• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jon dawes

• Renntag

• getfast

• Renesisfury

i have been checking the myautoevents website and don't remember that one.

Myautoevents lists mostly autocrosses IIRC. For a better sampling of track events, check out:

http://www.trackschedule.com/sched.html

And of course the track websites directly:

http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com/ (click on "Motorsports Schedule")

http://www.virclub.com/vir/index.php?option=com_events&Itemid=51

I also have a combined season schedule on my site, including related events that various NASA-MA officials are helping with:

http://www.get-fast.net/calendar.html

Good times,

Jon

From my experience the few HPDE crashes result from driver error and not by another vehicle. That being said it could happen. But as long as you are driving within your means (Which you will knowing the consequences) Extra Insurance doesn't seem neccesary.

First Year: HPDE 1 Little chance of going off. Second Year: HPDE 2 Pushing the car a little more but still not much of a chance. Third and 4th Year HPDE 3 & 4 Now you are starting to feel invinceable and the chances you will take with the car will be greater. Now would be the time to insure!

BUt by skipping the first 2 years you save $2400.00 (the Same cost as a used '91 5.0 mustang beater) Buy the beater mustang or drive your car within your limits. By year 4 sell the beater mustang for $1200 and find a dedicated track car (your now 4 year old mustang) or look into a safe used race prepped car like a HC or a SM. (cheaper to buy than build)

Buy Beater car first year $2400

Sell Beater car year 4 $-1200

Buy Dedicated Race prep car year 4 $3500

Grand total $4700 and one dedicated racecar

or

Insurance Year 1 $1200

Insurance Year 2 $1200

Insurance Year 3 $1200

Insurance Year 4 $1200

Grand total $4800 and beat up daily driver

Just my opinion,

Sean

P.S. I started my HPDE with a brand new '91 mustang (daily Driver) then in 1996 went to a '96 BMW 328 (DD) and then to a '02 BMW 330 (DD) then shortly to a '76 Ferrari (not competitive and toooooooo expensive to repair) and then got smart after many sleepless nights and went to a dedicated Spec Miata that is cheaper than an engine rebuild in any of the other cars (minus the mustang) and a whole hell of alot more fun. Now I sleep well at night.

I'm going to talk to them about a policy. I expect to do 10 to 12 events per year and have State Farm now. They will probably pay for an accident but I don't know how much my rates would go up and I have several vehicle, boat, and umbrella policies with them. Looks like my premium is about 600 a year for a 20k car.

Here's my analysis:

1 year premium 600

Replacement cost of car 20,000

yearly maintenance $34.99

stickers 1 buck

duran duran t shirt 11.00

pez refills 2 dead benjis

blah blah blah dedicated track car

hpde 1 and 2 are safe and i promise i wont cxx in your mxxth

conclusion i just want to drive my new cool tricked out track m3 with a little risk management and learn as much as I can about safe and smooth driving

From my experience the few HPDE crashes result from driver error and not by another vehicle. That being said it could happen. But as long as you are driving within your means (Which you will knowing the consequences) Extra Insurance doesn't seem neccesary.

First Year: HPDE 1 Little chance of going off. Second Year: HPDE 2 Pushing the car a little more but still not much of a chance. Third and 4th Year HPDE 3 & 4 Now you are starting to feel invinceable and the chances you will take with the car will be greater. Now would be the time to insure!

BUt by skipping the first 2 years you save $2400.00 (the Same cost as a used '91 5.0 mustang beater) Buy the beater mustang or drive your car within your limits. By year 4 sell the beater mustang for $1200 and find a dedicated track car (your now 4 year old mustang) or look into a safe used race prepped car like a HC or a SM. (cheaper to buy than build)

Buy Beater car first year $2400

Sell Beater car year 4 $-1200

Buy Dedicated Race prep car year 4 $3500

Grand total $4700 and one dedicated racecar

or

Insurance Year 1 $1200

Insurance Year 2 $1200

Insurance Year 3 $1200

Insurance Year 4 $1200

Grand total $4800 and beat up daily driver

Just my opinion,

Sean

P.S. I started my HPDE with a brand new '91 mustang (daily Driver) then in 1996 went to a '96 BMW 328 (DD) and then to a '02 BMW 330 (DD) then shortly to a '76 Ferrari (not competitive and toooooooo expensive to repair) and then got smart after many sleepless nights and went to a dedicated Spec Miata that is cheaper than an engine rebuild in any of the other cars (minus the mustang) and a whole hell of alot more fun. Now I sleep well at night.

that sounds like pretty good advice. what are an HC [??] or an SM [spec miata?]

I'm going to talk to them about a policy. I expect to do 10 to 12 events per year and have State Farm now. They will probably pay for an accident but I don't know how much my rates would go up and I have several vehicle, boat, and umbrella policies with them. Looks like my premium is about 600 a year for a 20k car.

Here's my analysis:

1 year premium 600

Replacement cost of car 20,000

yearly maintenance $34.99

stickers 1 buck

duran duran t shirt 11.00

pez refills 2 dead benjis

blah blah blah dedicated track car

hpde 1 and 2 are safe and i promise i wont cxx in your mxxth

conclusion i just want to drive my new cool tricked out track m3 with a little risk management and learn as much as I can about safe and smooth driving

hey, now that's a novel analysis! but you're way off on the duran duran t-shirt. good luck finding one for less than $17.50!!!!

wait a minute!!! you're telling me to drive a high revving sake machine when you're driving a vette??? gotta start somewhere, right? and the honda's i've had have been pretty amazing, so. . .

stereotypical Virgina powerboater. always gotta prove somethin'

well, you got lucky THIS time, but NEXT time . . . my little sailboat will. . . will. . . will CUT your wake clean in half!!!!! so there!!!

hey, btw: what's CCD in ref to your F350???

ahhh yes. silly me! i had a 1995 F250 powerstroke and it was probably the best vehicle i've ever owned. amazing torque and just a beast. i love the 7.3 and would like to have another with the Banks six gun package and run it on bio diesel. . . someday.

is there anyone that knows if it is possible to have a policy with one of the big carriers that would cover this? I know a lot of them don't cover stuff on a racing surface....

i saw that we have one option, i am just looking for others

Some of the State Farm policies might not have the HPDE exclusion language in 'em yet (mine doesn't; others have reported opposite results.)

Jon

so if I was looking at a new policy, would it just be a crapshoot if it would have that in it or not?

Sadly, you actually have to read the policy.

that sucks.

With regards to what the OP had mentioned, is there a deductible along with the annual premium? I didn't see that mentioned anywhere

i think OP means other person? maybe that's me? either way, the deductible depends on the value of the car if i'm not mistaken. you can just go to http://www.snellingswalters.com under motorsport and use the calculator. it should tell you what it would be. i think it's 2-3 grand. so depending on the value of your car, it may make a difference one way or the other.

ah ha ha ha! great come back.

See the mustang guys always get a laugh.

I'll have to check what version I have...LOL.

Be sure to introduce your self at the next NASA MA event. You cant miss the Pony Corral in the paddock....just listen for the thunder.