Which High Temp Brake Fluid?

05 cayuse

The basic procedure:

- Suck the old fluid out of the reservoir, and fill with fresh

- Start with the caliper with the longest brake line from the master cylinder (MOST of the time this is the right rear, but on a Miata for example, it is the left rear, since the brake lines run down the passenger side of the car to the rear, then the left rear tees off at the RR caliper).

- Attach a bleeder bottle with a hose to the bleeder valve on the caliper

- Have someone hold pressure on the brake pedal while you open the bleeder valve on the caliper. Fluid comes out, you close the bleeder, then they pump the pedal again. DO NOT release the pedal until the valve is closed, or air will be drawn into the system.

- Do this until the color comes out clear, then move to the next closest caliper. Make your way around the car, making sure that the reservoir has sufficient fluid in it... DO NOT let the reservoir run dry!

- Once you've made your rounds, spray all the calipers with some brake cleaner and have your buddy stand on it while you make sure there are no leaks anywhere.

That's about it. I will usually tap the calipers lightly with a rubber mallet to shake loose any bubbles or other residual crap that might be trapped inside. Also, don't overtighten the bleeder screws... they're just little guys that don't take a lot of torque to seal.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I run valvoline synpower brake fluid. Its got a pretty high dry boiling point, its cheap, and its available at most auto parts stores.

Yeah, I had just picked up some of the Valvoline Syn. High temp., but now I'm wondering. It doesn't seem to get many, if any, nods. How come?

Valvoline Syn. has a dry boiling point of 500 degrees. ATE super blue or gold have a 600 degree boiling point. I am running the Valvoline for the first time. because I forgot to order any ATE. I think at Roebling Road it will be fine because there is not that much hard braking and I am not running race pads so I will not be generating real high temp.

I have used the Valvoline at DE events over the past three years - and in some pretty high temps. Never had a problem.

As for bleeding, Motive Products makes a great pressure bleeder that makes it a one man job.

I use Ford High performance brake fluid in my 2003 SVT Cobra and have done 6 HPDE so far with Russell stainless steel brake lines all around and Hawk HP Plus pads and original rear pads still are on car have used up front oem and 1/2 HT-10 and HP Plus are gone after last event. I keep fluid fresh by bleeding them alot, I added the the speed bleeders for this purpose and it makes bleeding pretty easy. I am constantly out braking people. I also have Toyo RA-1 so that helps get the braking done.