if you had $3k, which starter HPDE would you buy?

jon dawes

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jon dawes

• Renntag

• markseven

• getfast

Looks like I opened a can of worms

there's another possibility. Sell the 2005 (2006?) Mustang and buy a 10 year old Japanese something to commute in.

You'll get rid of the car payments on the new Mustang, the high insurance, the worry about where to park it, and still get to keep your "fun car" (94 GT) for the track and weekends.

And most importantly you don't have to risk your new car on track.

Just a thought.

Looks like I opened a can of worms

there's another possibility. Sell the 2005 (2006?) Mustang and buy a 10 year old Japanese something to commute in.

You'll get rid of the car payments on the new Mustang, the high insurance, the worry about where to park it, and still get to keep your "fun car" (94 GT) for the track and weekends.

And most importantly you don't have to risk your new car on track.

Just a thought.

it's alright. i have a tendency to open myself up for criticism without realizing it. believe me, every permutation has been taken into consideration and i'm stuck with the red car [which is ok] for a while. but i do appreciate the suggestion!

All BS aside. I can understand not having the skill or patience to work on the car. Not having a place to tinker with it as needed is also a hindrance. Not wanting to pay someone else to do all of this then would be a good reason to let go until your situation is better.

Drive the new car like you stole it. you'll have fun and learn alot in the process.

well, call me Mr. Yoyo, but I'm OFFICIALLY NOT selling the green car. I'm getting it registered next week and having the tie-rods fixed, so my intention is to have it at Summit Point for the October HPDE1. Gonz: wanna car-pool in case one of us breaks down? of course if we BOTH broke down, that would look pretty bad. two old mustang gts on the side of the road. . .

You should get your girlfriend interested in the sport. Have her come to one of the events and get an instructor to take her for a ride. I know that my wife has enjoyed going for rides on the track before. She do not want to drive but loves the people we meet. We may even get some kind of and RV for a tow vehicle so with can hang at the track over night and spend more time with our friends. I got her a new camera for her last birthday so she now takes lots of pictures.

You should get your girlfriend interested in the sport. Have her come to one of the events and get an instructor to take her for a ride. I know that my wife has enjoyed going for rides on the track before. She do not want to drive but loves the people we meet. We may even get some kind of and RV for a tow vehicle so with can hang at the track over night and spend more time with our friends. I got her a new camera for her last birthday so she now takes lots of pictures.

exactly. that's the plan. the catch is that she gets bad motion sickness unless she's behind the wheel. which is fine with me [that she's behind the wheel i mean]! i'd like for her to drive. we're going to try that at Summit in October [hyperdrive/touring laps if they're offered]. the camera's a great idea! she's been saying she wants a new one [although the cost of that is the bushings, tie rods, exhaust hangers, battery tie down, bump stops, etc for the track car...gotta compromise somewhere, right?!].

of course if we BOTH broke down, that would look pretty bad. two old mustang gts on the side of the road. . .

Pishtosh! You'd just be living up to the F.O.R.D. acronym.

of course if we BOTH broke down, that would look pretty bad. two old mustang gts on the side of the road. . .

Pishtosh! You'd just be living up to the F.O.R.D. acronym.

. . . and would that be the Found On Road Dead or Fixed Or Repaired Daily option nothing has that exhaust sound, though, so I'll deal with it!

. . . and would that be the Found On Road Dead or Fixed Or Repaired Daily option nothing has that exhaust sound, though, so I'll deal with it!

Exactly. And I can sympathize. My car is basically a Frankenford.

Exactly. And I can sympathize. My car is basically a Frankenford.

had to look up Frankenford. . . FFR. got it! #68 with the massive roll bars, although i think i'd go the same route if i had a Cobra! some poor sould rolled her rented cobra at VIR last week. . . thank God she was ok [physically at least]. .. and with some duct tape the car was back on track [unfortunately the story is that the red 911 that hit the tire wall near oak tree belonged to her significant other. . . not a good day for them!]. pics at fandsenterprises.com under the blue group on friday, i think.

