jon dawes

if you had $3k, which starter HPDE would you buy?

Secret_Agent
if we rewind to the original question, it was which car for HPDE for $3k, not for racing, at least not to begin with. i guess i was thinking buy the car near-stock for three grand and go from there with cage, tires, suspension, etc. at SOME point in the future once i realized going fast in that particular car was for me [e30, camaro, mustang, miata, ???]. marketplace.grassrootsmotorsports.com recently had a 70s toyota corolla race car for under three grand.

That's why I chimed in...looking for something similar, however I've been hard pressed to find an "out of the box" dedicated HPDE car for 3k. If it doesn't need anything at purchase, it sure as hell will after your first track outing (basics like halfway decent tires, brakepads, rotors, fluids). Like it or not it will become somewhat of a project car. I'm figuring in another 2k after I find my $2500 dream e30. With that said, I wrench about as proficient as a blind elephant on ice skates....so I'll add in another 1000 for possible internal motor work. Even with all that added up, it's still a hell of a lot cheaper than me punting my Z...AND I'll be learning along the way.

PS, you really don't want a corolla race car for under 3k.

jon dawes

"PS, you really don't want a corolla race car for under 3k"

you are certainly correct there! mostly because it's just not my style, not because of anything inherently wrong with that type of car. i just really like mustangs.

blind elephant on ice skates! that's awesome. thanks for the morning chuckle i needed it!

RodeoFlyer

Northy!!!!!!

shame on you for speaking to dirty rotten BMW drivers

RodeoFlyer

AND GET RID OF THOSE DAMNED 20's!

jon dawes

i know, i know, they're HUGE. i'm just waiting until next year to get a better setup. trying to "learn on what i've got" and all that. driver, tires, suspension, car or something like that, right? right now i'm just trying to keep the damn car from spinning out due to the obesity of my right foot and its tendency to mash the loud pedal. i had a nice, but wasteful, 360 spinout at the autocross this weekend.

ps: posted a reply to your message over on mustangforums.com. please help me understand what you were talking about over there.

jon dawes

well Rodeo, the 20s are GONE! ship out tomorrow. . . and i just need to drive up to Frederick, MD, to pick up my TRACK CAR: a 95 Mustang GT!

so that's what i bought for around three grand and i'm so excited to get on track i just don't know what to do with myself WOOOOHOOOOOO

trackcar.driverside.jpg

trackcar.interior.jpg

trackcarmotor.jpg

http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s181/northy_polk/The%20Dawes%20Track%20Car/?action=view&current=2e7dc1eb.pbw

Gonz

nice. Looks like a good buy for $3K.

Gonz.

Gonz

Here's mine

Just picked it up last Sunday. 1995 GT.

Mustang95GT_012.jpg

Mustang95GT_013.jpg

Will try to get it out for OCT 13 at Summit. That's probably going to mean running on the very ordinary tires it came with.

I've got my brother looking for one now also. So we can both park our WRX's and have a dedicated weekend/HPDE car.

Edited by Guest

Gonz
well Rodeo, the 20s are GONE! ship out tomorrow. . . and i just need to drive up to Frederick, MD, to pick up my TRACK CAR: a 95 Mustang GT!

so that's what i bought for around three grand and i'm so excited to get on track i just don't know what to do with myself WOOOOHOOOOOO

Let's see if I have this straight: you are selling the car seen above, on Craigslist : http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/car/412835261.html

?

and your "going another route " refers to a 94 GT ?? or you have something completely different.

what's wrong with the 95 (beside having the emissions tampered with). I might know somebody looking for a car.

Gonz.

jon dawes

MAN nothing's secret these days is it

you are very perceptive. deliberations with my girlfriend are in full-swing re: MONEY. we're working on a compromise so that i can do what i love and still have money for doing the things she loves, too [like traveling]. i may just pay down the red car enough to insure it for HPDE through Prosure.net or something similar. i still believe that a dedicated track car is the way to go, but i may have to compromise to keep everyone [myself included] happy.

NICE CAR!!!! almost exactly like mine aside from color! we may just have to chat as we prepare these ponys for the track!!!! how many miles on yours? stock? does the stock temp gauge read HOT HOT HOT like mine?

jon dawes

what's wrong with the 95 (beside having the emissions tampered with). I might know somebody looking for a car.

Gonz.

oops, forgot to answer these. the known [springfield motorsport assessment] issues are that the struts need to be tightened at the spindle [the struts may be from a foxbody and therefore spacers are needed], inner tie rod replaced, spark plug wire harnesses replaced to keep them off the manifolds, exhaust hangers replaced/added, and the upper strut bushings are shot.

i have only driven the car a handful of times, but it also has some sort of fuel starvation/sputtering problem when going up or down hill. fuel pump, fuel filter, gremlin getting stuck in there, ???? i'm not sure. but when it's opened up and on the freeway it GOES!!!! wheeeeee.....

so far, i've ripped out all the front fender linings and the weather stripping at the rear of the hood for air circulation [and created an air deflector out of them cause mine was missing], cleaned the steering wheel leather of years of gook, replaced the ignition coil, and attempted to replace the hubs with no success [although they may be just fine since i now know the tie rod are what's bad]

beerkat
compromise so that i can do what i love and still have money for doing the things she loves, too [like traveling]. ?

