if you had $3k, which starter HPDE would you buy?

jon dawes

Since you're a "Mustang" guy, I say snatch up an old Fox Mustang. That way you just need to add safety equipment when you're ready for CMC. There were 2 top TX region CMC Mustangs (both just freshened with legal-for-2007 Cobra motors) advertised on this forum just this week that went fast. The first ('05-'06 champion) was $6.5k with a trailer, the 2nd was $5k.

If you're going to CMP, you've got to check out the CMC/AI/FFR activities each night in the paddock.

thanks! but let's see here,

CMC is camaro mustang challenge

TX is Texas [ha ha]

CMP = ?

AI = American Iron

FFR = ?

thanks for the handholding of the noob!!

CMP = Carolina Motorsports Park

FFR = Factory Five Racing - arguably the best Cobra replica kit manufacturer if you want to actually drive the crap out of the finished product. Title sponsor of the Factory Five Racing Challenge Series.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jon dawes

• Renntag

• markseven

• getfast

Renntag: sorry for the de javu. . . i do always look around for answers and they're not always readily apparent from the titles of the threads. and yes: DRIVE. my father tells me all the time "the cheapest car is the one you have". . . true or not, i'm thinking i'll stick with what i've got because a beater means a trailer and a truck to pull it and licenses and blah blah blah. . . .

I drive HPDE car is my Daily Driver is my Beater! I drive it to and from the track (170 miles each way to Buttonwillow) and since I'm in RG 2, I'm on street tires. If and when I reach RG 3 or 4, I may consider a little tire trailer.

may i ask what you are running?

Mark drives a nice little red E30 BMW.

In fact, I'm looking for one myself. They make nice track cars.

+ 1 for the E30 BMW... I may be biased, but these things are bullitproof.. they really are robust engines.. I've got 250k on mine, and i just rebuilt the head, new timing belt, etc...... parts are not too bad either...

http://www.bmaparts.com

http://www.rockauto.com

http://www.pelicanparts.com

I got all my parts from those companies above, saved $100's.... I picked up my 90 325iS for dirt (1100 bux) and have spent less than 3k to make it a good competitive car..It's also my daily beater and I love driving this thing everyday.

Otherwise, if you can fit into a Miata.. you won't be disappointed.. they are a little underpowered compared to what you're used too, but the driveline, handling of that car is unlike anything else i've ever driven..

Consider the 944 as well.. My next big car will def be a Porsche.. it's time!

Anyway, all these cars are reliable and competitive...Hope this helps you a little.. or anyone else that reads this thread...

The E30 325iX aren't legal for spec E30, thus their value as a track car is somewhat diminished. Also, I seem to recall that the AWD stuff is a little complex and might not be the easiest to get parts for. There are a few things that I seem to remember being iX specific, like wheels.

But, I think the strongest argument against the E30 325iX as a track car has to do with legality in Spec E30.

do you guys shy away from the X ...?

nah...

XXXXXXX xxxxxxxx XXXXXX xx xX x xX xx X x x x xxxxXXXX

Not shy here.

The 325iX transfer cases are VERY spendy to replace given the age and value of these cars. The front suspension and subframe, the oil pan and some other parts are iX specific. Most of the iX specific parts are much more expensive and many are dealer only items.

To my knowledge, there has not been much development of iX cars for track use. You'll find some rally drivers out there who have/had them, but not too many road course drivers.

Find a 325is or a 325i that has a Limited Slip Diff in it and you are good to go.

Mark drives a nice little red E30 BMW.

In fact, I'm looking for one myself. They make nice track cars.

Hi Mike! WSIR this weekend? I'll be there on Sunday.

do you guys shy away from the X ...?

nah...

XXXXXXX xxxxxxxx XXXXXX xx xX x xX xx X x x x xxxxXXXX

Not shy here.

ha ha ha. . . thanks for the chuckle. i'll X that one off my list then.

She's an 87 325is. Inexpensive to repair and maintain, relatively good fuel consumption, low insurance premuims, and a heck of an awseome platform. H&R's a nd Billys make her handle really well but are compliant enough to drive on a daily basis; the wife doesn't complain about the ride quality, and that says a lot

c.jpg

a.jpg

h.jpg

Your car looks great, Mark! I hope to be back on the track soon with my 'stang. Too busy at work these days. Aaaargh!

Mike

Your car looks great, Mark! I hope to be back on the track soon with my 'stang. Too busy at work these days. Aaaargh!

Mike

Thanks for the kind words about my car, Mike but she's a 10 footer - the paint doesn't look that great in person, but the performance is there.

• 4 weeks later...

This topic hits home. I'm so torn what to do atm. I have an 04 350Z track which I've done some modding to. I've started tracking her over the past few months. I've caught the bug. It's my daily driver and I still owe a fair amount on the loan. With that said, I've been scouting 88-90 325is's in the 3k range as a project/track car. I figure I'll be throwing down another 3-4k in upgrades/maintenance for that if I find one. I'm ok with that, but then I think, well shite I could put that 8k towards further performance work on the Z and paying down the loan...the caveat is the fact it's my daily driver. Do I go for the exclusive bmw track car to save the Z? Do I throw caution to the wind and proceed to work on the Z? I am literally 50/50 on this. Would be interesting to hear feedback on this.