LOL...if you found a site that associated Frankenford with FFR I gotta know about it! But, yeah, that's me.

I read about the VIR crash. Definitely a bummer but everyone walked away.

LOL...if you found a site that associated Frankenford with FFR I gotta know about it! But, yeah, that's me.

I read about the VIR crash. Definitely a bummer but everyone walked away.

sorta made that one up. . .but i get the frankenstein reference and it almost makes me want a Cobra hell, if i could just get the 94 GT to sound like a Cobra, i'd be one happy puppy. maybe some 'purple hornies' are in my future. . .

[the F.O.R.D. acronym.

you guys need to adjust that to First On Race Day.

Look at the Thunder group results.....

As for the cobra and the red Porsche that ran with Track Daze. I know both of those drivers and the car owners. They were all there together and are members of a car club I belong to. We all got together when they returned and got to see pictures. The Porsche was driven to the meeting.

Neither driver was hurt and both cars will live again.

The Red Porsche ran in The One Lap Of America this past May.

i'm just glad they were both ok and i was amazed to see that the little roll bar behind the driver's head actually does its job!

i keep looking at the thunder results only to see "Jevens" NOT in front. what's up with that? I see Lydic. . Morris. . but no Jevens. . .

[granted, of course, 'Dawes' isn't on ANY list. . .. yet ]

...i keep looking at the thunder results only to see "Jevens" NOT in front. what's up with that? I see Lydic. . Morris. . but no Jevens. . .

Thats Ok Jon. Lydic and Morris are on average 2 seconds faster than me. I am searching for the elusive 2 seconds. I try different lines, I try different set up with the car. This past weekend (aug) I tried not trying as hard !

I will get there. I cant forever be relegated to third. So far this season, third has been "first" for the rest of us. First place behind "The Kent and Mike Show".

Just get out there and drive and if you set your goals to earning a comp license and racing, it will happen its that easy.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm definitely Ford-biased, so I would definitely recommend a Fox 5.0L Mustang. Even used 1994-95 SN95 5.0L Mustangs can be bought for under $3000. But, I have reasons for my bias. There are tons of them out there, they are cheap (my old 1987 LX 5.0L automatic cop car was $1000, and all it needed was a radiator, starter, and headlight...and the AC threw snowballs...went 97 mph in the 1/4 with just an off-road H-pipe), and they are dirt cheap to fix. There is a ton of aftermarket support for them, and speed parts aren't expensive, either. Need a fender or a door? There are tons of 4-banger donor Mustangs in junkyards everywhere. Fiberglass hood? Everybody and their mother makes one. Gears, driveshafts, suspensions, exhaust, etc...there are millions of possible combinations.

Is a Mustang a perfect road course car? Absolutely not. It's based on a mid-1970s chassis design, but its intent, just like the Mustang itself, was to be a fun, affordable car. Is the Mustang a handful to drive? Damn straight it is...and that's what gives it its character.

But, be sure to pick a car that will let you "grow" into a competitive class. For example, if you start with a Mustang for HPDE, then it could easily evolve into a CMC or AI/AIX car without having to totally start over.

Mark

why the hell would you go and ruin a perfectly good 94 GT 5.0 on an 04 mod motor like that???

actually, since the first post, i bought a 94 gt and now it's gonna be the donor motor/trans for the CMC car i just bought [still finalizing details]!!!! can't wait to NOT have to build a racecar!!!! anybody need a crap-load of 160k mile used sn95 parts??? anyone??? beuler, beuler????

why the hell would you go and ruin a perfectly good 94 GT 5.0 on an 04 mod motor like that???

LOL It's actually pretty much a work of art under there. Everything was stripped off, engine compartment painted satin black, made my own Hydraboost lines, radiator hoses, cold air intake, fuel system, etc. That's why it took me a year and a half...I let my OCD run the project! It's the 5th engine combo that this car has had since I bought it 12+ years ago, although it's not the fastest.

Mark