You mean she does not consider going to NASA events as traveling.

white_2kgt
deliberations with my girlfriend are in full-swing re: MONEY. we're working on a compromise so that i can do what i love and still have money for doing the things she loves, too [like traveling]. i

damn, she's still the 'girlfriend' yet she controls the purse strings, just imagine what will happen when she becomes the 'wife'. sell the red car and get a minivan...

jon dawes

hey, there are some fast mini vans out there! this isn't prehistoric Monolithia, so i can't just club her over the head and tell her the way it's gonna be [without doing some time if i get caught]. i'm willing to compromise [TO A POINT] to keep the peace. i'm sure other people may do differently [and i've spoken to some who got rid of the girlfriend cause she got in the way]. the compromise could be that i still do whatever i want but just make sure when it comes time to buy the plane tickets that i have enough left for that. fine. i can handle that.

[and I COULD be mistaken, but Chad I think I have more seat time than YOU do this year, albeit much slower seat time ]

jon dawes
compromise so that i can do what i love and still have money for doing the things she loves, too [like traveling]. ?

You mean she does not consider going to NASA events as traveling.

i'm working on that. shes' interested in watkins glen, somewheres in canadia, lime rock [thank god it's close to her parent's house and her dad's company sponsors a formula ford there! hopefully there's a CMC sponsorship in his future], etc.

Renntag

Dawes ! WTF over? You got a decent track car and now you are selling it because your girlfriend wants you to? Am I reading this correctly? I ended a few relationships in the past because girlfriends and even a fiance' wanted me to give up my track life.

It wasnt going to happen.

I married a woman that embraces my hobby. I give her what ever she wants in return.

Dont sell the car man. Its cheap transpo for the short term.

Do you still have it? I have someone looking for an SN95 with a box full of benjamins if you are truly going to bend over and give it away.

... watkins glen, somewheres in canadia, ...

Ah........Um..........The Glenn is in the Wine Country of central NY. Right at the base of Cayuga Lake. It is beautiful country. The Glenn used to be my home track. The track in Canada that many speak of is Mosport. It is just over the border and is a well respected track like the Glenn.

jon dawes
Dawes ! WTF over?

no way guys: the red car would be my track car for the moment.

You got a decent track car and now you are selling it because your girlfriend wants you to? Am I reading this correctly? I ended a few relationships in the past because girlfriends and even a fiance' wanted me to give up my track life.

i know you did. you were the one i was referring to earlier.

It wasnt going to happen.

I married a woman that embraces my hobby. I give her what ever she wants in return.

sounds like a compromise to me! that's what i'm working on.

Dont sell the car man. Its cheap transpo for the short term.

Do you still have it? I have someone looking for an SN95 with a box full of benjamins.

yup, still got it. i put it up for sale sort of speciously, sort of seriously. part of me just wants to use the red car as a track car and buy a prepped car if/when the time comes. as much as i think i'd like certain things about wrenching on the car, i'm not very good at it if i'm honest with myself. the desire's there, but time is lacking. i live in the city [at least for the next year]. don't even have a yard, much less a garage to work in. maybe it would be different if it weren't such a huge freakin production every time i wanted to do a project on the car.

i'm still figuring out the contours of this track day stuff and how it's gonna fit into my life [or how i'm gonna work my life around track days ]. god bless you guys who just get the car, work on it, drive it, and tell the significant other how it's gonna be! i tend to overanalyze things and i'm not gonna change any time soon.

white_2kgt
[and I COULD be mistaken, but Chad I think I have more seat time than YOU do this year, albeit much slower seat time ]

Yea but that's got nothing to do with the wife telling me I can't. We settled that a long time ago, it's much easier if you are up front and clear about what's going to happen or else track life will be hell.

jon dawes

... watkins glen, somewheres in canadia, ...

Ah........Um..........The Glenn is in the Wine Country of central NY. Right at the base of Cayuga Lake. It is beautiful country. The Glenn used to be my home track. The track in Canada that many speak of is Mosport. It is just over the border and is a well respected track like the Glenn.

yeah, i know where it is. i was just making a list of places she's expressed interest in that's all, "somwheres in canadia" being the second in the list of three. . .

jon dawes

. . . but that's got nothing to do with the wife telling me I can't. We settled that a long time ago, it's much easier if you are up front and clear about what's going to happen or else track life will be hell.

i have no doubt that you are absolutely correct. i'm just working on the 'up front and clear about what's going to happen' part, that's all.

and after all, let's face it guys, she knows what a bad mo-fo i am and she'll do what i say no matter what anyways, right?

NorrFam

Hey Jon

If you dont get engaged thats another $3500 +/- to put into the car.

Actually, compromise and sharing is the way to go. Im not big on Baroque music but my bride is a musician and loves the stuff so in the winter I sleep through concerts and lug her stuff around. Come drive time, she camps in 30* at Road Atlanta and and 99* at VIR and racks up more "Good Wife points" to use three times over.

Its all good man.

Paul

jon dawes

thanks for the vote of confidence. i was engaged before and will just recycle the ring

fortunately i like to travel as well so i won't argue with that.

Frank Corkran
i was engaged before and will just recycle the ring

You better hope she NEVER finds this post!

jon dawes

hahahahaaa..... i don't say anything here she doesn't already know [or expect me to say].

Renntag

oh yeah, bad mo-fo fer sure dude.