the alternate car advice because each of us has driven nice cars gently, and cheap cars hard. This is why you'll learn more without the price tag over your head.

If I was in your shoes, I would not hesitate to drive what I have.

Have fun.

Ok folks, the premium quote is PER ANNUM. It covers HPDEs only, not autocross. You can have multiple drivers listed on the policy @$10 for each additional driver. This info is from Chris Maume, the rep at SnellingsWalters. I think this is good news for those of us/you more prone to worry about HPDE accidents. Take it for what it's worth!!!

... i'm "married" to this car financially and all my money is wrapped up in it. ...

That being the case, dont hesitate to use the car, just be mindful that things DO happen. I havnt seen anything beyond minor damage in HPDE. We are only giving you the alternate car advice because each of us has driven nice cars gently, and cheap cars hard. This is why you'll learn more without the price tag over your head.

If I was in your shoes, I would not hesitate to drive what I have.

Have fun.

Hey, thanks! I was looking for some affirmation here. If I had done things differently and stayed with my F150, I wouldn't even KNOW about HPDE. Now it's a matter of making what I have work to see if I even like it [of course I will] and then where to go from there [miata, 300z, older mustang, whatev!!] and a big diesel and a trailer and . . . . I'm getting ahead of myself as usual

Hopefully we'll see you at Summit Point June 23-24?

Be sure to hangout in the mustang pit area down near the tech shed.

See you at the track.

June 23-4. . . is that a mazdadrivers or a SVTOA event or who is putting it on? i have been checking the myautoevents website and don't remember that one. i'll check it out!!! hope to see you there.

NASA Mid-Atlantic.

Saturday includes Hyperfest with drifting, roll over, and other craziness.

Not to be missed.

sign up early. HPDE fills weeks in advance. Usually w/in the first few days of registration being open.