Transponder for NASA events

indianam3

That will work just fine but most of us use this "direct powered" unit instead so you can "set it and forget it".

amd1722.jpg

Be sure to wire into a circuit that is live with your ignition so that your battery doesnt drain and you dont forget to turn it on.

Also, a transponder thread isnt really appropriate for HPDE since there are no lap times taken in HPDE as a rule.

You might want to move this thread to a more appropriate location.

best of luck.

Perhaps for HPDE4 as that group often includes TT here on the right coast.

But as a rule the HPDE guidlines prohibit any kind of time keeping. Typically a first time poster is an HPDE1 driver unless said poster identifies themselves otherwise.

I dont want to see someone blow $300+ on a transponder that they do not yet have the credentials to properly use.

• Members
Be sure to wire into a circuit that is live with your ignition so that your battery doesnt drain and you dont forget to turn it on.

I would suggest that you do NOT connect it to your ignition circuit but one that is live with your ignition turned on. I have seen many transponders fried due to feedback in the ignition circuit. to be more succinct: don't connect it to the hot side of your coil even though it is the "best source" for power.

Clarification: SoCal allows transponders in HPDE3/4. If you are going that far in the process or are already at that level, when you get the transponder from AMB at the site MyLaps.com they will have your complete lap records when you begin racing.

The reason you don't want to focus on lap times early in your development is it is a distraction to the normal process of learning the line and gaining consistency and smoothness.

Clarification: SoCal allows transponders in HPDE3/4. If you are going that far in the process or are already at that level, when you get the transponder from AMB at the site MyLaps.com they will have your complete lap records when you begin racing.

The reason you don't want to focus on lap times early in your development is it is a distraction to the normal process of learning the line and gaining consistency and smoothness.

The Insurance thing has been covered in a different thread but adding a transponder seems to cross the line from education to competition.

...a circuit that is live with your ignition ...

... one that is live with your ignition turned on. ...

Jim, are picking up on that echo in here? Is NASA removing the carpets in this place or something?

which unit to buy?

Do what you want, but the direct powered unit is the best way to go. Even if you have multiple vehicles you can put an electrical connector inline and mount it to something that can be quick released. problem solved.

Bottom line, one less thing to worry about, ie battery status.

I've seen more issues with missed hits out of direct wire transponders than battery ones

my $0.02 + experience

thats cool. I havnt heard that about direct wired units.

I have only heard that staying ontop of charging is another responsibility that may bite you in the butt if forgotten. Hence mine are direct wire.

I hope I never have any issues with mine. ( I have purchased 3 of them ).

I've seen more issues with missed hits out of direct wire transponders than battery ones

my $0.02 + experience

yep, me too BUT, it is always either a wiring deficiency or a placement issue

Thanks for all the feedback, I have about 20-25 schools overall, with about 45% at mid-ohio, I don't have data aquision or lap timing equipment in my car, as BMW CCA greatly discourages timing equipment at any of their events. I just wanted some accurate lap times each year to gauge improvement based on modifications I have made to the car. I drive a 1991 e30 m3 and will do 2 events at mid-ohio with NASA this year. (last year was my first NASA event) I do not desire to race, and do not think I will change my mind any time soon, but you never know.

So that has nothing to do with the direct wired unit, that is a "stupid human" error.
probably not stupid, just that splicing into wiring always has ways of making you wish you took the time to do it correctly eventually. Plus, it is a radio transmitter that depends on input voltage to be in the correct range in order to provide max output. Bad wiring(voltage drop), combined with poor placement = weak signal into the loop

That's correct Sean. Even at race sessions we have to check timing and scoring to verify that all the radio placement/wiring charged-up stuff is working.

For best data to really improve, check out MAXQData website especially if you already have a Windows 5 bluetooth PDA. It's awesome! We are using them for an SoCal Advanced Racer/HPDE 4 TT Driving/Racing Clinic. An advanced instructor watching your incar video and experienced incar instructor feedback is invaluable. You can review data at lunch or after the fact to avoid "distractions" during the track day.

No one should be deemed "stupid" at NASA forums for not knowing this stuff.

Let's keep it positive people . . .

That's correct Sean. Even at race sessions we have to check timing and scoring to verify that all the radio placement/wiring charged-up stuff is working.

For best data to really improve, check out MAXQData website especially if you already have a Windows 5 bluetooth PDA. It's awesome! We are using them for an SoCal Advanced Racer/HPDE 4 TT Driving/Racing Clinic. An advanced instructor watching your incar video and experienced incar instructor feedback is invaluable. You can review data at lunch or after the fact to avoid "distractions" during the track day.

No one should be deemed "stupid" at NASA forums for not knowing this stuff.

I am pretty sure Colin meant no disrespect. I know him and he certainly is very willing to assist anyone ho needs it. I am guessing he means "lack of attention to detail..." rather than lack of intelligence.

