'97 miata - first turbo, then what?

bradnr

I just purchased a '97 1.8L miata. I miss the power I had in my 02 Z06 Vette, so I'm going to put a big turbo in it. The car already has coil overs and bigger sway bars. If I put a big turbo, will the transmission hold? What other mods should I consider (brakes, rims, aluminum radiator, strip power-steering, new clutch, etc) and in what order?

Thanks for your time...

Am I correct that as soon as I put a turbo on it, I get thrown into TTS? How do I mod the miata so that I can be competitive in whatever class I'm in...

Thanks

Its a gentle balancing act. The miata already has a great handling benefit. Once you resolve its guttless issue....then you get thrown to the dogs. Forced inducted Miatas are wild.

Best of luck.

with the turbo, you'd need to dyno and weigh the car in competition trim

it would then be reassigned a base class, somewhere alot lower than TTS though I'm sure unless you're running a REALLY crazy turbo setup and REALLY low weight...

do everything to get that temp down that you can. For tires, I'd do 225\45 or 50\15s. If you get wheelspin at mach 1, then do the taller 225 50s. Also, Sport Compact cat did a few interseting articles on one recently. They ran KW Varient 3s and some downforce and pulled 1.08 on a 200 ft skidpad on DOT slicks. Just remember to make it bombproof before you make it fast.

do everything to get that temp down that you can. For tires, I'd do 225\45 or 50\15s. If you get wheelspin at mach 1, then do the taller 225 50s. Also, Sport Compact cat did a few interseting articles on one recently. They ran KW Varient 3s and some downforce and pulled 1.08 on a 200 ft skidpad on DOT slicks. Just remember to make it bombproof before you make it fast.

only 1.08? geez we pulled 1.014 on street tires in a Neon during One Lap sure you didn't mean 1.8?

nope, only 1.08 on avon tech r a's.

Maybe there wasn't enough torque to push the car any harder?

I kid, I kid.

p.s. When will NASA start Spec Miata X? I'd love to run a turbo'ed Miata. The turbine should quiet down the angry bee sound and add the turbo whine that I've grown so fond of.

• 1 month later...

I realize this is pretty hard to guess at but I'm in the same boat. I'm planning to turbo my Miata as well. With R comps and my Ground Control I would be 3 points away from TTF. I would very much like to get this turbo on and run 7lbs. I'm thinking I wouldn't be much more then about 180whp. I would hope that I wouldn't be up running with full loaded Z06's and hooked up M3's. Has anyone done this and where did you end up?

Brad if you are doing the turbo swap you definetly will want a all aluminum radiator. People normally use either PWR or Koyo. TDR, good-win, and Flyin Miata all sell them. The 5 Speed tranny is not always the best, though they are cheap to replace. People have swapped to the 6 speed and it seems that its better (although I don't know if adding USDM parts from the same model of car gets you points). Hit up http://www.miataturbo.com for more questions!!

what Miata do you have strider that allows you to do at least 10 points of modifications and stay in "F"? the lowest base class Miata only has 5 points remaining to stay in "F"....

5 pts for RA1s or NT01s (lowest point tire)

5 pts for basic coilovers (or 3 pts shocks, 2 pts springs)

anyway, to answer your question, there is a turbo Miata in Southeast region that was put into TTC. I don't recall his power or weight off the top of my head however...

Get your setup together power and weight wise, dyno it and weigh it. Send the info to Greg and I promise you'll get a reasonable new base class

Hmm maybe I purhaps I miss read the rules then. I have a 99 NB 1.8 Miata with...

KYB AGX shocks

Front sway bar

muffler replacement (roadstersport III)

Sparco Evo with 5 point Harness

Roll bar

I have Ground Control for it that is not installed yet.

I was under the impression that you are in a base class then have 19 point to spend, that 20th point ejects you to then next class. I guess I will have to go and read the rules more closely.

you've forgotten to add in the points for the (*) next to the base class, which the 1.6l is TTF** (starts with 14 points automatically) and the 1.8 starts in "E" with no stars

so you're right about the points you have to spend at least

Ken is there any way you get get me in touch with this guy or get me some details about his weight and hp numbers? I know where about I will be in HP but not it weight.....

his name is Daniel Kuhn, and I don't have any contact info for him...

its possible Greenbaum may be able to give you a couple of options if you know your WHP (ie new base class TTD @ some weight, TTD* @ a lower weight, etc) but if you know at least a range that would help out I'm sure