Bolt-In Roll Bar ok for Convertible at HDPE?

SaMxp

I'd like to use my 2001 BMW M3 Convertible in a few HPDE events, but need some clarification on the CCR section 11.4.7 for Roll Bars. Is a permanent roll bar necessary, or could I use a custom made removeable roll bar made to CCR spec that is securely bolted to the frame? If I were to install a permanent roll bar in the M3 Cabrio, I would pretty much permanently lose use of the back seat.

Thanks in advance!

`Bolt-in to CCR spec is a good thing. Who knows, maybe no one will ever sit back there again and you can weld it in!

`Bolt-in to CCR spec is a good thing. Who knows, maybe no one will ever sit back there again and you can weld it in!

Maybe! But it gonna be some time before that happens, because I've only had the car a few months and I'm *constantly* giving rides to friends and family.

I'm glad to hear that there are cabrios w/ bolt-in roll bars in NASA, though! I was already crushed that BMWCCA doesn't allow convertibles and roadsters at ALL!

I ran a '03 Must/Cobra convertible for two seasons wit a bolt in AutoPower bar.

It does not say much for the BMWCCA if it will not let convertibles or roadster run even when equipped with a roll bar. I guess that is why I do not see many Z3 Z4 playing on track.

Apparently, this is a relatively new rule with the BMWCCA. Something must have happened, I figure.

Thanks for letting me know you ran a 'vert with a bolt in roll bar! I'm gonna get a quote on Monday to have this local shop make one up for my car.

You know that the steel needs to be D.O.M. in order to past tech. Also make sure that when you sit in the car with your HELMET ON that it is lower than the Main Hoop.

Drawn Over Mandrel = DOM

For my 3700lb M3 cabrio, it could be either 2.00x.120 DOM or 2.00x0.095 CM, right? I'm going to have them build it as high as possible, while still allowing the top to close. Hopefully that is high enough to clear my helmet! I'm only 5'11", so I'm hoping that won't be an issue.

I have see at least 2 E46 M3 run HPDE at Rd Atl with NASA with no roll bars. I guess they were allowed to run due to the "active rollover protection"?