New gauges where do I tap in to install sensors ?

Chuck T.

Title says most of it.

I have 4 new auto meter gauges, Voltmeter was easy.

Where do I install the water temp, oil temp, and oil pressure sensors ?

Oil pressure is going in the stock location.

I would like to keep the stock water temp gauge...

What does the oil can symbol light on the stock gauge pod tell me ? Oil level ? What the battery symbol say ?

Thanks

Chuck

I did oil temp with a screw in plug (replaced oil drain plug) in the bottom of the pan. My oil temp is electrical.

For the rest I just use stock. The oil light tells you when pressure goes really really low. It is intergrated in to the stock sender.

Some later cars like 88's also have oil level senders. These are often removed when installing the trap door pan baffle.

I did oil temp with a screw in plug (replaced oil drain plug) in the bottom of the pan. My oil temp is electrical.

For the rest I just use stock. The oil light tells you when pressure goes really really low. It is intergrated in to the stock sender.

Some later cars like 88's also have oil level senders. These are often removed when installing the trap door pan baffle.

That sounds real easy to install ... I like that ! whats a good max temp in the pan ?

Thanks Joe

Would you happen to have a part number for that?

Thanks!

No part number.

I guy on rennlist make them up. I think it was Brad-cam, but I could be wrong. He was doing batch of 50 or so. We had to get the senders ourselves. Do search in the 944/951 forum and also the 951 only forums about it and I am sure you can find the group buy info.

As for temps.

Max I have seen with my 951 oil cooler is 260F (I think anyway...) on 100F+ day in racing conditions. That is pretty hot, but given the super air temps I figure that is about the max it will get to. I try really hard not to get on it hard without the temp being at least 180F and often see 230.

I bought 3 VDO gauges from German Parts and Restoration in San Louis Obisbo, CA. Oil Temp, Water Temp and Oil Pressure, they fit perfectly into the 3 holes on the console of an early 85. The oil drain plug has a temp. sensor, but it is smaller than the the drain plug that fits the oil pan, so I took the factory drain plug to a machine shop, had it drilled and threaded in the middle to fit the new drain plug into it. Has been working well for over a year now.