This topic hits home. I'm so torn what to do atm. I have an 04 350Z track which I've done some modding to. I've started tracking her over the past few months. I've caught the bug. It's my daily driver and I still owe a fair amount on the loan. With that said, I've been scouting 88-90 325is's in the 3k range as a project/track car. I figure I'll be throwing down another 3-4k in upgrades/maintenance for that if I find one. I'm ok with that, but then I think, well shoo-shiddily-diddily I could put that 8k towards further performance work on the Z and paying down the loan...the caveat is the fact it's my daily driver. Do I go for the exclusive bmw track car to save the Z? Do I throw caution to the wind and proceed to work on the Z? I am literally 50/50 on this. Would be interesting to hear feedback on this.

if you dont have another car it would be foolish to the extreme to have a modded track car be your daily driver, all you would have to do is stuff it into a wall or blow the engine, then you are really up the creek

Well if I stuff the Z then it's a track car by default . I buy a used SUV and continue paying down the Z (which I'd be upside down on at this point)...ripping her insides out in anger and installing a 6 point rollcage.

In all honesty, if I do go the route of a "designated track car", I'd probably sell the Z for an SUV. It doesn't make much sense to have both (plus the fact the 350 only has 23k on it and I'm the original owner).

A 944 is great track car. They can be had cheap and you can come racing with us when you are ready.

I can probably find 2-3 turn key race 944 race cars for under 8k. Sure more than the 3-4k, but these are logbook race cars.

I will be out at Firebird East Saturday Morning. Drop by.

As for the fun. Well it is very liberating experience to not have to worry one bit about cosmetic damage to your track car. In 1999 I started DE in my 88 944 Turbo. It was my special street car at the time and while I enjoyed it on the track I worried about damaging it. So I kept the car for the street and picked up 1200 84 944 non Turbo. I stripped out fixed it up and had more fun than I could imagine. My best time at PIR in my 250 hp 944 Turbo was 1:19. First time out in my 150 hp 944, stripped with Victoracers was an easy 1:20. I year later I was turning 1:16's with light race prep. Now I in the 1:13 range with the same set-up. It is ALOT more fun driving this car. Nice thing is I over years it has been in a couple minor racing incidents resulting a little sheet metal issues. No big deal on track car as a little bondo and paint works wonders. Road rash? Yep really bad too, but who cares. I painted it once at home and I can do it again.

If you are really hit hard by the bug a dedicated track car that you can drive off a cliff and walk away from is really important. It makes the track much more fun and relaxing.

Hey Joe, Thanks for the response. I appreciate it. I was meaning to introduce myself to you back on the 19th, unfortunately I was busy on track or in DE download for much of the day/night. I'm 50/50 on Sat atm. As for 944spec, you guys have a ton of fun out there from what I've seen. Unfortunately I'm a DE2 n00b and have much more learning ahead of me before I can join in! With that said, I'm not looking for a bonafide racecar atm. The E30's are appealing to me for a number of reasons...a) the price b) upgrade costs and c)labor on motor work (I don't do internal stuff). I figure (loosely) I can find a fairly decent 88-91 for around 3k and then put another 2 in to make it track-worthy. Again, it won't be for TA/TT...just for peace of mind . My goal is to have something other than the Z for PIR in Sept. Cheers!

No problem,

Hey in 2000 my 944 started out for just that purpose. By 2002 it was full up race car and I never looked back. If you want to know what the transition from DE car to race car is like talk to Steve Marlow, Yellow #74. Last September I instructed him in DE1 at PIR in his 944 Turbo. He had done a few DE's in the mid west and was just looking to do some DE type track time. Well I took him for a spin my 944 and even on old tires he had a blast. Next thing I know he is looking for 944 NA spec car. Picked up one by november and was racing by April.

He can tell you all about his transition. Hope too see you out there.

Ok, help me out here. I've been following this thread for a while and I'm having a hard time finding used race cars for sale (at least on the web) for anywhere near 3k. I've specifically been searching for cars mentioned in this thread. Any thoughts?

Ok, help me out here. I've been following this thread for a while and I'm having a hard time finding used race cars for sale (at least on the web) for anywhere near 3k. I've specifically been searching for cars mentioned in this thread. Any thoughts?

A racecar for $3K? Good luck. Your best bet is a first gen RX-7 setup for racing in a Pro7 or SRX-7 or similar series. Try http://www.sccaforums.com and http://www.improvedtouring.com for examples. They are cheap and annoyingly loud but, hey, its a race car.

Of course, ANY car that cheap would probably need some work and money dumped into it to make it safe and track-ready.

Any used race car would mostly be more than 3k. You can get donor cars that can be bult in to race cars for that or less, but once you take a car with motor, put in cage and make it drive (even poorly) they go for more than 3k. You can also buy a donor car and just drive it in HPDE in a repaired, but mostly stock form. You can do that for 3k if you can wrench and find a good cheap car to start with. A few year ago I got an 83 944 locally for $1200. $500 worth parts, $400 for tires, my own time wrenching and I had a really nice autocross car. I could have taken the car to HPDE, but I already had a car for that.

If you look at cars under 10k you will fine ALOT of complete ready to go race cars. Some may or may not be competitive and others can win straight out of the box.

if we rewind to the original question, it was which car for HPDE for $3k, not for racing, at least not to begin with. i guess i was thinking buy the car near-stock for three grand and go from there with cage, tires, suspension, etc. at SOME point in the future once i realized going fast in that particular car was for me [e30, camaro, mustang, miata, ???]. marketplace.grassrootsmotorsports.com recently had a 70s toyota corolla race car for under three grand.