HPDE 1

Norton 828

Do you have to have a passenger seat in HPDE 1 and HPDE 2? Some schools have a lead/follow system with the instructor following behind the student. Does NASA do this?

Different Regions slightly different rules I guess, but in the SE DE2 still has an instructor with them most of the time. At the instructors discretion they can go solo, but mostly it is just a somewhat faster group.

Am I mistaken then, in the HPDE 2 is a 'novice' student who has been solo cleared?
You can SOLO in the MA region in HPDE2 but not usually. A review with the chief of instruction/chief instructor is needed for solo approval.

In HPDE 1 and 2 you have to have an instructor in the car with you, so you do have to have a passenger seat.

While this is ideal, I've seen a guy drive in HPDE1/2 with a single seat baby grand race car. He requested and received lead-follow sessions with an instructor so it worked out OK. Still, I think it's better to have an instructor in the car with you.

In HPDE 1 and 2 you have to have an instructor in the car with you, so you do have to have a passenger seat.

While this is ideal, I've seen a guy drive in HPDE1/2 with a single seat baby grand race car. He requested and received lead-follow sessions with an instructor so it worked out OK. Still, I think it's better to have an instructor in the car with you.

This is also true....For example Entropy Racing rents Renault Spec Racers and sometimes students rent so they do a lead follow thing but if it is simply a door slammer without a second seat, it would be wise to get a seat.