• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jon dawes

• Renntag

• getfast

• Renesisfury

OP=original poster

Would that be like what this copy was made from?

(an Original Poster)

lmfingersbw.jpg

ok, what is Steve McQueen doing in that photo? I had a long argument about this with another person

ah, gute frage: maybe he's giving the Brit's equivalent of the finger? saying "2 tires over here, we got 2 flats"? waiting for a bird to land on his fingers?

i have to say i didn't know he died of a rare cancer caused by asbestos exposure. apparently he used an asbestos rag to cover his mouth when working on cars. . .

http://www.autosportsltd.com/featured_twofingers.php

"As the story goes, hundreds of years ago when the English and the French were doing battle, the unfortunate English longbowman who fell into the hands of the enemy often had the two fingers of his "string-pulling" hand loped off. Should he escape, this would prevent him from plying his trade as effectively. That was if he was lucky. He often lost more than two fingers. Sometimes all five, or a hand, and often his head.

The English longbowmen would taunt the French by raising the two fingers across the lines to show they still had them. Through the years this gesture has remained a very English expression. In the last scene of Le Mans shown above, Steve McQueen, as Michael Delaney, salutes Ferrari driver Erich Stahler, played by Siegfried Rauch."

Thanks Jon. but for some reason I thought that gesture was signifying "2" meaning the second championship or second year. I have the movie on DVD and VHS and have watched it many times....everytime someone visiting asks about steve mcqueen or similar.

You guys have GOT to get up to speed on your historical racing films. The other one is Gran Prix. Did you guys know that James Garner did all of his own driving and turned faster lap times than some of the professional GP drivers at the time? Lots of interesting history around these films.

Thanks Jon. but for some reason I thought that gesture was signifying "2" meaning the second championship or second year. I have the movie on DVD and VHS and have watched it many times....everytime someone visiting asks about steve mcqueen or similar.

You guys have GOT to get up to speed on your historical racing films. The other one is Gran Prix. Did you guys know that James Garner did all of his own driving and turned faster lap times than some of the professional GP drivers at the time? Lots of interesting history around these films.

personally I just love hearing those old DFV's at speed. What a howl!!

• 2 weeks later...

well i finally got the language in my current GEICO insurance policy:

EXCLUSIONS

Section III [physical damage] does not apply "to any loss caused by participation in or preparing for, whether or not prearranged or organized, any racing, speed or

demolition contest or stunting activity of any nature."

i'm thinking that since hpde is not a speed contest nor is it racing, they'd be obliged to cover me should the worst happen.

anybody wanna chime in [again]?

I would be worried about the "preparing for" wording because HPDE could technically be considered preparation for racing, given that it does teach some high performance driving principles used in racing.

It could also technically be considered a "speed contest" because you will most definitely exceed legal highway speeds, and there are no speed limits on road courses during HPDE (unless your instructor sets one.)

IMHO, YMMV, I'm neither an expert nor an attorney, etc...

Jon

(still happy that his State Farm policy has no such nonsense)

That sounds pretty much like the old exclusion language from most policies. HPDE is absolutely NOT a speed/time contest - no times are taken. Last year a group attending HPDE during HyperFest had been discussing their own private lap time competition on the internet before the event. When the NASA officials got wind of it they had a talk with the folks involved and made it clear that such contests are strictly verboten in HPDE. I suspect NASA's own event policy would be effected by such activity.

HPDE is also not "preparation for racing". Most of the hundreds of students I've instructed at various events over the years have no plans to make the significant jump to racing, and even fewer ever actually do it. If that weren't so, AI would require qualifying heats to make it into the "main feature race" - instead of struggling to top 5 cars per event. I believe the "preparing for" wording is intended to extend the exclusion to race/TT practice and other track sessions that require a race license.

Just remember that "participating in" includes driving in a session where others are competing (like TT'ers), even if you aren't. The newer policy wording, such as what Allstate went to a few years ago here in PA, excludes driving on "any facility designed for such" (referring to racing). I recall thinking that the exact wording of the new exclusion language, taken literally, would exclude all insurance coverage the moment I drive any vehicle through the front gate of the track. Perhaps they only meant to include the paddock area as well as the track, but I hope I never find out.

That sounds pretty much like the old exclusion language from most policies.

Frank: i could take that first sentence two ways

1) sounds like the good ole exclusion language. . .yer screwed!

2) sounds like the OLD exclusion language rather than the NEW exclusion language, yer maybe not screwed!

I think from the context i think you're saying #2.

thanks Frank!!!

I think the second you apply for a claim, they will tell you its not covered. I would find a good insurance lawyer and have them take a look at it. Most of the time they are vague for a reason

Hey Frank I don't disagree with you - I was playing "devils advocate" with my post, trying to think worst-case-scenario. We all know that HPDE is not racing at all, not even close... but that doesn't mean it will be so well understood by an insurance company.

I guess my point is that whether an HPDE incident is covered or not, the owner/driver should expect that it isn't. So then an unfortunate reality is not as much of a shock, and a check in the mail is an added bonus.

Here's to hoping that none of us ever has to deal with this,

Jon

the other problems i have with the beater route are:

1) keeping it somewhere. i have a hard enough time finding parking in DC for my current car

2) to and from event driving reliability

3) trailer and trailer storage

4) truck

now eventually i'd like to have a dedicated track car, a trailer, and a diesel Excursion. . . AND a house with a garage and a yard to store it all. it'll be a little while. . .

that leaves me driving what i've got which is just fine. i'll either run the risk of them dropping me and call GEICO or just get the supplemental coverage. it's cheaper for me considering the trouble i'd have storing a track car and it's accoutrements. just GET ME ON THE TRACK. Jon I'll be lookin' for you at Summit Point in the near future.