2007 Nats race/qual schedule

Adam Ginsberg

Gents,

According to the 2007 Event regs:

6. Qualifying

1) Friday qualifying will set the start order for Friday’s qualifying race. Friday’s qualifying race will set the start order for Saturday’s qualifying race.

2) The start order for the National Championship races on Sunday, September 16, 2007 will be based on the finish order from Saturday’s final qualifying race.

Based on that, does it mean there won't be an actual qual session on Saturday, that it will essentially be turned into another practice session??

i really liked the format to qual for the big show on sunday back in 2006. why the change?

I'm with ya on that one, Glenn....last year's format was very cool.

I already got punted off the track once this season, so I'm hoping I'm done with that for the year.

I already got punted off the track once this season, so I'm hoping I'm done with that for the year.

you do know Adam will be there, right?

If Adam's car had spun about 2 feet farther across the track at Iowa, neither of us might be going to the Nationals.

So now you punt other people.

I agree that last years Qualifying race format was cool, but it was an internal nightmare to administer for T&S, Race Director's and for many drivers to fully understand.

Hence, the modified version you see in print for 2007. Yes (at this time), Saturday will have a practice session in place of last years second qualifying session. We still want to reward consitency over the course of the whole event.

Hey, maybe we should add a THIRD qualifying race! One Friday, two on Saturday! How'd you like that?

Under the new format, consistency, or luck, at least in the first race is less critical than last year. Under the old format, if you broke in the first race but won the second race, you would have started mid-pack for the championship race. With the new format, you could miss the first qualifying race and potentially win the second and start on pole. So it makes that second race REALLY important.

the key to any regional championship is consistant performance's. that is why i liked the 2006 Nationlas format, it rewarded those who did well and made safe and high percentage moves. i can see alot of fender rubbing on saturday due to the high importance you have now placed on your finishing position in it. i thought that NASA was against that? i think we are setting ourselves up for a crash fest. we saw that in the 2005 SCCA runoffs, it was ugly and made them look really bad. i was highly disapointed in the little contact we had in CMC in 2006 (myself included).

as far as the burden on T&S, well let the class directors share some of that load. i dont see what is so hard about averaging the finishing position of 2 races to determine the grid for the 3rd race. fastest lap of the 2 qual races breaks any tie. i liked the 2006 format so much i was highly disapointed when i saw the 2007 format.

I liked the 2006 format. It gave drivers a fair opportunity to recover from a major mishap. Sure that's part of racing, but getting knocked off, punted or otherwise getting screwed by someone elses actions will be extemely frustrating, especially on Saturday.

By averaging the races, consistansy is still strongly rewarded. However a fast drivers who gets caught in someone elses misfourtune can still salvage a desent start if the races are averaged.

In American Iron there was very little passing up front. For the top 7-9 postions the qualifying order was the finishing order on Sunday.

Of course, we'll all deal with what ever is presented. Just adding my two cents.

i also wanted to point out that now those drivers who are willing to park it in the gravel traps to avoid another driver who makes a mistake or to avoid an accident not caused by him/her will now think twice about it on saturday as the penalty is now steep. i think enough people have spoken out here to at least take a 2nd look at this issue. i cannot express enough how strongly i feel about this. please go back to the 2006 format.

I agree that last years Qualifying race format was cool, but it was an internal nightmare to administer for T&S, Race Director's and for many drivers to fully understand.

Interesting....I'm unsure why it was so hard for drivers to understand how it worked. Pretty simple stuff, IMO.

Glenn has a great suggestion - allow the class directors to handle more of this load. That's what they're there for. If there aren't enough volunteers, I'd be glad to help out in any way possible.

Hence, the modified version you see in print for 2007. Yes (at this time), Saturday will have a practice session in place of last years second qualifying session. We still want to reward consitency over the course of the whole event.

IMO, you aren't rewarding consistency for the entire week - you've made the Saturday race critical to starting up front for Sunday's race, and made Friday's race no where near as important. It only rewards them for a good finish on Sat.

Hey, maybe we should add a THIRD qualifying race! One Friday, two on Saturday! How'd you like that?

Ummmm.....no.

Add another to the "06 Format" column. I was forced off during the Saturday race to avoid contact and thanks to my Friday performance I was able to start the Championship race on the second row.

Didn't the CMC champion win from the last row? Qualifying position is over-rated IMHO...

Things might have worked out a bit differently in that race had the start not been botched so badly.

Guys,

Since many of the folks posting are either CMC and/or from Texas, I thought I'd chime in. From what I saw & heard, NASA changed from last years format because it was so labor intensive. There were many complaints from T&S, Race Directors and drivers who didn’t get final grids until late Saturday night or Sunday morning. It took on average 3 hours to produce a final starting grid per class, far too long to keep everyone working (or waiting) on Saturday night before the big show. It just wasn’t fair for anyone.

Like many of you, I too liked last year's qual format better. I've been asked to be the CMC/FFR Race Director this year at the Nationals and will work with Bryan and the NASA staff to possibly relook at this and see if it can be done quicker/easier/better/faster the 2006 way.

So stay tuned...continuous improvement is a good thing!!!

-=- Todd Covini