New here, a few questions, and saying hello!

bossesjoe

Howdy everyone, just stopping in to say hello and ask a few questions.

As in introduction, my name is Phil and I currently own a 1984 Corvette that is stripped to the frame and is becoming a dedicated track racer after I build myself a lighter aluminum engine. On the list of future projects that I'm going to try to snatch up are a track Mustang 5.0, Porsche 944 (951 or S2), a Miata, and a couple of more recent Corvettes.

So here are the questions for you guys.

1) I want to race. My car can be track legal with some work, but what do I need to get there? What do I need personally? Assuming I wanted to start out small, like doing time trials (nothing small about time trials, but you know what I mean). The car is getting a roll cage, required or not so that's already on the list. Do I need a license? I have some track experience, but am I ready as a driver?

2) I know there has to be some 944 guys here, and I'm excited. Any advice on building a track 944? It's the next car I want to buy if I can find a decent one because I'm absolutely obsessed with this car. 944S2? 951?

3) Any other advice for an-up-and-coming, young driver just getting into the sport?

before you drop any $ at all on a cage, read the rulebook's requirements. iirc you have to use .095" wall DOM mild steel, I can't remember if they've banned chromoly yet or not. Again, read the rulebook's exact requirements and follow them. It might not be required, but if you have it, it has to fit the rules. don't forget to make the instructor's side of the car just as safe while you're at it

I'd plan on doing some HPDE to get used to the car and tracks, and once you've done DE3 for a while you could be ready for Time Trials

be sure to check out the 944 Cup section for advice on those cars, Its a fairly popular class so if you prepare the car under their rules, you should have some great competition (or at least a large basis to compare laptimes if you're doing TT)

Howdy everyone, just stopping in to say hello and ask a few questions.

Back at ya and welcome !

... I'm going to try to snatch up are a track Mustang 5.0, Porsche 944 (951 or S2), a Miata, and a couple of more recent Corvettes.

There are plenty at the track to take a look at as far as build ideas. Both are affordable track toys.

1) I want to race. My car can be track legal with some work, but what do I need to get there? What do I need personally?

Answering that question in detail will not do you any long term benefit. It is imperative that you read the CCR several times. All of the answers you seek are in writing. We are all responsible for knowing these rules. If you plan to get a comp license, you will need to know these rules. Might as well print them out and read.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf

... Do I need a license? I have some track experience, but am I ready as a driver?
I am not sure what you are asking. You will need a state issued driver's license to participate in HPDE. Most drivers are ready for HPDE1 .

2) I know there has to be some 944 guys here, and I'm excited. Any advice on building a track 944? It's the next car I want to buy if I can find a decent one because I'm absolutely obsessed with this car. 944S2? 951?

Speak with Dave Derecola he is the director.

Check out http://www.44cup.com/

3) Any other advice for an-up-and-coming, young driver just getting into the sport?

Start off with a low hp car and learn to drive it fast.

Remember: Register early, and register often!

Seat time is what you seek.

before you drop any $ at all on a cage, read the rulebook's requirements. iirc you have to use .095" wall DOM mild steel, I can't remember if they've banned chromoly yet or not. Again, read the rulebook's exact requirements and follow them. It might not be required, but if you have it, it has to fit the rules. don't forget to make the instructor's side of the car just as safe while you're at it

I'd plan on doing some HPDE to get used to the car and tracks, and once you've done DE3 for a while you could be ready for Time Trials

be sure to check out the 944 Cup section for advice on those cars, Its a fairly popular class so if you prepare the car under their rules, you should have some great competition (or at least a large basis to compare laptimes if you're doing TT)

Thank you for the reply, and before I spend any money I will be sure to make sure that I am spending it on parts that fall within regulation. That is a very good point to keep in mind, but I have another question. Are passenger seats required because you will need to seat an instructor at some point, or is that only if you are paying for lessons?

I definetally hope to be ready for some real time trails soon, in fact a friend is doing NASA time trials at Mid Ohio coming up later this year and I think it would be real neat to try and give him a run for his money.

Back at ya and welcome !
Thank you very much for the warm welcome.

There are plenty at the track to take a look at as far as build ideas. Both are affordable track toys.
Thank you, I hope to have a garage filled with toys at some point in the future but that's after I find a way to pay for graduate school, until then I have to make do with buying bargin sports cars and fixing them so they run.

Answering that question in detail will not do you any long term benefit. It is imperative that you read the CCR several times. All of the answers you seek are in writing. We are all responsible for knowing these rules. If you plan to get a comp license, you will need to know these rules. Might as well print them out and read.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf

Thank you for the link to the rule book. That is the first time that I have seen that but I spent a good deal of time reading it and studying it, the most helpful document so far.

I am not sure what you are asking. You will need a state issued driver's license to participate in HPDE. Most drivers are ready for HPDE1 .
Well I most definitely have a driver's licence in good standing and amazing enough my record is also blank. I'm not familiar with the term HPDE1 but I was specifically asking if I needed a certain number of logged hours on the track or completed courses to attempt to qualify for a racing licence, if I even need it.

Speak with Dave Derecola he is the director.

Check out http://www.44cup.com/

Thank you, I've had a crush on the 944 ever since I became familiar with the car, but even as cheap as they are running I still have yet to find one that I could purchase at the time. Hopefully I will acquire one or two for the future to make a fun track car with.

Start off with a low hp car and learn to drive it fast.

Remember: Register early, and register often!

Seat time is what you seek.

Thank you, I appreciate the wonderful reply and I will try to take the good lessons to heart.

As for a low horsepower car I should ask you what would be a good range to start with. From my time as a mechanic I had a LS6 crate engine swap planned for the car, which with a harness and Richmond six speed is the most efficient way to create a reliable engine that would be decent for racing. That's still a good four hundred horsepower at the hands of a new guy, in a car that was pretty potent with half that. I still have the old block sitting out but it definitely needs some work and financially I most likely would be best off going with a newer engine though. Still, if the better choice for me is rebuilding the older engine (L83, Crossfire intake, 350ci) then I can't argue with what's best for my safely.

Edit: Just wondering, does anyone know of any good sites to buy racing gear such as harnesses, seats, gloves, shoes, suits, fluids, lights, gauges, etc, etc?

Thanks a million guys, you are making breaking into this hobby much easier for me.

HPDE = High Performance Driving Event

In the NASA program you start at level 1 then work your way up. After gaining experience passing in the corners you can then apply to the regional director to be evaluated for a comp. license.

I definetally hope to be ready for some real time trails soon, in fact a friend is doing NASA time trials at Mid Ohio coming up later this year and I think it would be real neat to try and give him a run for his money.

Here is the HPDE progression in Mid-Atlantic:

http://www.nasaracing.net/hpde.htm

A TT license requires at least ~4 weekends in HPDE3 plus a ridealong from a director. Then you've gotta do 5 TT's (2.5 weekends) to qualify for the nationals at Mid-Ohio. Plan to give your friend a run for his money in '08, and start coming to as many events as you can in the meantime!

Hope it helps,

Jon