Another cage question...

RallySol

The plates where the cage meets the car's body: do they have to be cold rolled or can they be hot rolled? Or is this a non-issue?

I like california rolls and lots of wasabi !!!

most of us fabricated our plates cut from a large piece of sheet metal.

No fuss, just build it within the confines of your class rules. Check out cages in cars similar to yours.

I hope this helps.

Best of luck.

Hot-rolled steel is primarily used in frames and is thick and non malleable (not easy to bend). Cold-rolled steel is thinner, more uniform in thickness and relatively easy to form. Get cold-rolled steel and the heaviest guage that you can form to make the footings. Spend time cutting and fitting the plates to match the surrounding forms. Matching the wall thickness of the cage tubing is also a good idea. Use cardboard to make a pattern first and then it will be a template for your plates. Flip it over for matching left/right plates.

We are making cages for HotRod and Super Chevy's CMC cars and try to be creative getting the cage uprights tied into the existing unibody shock mounts and frame rails and "wrapping" the mounting plates into the existing structure. The idea is to spread out the load so the plates don't punch through if impact loaded in a violent rollover. You can't do this with rigid hot-rolled steel unless it is thin enough to form.

As always talk to a reputable cage builder and they will usually be glad to give recommendations and check out cages built at the track and online.

...We are making cages for HotRod and Super Chevy's CMC cars and try to be creative getting the cage uprights tied into the existing unibody shock mounts and frame rails and "wrapping" the mounting plates into the existing structure. ...

There are specific limitations as to how far from a centerline through the rear suspension points you are legally permitted to mount the rear bars. A couple cars at Nationals were disqualified for not having the rear of the cage attached properly. NO suspension points are to be in contact with the cage.

There are specific limitations as to how far from a centerline through the rear suspension points you are legally permitted to mount the rear bars. A couple cars at Nationals were disqualified for not having the rear of the cage attached properly. NO suspension points are to be in contact with the cage.

That's not true in all classes.. in ST and SU, just about anything goes. But for most everything else this would be the case. FYI

...We are making cages for HotRod and Super Chevy's CMC cars and try to be creative getting the cage uprights tied into the existing unibody shock mounts and frame rails and "wrapping" the mounting plates into the existing structure. ...

That's not true in all classes.. in ST and SU, just about anything goes. But for most everything else this would be the case. FYI

I guess I wasnt clear, causing my post to be taken out of context.

I refered to "CMC" rules.

I didnt say "CMC", but with the quote, I inferred the reference.

We all know making assumptions just gets you in trouble.