Remember, your TX is what counts your laps, determines your position so it should be installed and maintained as well as your 'go fast' equipment is.

...No one should be deemed "stupid" at NASA forums for not knowing this stuff.

...Colin meant no disrespect. I know him and he certainly is very willing to assist anyone ho needs it. I am guessing he means "lack of attention to detail..." rather than lack of intelligence...

Thanks Sean. No harm intended. your interpretation is infact not what I was shooting for either.

Havnt any of you guys watched David Letterman? Dont you know the "Stupid Human tricks" segment? OK, so work with me here.....this is a stretch....now what about computer errors? Then you have "stupid user errors"......now lets throw it all in a pot.....and WHA-LA ! We have a Stupid Human Error! Brilliant, yes I know, thanks.

Seriously now: I was just trying to point out that an issue was identified above regarding a piece of timing equipment, then it was identified that said issue could really be related to installation. So initially it was to be assumed that we were looking at a manfacturing defect when infact as it turns out the real issue could be improper installation, or an "End User" issue.

I cleverly summed ALL THAT UP with a cute phrase of "stupid human error". Now obviously as I proof read my post several times and ran it by my linguist and my public relations people, ( not ), I should have caught the fact that some how, even by a stretch, someone MIGHT be offended. Those that know me know I am not a jerk. I stand by that one.

I hope that clears that up in a thousand words or less.

...No one should be deemed "stupid" at NASA forums for not knowing this stuff.

...Colin meant no disrespect. I know him and he certainly is very willing to assist anyone ho needs it. I am guessing he means "lack of attention to detail..." rather than lack of intelligence...

Thanks Sean. No harm intended. your interpretation is infact not what I was shooting for either.

Havnt any of you guys watched David Letterman? Dont you know the "Stupid Human tricks" segment? OK, so work with me here.....this is a stretch....now what about computer errors? Then you have "stupid user errors"......now lets throw it all in a pot.....and WHA-LA ! We have a Stupid Human Error! Brilliant, yes I know, thanks.

Seriously now: I was just trying to point out that an issue was identified above regarding a piece of timing equipment, then it was identified that said issue could really be related to installation. So initially it was to be assumed that we were looking at a manfacturing defect when infact as it turns out the real issue could be improper installation, or an "End User" issue.

I cleverly summed ALL THAT UP with a cute phrase of "stupid human error". Now obviously as I proof read my post several times and ran it by my linguist and my public relations people, ( not ), I should have caught the fact that some how, even by a stretch, someone MIGHT be offended. Those that know me know I am not a jerk. I stand by that one.

I hope that clears that up in a thousand words or less.

I understood what you meant I do stupid human tricks all the time.

Does anyone know if they allow AMB transponders in HDPE 3/4 in NorCal? I have bunch of track events under my belt + Racing schools, so I think it's time I start timing my self.

I don't want to run my car in TT just yet.

I don't want to run my car in TT just yet.

May I ask why? It sounds like you are ready and in many other regions TT is often run in HPDE 4 anyway.

• 4 months later...

Just a thought. I use a trickle charger on most of my cars from time to time as many sit.

I bought the Black and Decker unit from Walmart, it comes with (3) different ends for the charger. One with eyelets, one with regular clips and one with little roach clips on it. I cut the clips and roach clips off and installed eyelets on each one and then put one of these on each car. Now I leave it tucked away under the hood and can plug the trickle charger into any car in just 2 seconds.

If anyone else does this you can put the same end on your transponder to plug it directly to the battery and then switch it from car to car (if you drive multiple cars). Pretty slick connection. The trickle charger is about $20.

As for the transponder and timing. I agree that HPDE is for learning and not timing. I am a rule breaker though and from the very first day I ever tried HPDE I had someone hitting me with a stop watch. I have a goal to race and I think learning that what you are doing is actually making you not only more aware, smoother etc., but is also making you faster is important. Atleast it was to me.

My first lap at Mid Ohio was close to 3 minutes. By the 2nd day they were 2:05's. After having an instructor drive my car to show me the right way around the track (he ran 1:56) I was able to drop to a 1:59 by the 3rd day at the track. I am running the same car now on worse tires and have gone 1:50's. I guess being a drag racer my entire life has me glued to the clock and going on a race track without a timer of some sort doesn't make sense to me.

I've talked to a lot of guys this year that could care less and have never timed themselves nor do they care to. Difference in personalities I guess.

I will be doing my first HPDE3 event this weekend and cannot wait to be allowed to use that transponder in HPDE4!!

BTW, is there any group purchases on the transponders put together?

• 2 years later...

It seems that NASA (SoCal specifically) provides hpde 3 lap times at the track, but only posts up hpde4 / tt / and race groups lap times' to mylaps.com. They have the data, why don't they push it to mylaps.com?

Jason